cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Public Mobile to Koodo, will my phone number expire?

Ataxangder
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I recenetly got an offer from koodo that expires on Sept 4 and my PM plan lasts until Aug 27 before I have to pay again. I just accepted the offer on koodo's website and pressed the transfer phone number button. Do I have to wait for the sim card to be mailed to me before my phone number is transferred? Will my public mobile sim card continue to work until Aug 27? If the sim card doesn't arrive by Aug 27, will my PM plan just expire and I lose my phone number?

Thank you for your time.

10 REPLIES 10

kelly0032003
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK I just got a response from a moderator.  So the money that has already been spent is gone there is no prorating.  However the credits you currently can be transferred to a friend or relative that is staying with public mobile.  (In this case my husband will be getting my credits)

It is unlikely the sim will be received before the 27th, as that is Monday.  I didn’t think of the suggestion by @will13am, which would ensure things are completed before the 27th.  It is in fact the better option, but is it convenient for @Ataxangder.

edit .... oops, tagged wrong poster originally..

@Ataxangder @stonechucker yes, that is what I meant when I said to put a $10 plan on the account to keep it active until the Koodo sim was received. Sorry about the wording.

Edit. I fixed the wording to read properly.

@krazykiwi, as I explained earlier in this very thread, a plan in the 90 no pay period CANNOT port out the number, as it is inactive.

@Ataxangder Must either continue the current plan, or change to something cheaper to ensure the plan is active, and remove AutoPay (if enabled) prior to completing the process.

@Ataxangder wrote:

The main reason that I am doing this online is that Koodo waives the $30 Sim card fee if you buy it online and the cheapest plan on Pm is $10 for 30 days.

However if I knew before hand of the hassle, I would have just spent the additional $30.

I don't see any hassle. Your PM number will work until your due date (27th) or insert you Koodo Sim and port the number. And you need to leave your account active to be able to port. As long as you don't have autopay enabled and you do not port before the 27th than your number will stop working and like was mentioned earlier, you have 90 days to update your accounbt. $10 is not much to keep your PM account active until you receive your Koodo sim and able to port your number. That is in my opinion but I also don't see not having to pay for a sim as a reason to go to another carrier that charges more. Hope that clarifies.

Ataxangder
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The main reason that I am doing this online is that Koodo waives the $30 Sim card fee if you buy it online and the cheapest plan on Pm is $10 for 30 days.

However if I knew before hand of the hassle, I would have just spent the additional $30.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ataxangder, in your case I highly recommend going to a store and getting the activation done right away.  If the previous migration is any indication of the lead time for getting the SIM card, you could be waiting a week or more for online orders.  It makes no sense to pay another cycle and lose all that usage. 

@kelly0032003, a port cannot be completed if a plan is not active.  Your suggestion will not work.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

As you don't have the SIM yet, your number should still be fully active on your PM sim.

You will need to keep your PM plan active UNTIL you complete the port with Koodo.

Depending on which plan you're currently on, I would suggest possibly future-dating a plan change for your NEXT RENEWAL (Aug 27) now, to a plan that gives you as little as you can use for a few days while waiting.

For example, in you're on a 90-day plan right now, switch to a 30-day plan for your Aug 27 renewal.  Also, consider dropping data about (if you can) and also consider province-wide calling instead of Canada wide (if you can) 

The last step, BEFORE you complete the port, turn off AutoPay.

kelly0032003
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You  can go 90 days of not paying for your service before you lose your number.  The only thing you lose between the time  your service with koodo starts and the time you your service with Public mobile ends is no phone usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.