cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Add Ons, International Calls

DKL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Need Help. 

I just purchased $15 worth of 300 min of International Talk add-on. But when trying to make the international call, the call won't go through and the voice message states international talk time needs to be purchased. The call is going to the Caribbean. Why is this? What can I do to fix this?

Help please!

12 REPLIES 12

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Barbados is expensive to call from Canada, just in general, they have the highest long distance rates, but you can buy a digital calling card online and add it to your phone.  You can set up the pin on your phone with the calling card's number, then when you call Barbados, you call the card first (save it as a contact on your phone) and then call Barbados.  I would go with Phone Visa calling card, they have the lowest long distance rates for Barbados and are similar in price for all other countries.  Here is a link to the website where you can check out various calling cards to suit your needs:

https://www.phonecardsplus.ca/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?to_countries=84

You can always go to a store that sells calling cards (if stores are open in your area) and just buy one for $10 and use it until it runs out.  I find that's the cheapest and easiest way to make long distance calls from my cell phone. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DKL : I agree the stupid chatbot is frustrating to use but it's the method to get into typing with actual humans.

Yes, a voip app would work fine. TextNow seems popular around here. It does voice and text.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@DKL 

I would recommend if the International add-on did not meet your hopes for included areas that you request that Public Mobile consider adding the amount paid for the add-on to your Available Balance.   There's no guarantee they will - but they may...

This way, you'd have $15 to apply toward your next scheduled renewal.

Ask the Moderators nicely, explain your situation, worth a shot!!!

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

DKL

I was going to go with Skype, but 300 min for $15 was a better deal. This is why speaking to a moderator is important, and not a robot.  Don't be shy to employ people Public Mobile 

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DKL :You should try writing to the moderator team to ask for refund they might consider giving you one. As for other options, try using app called Fongo there is a fee for calling to Barbados, also you can register your Public cell phone number with company called Yak long distance it charged a fee too.

Also apps like Signal Private Messenger are free if you both have it, and of course you can always texts to Barbados free too with Public.

Oracle365
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If there's no way to make it the call work through Public Mobile, then maybe you could do a voice call over Facebook messenger, Skype, or the like...Hopefully, someone else has a Public Mobile solution.

Oracle365
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I wonder if it might be possible for you to receive incoming international calls from Barbados. For example, arrange the call by email or text and then have the person call you? Not sure, but might be worth a shot.

DKL

I'm trying to call Barbados. +1 246 ....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DKL : Again...there's no country called Caribbean. What exact country are you trying to call?

The list of countries is above in the fine print. I think this is the catch-all place to show it seeing as how all the others list the specific countries. Obviously there isn't enough room in the purchasing area to list all the countries included.

DKL

I strongly believe all that should of been stated, written in bold, within the check out area, before one clicks to make the transaction.

What can I do to transfer the money to make a Caribbean call?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DKL : Caribbean is an area and body of water...not a country. So Puerto Rico is the only place to call of any of the islands in the Caribbean. Or a couple countries on the continent that have Caribbean coast lines.

You _might_ be able to call a couple US protectorates with US calling. You _might_ be able to call some other protectorates with other add-ons. We'd all be happy to learn what you discover.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DKL , these are the included countries for the add-on you purchased.  Caribbean is not included.  

Included countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France,Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Venezuela

Need Help? Let's chat.