cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Switch plans or leave?

@Alexo  if you are in BC or Alberta, shaw just launched a new mobile service.  Might be worth checking out. Especially if you have shaw internet 

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Has anyone tried tethering the "3G" data to the desktop or laptop?

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alexo wrote:

Has anyone tried tethering the "3G" data to the desktop or laptop?

Yes, it works but if you're on a "3g" plan, you'll only get a speed of about 3Mbps when you're connecting to the LTE network. Speed isn't the main thing to be concerned about, but rather the extremely low amount of data that carriers include in these mobile data plans.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yes, it works but if you're on a "3g" plan, you'll only get a speed of about 3Mbps when you're connecting to the LTE network.

I realize that.  I was wondering how slow does it feel.

Highlighted

@Alexo wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yes, it works but if you're on a "3g" plan, you'll only get a speed of about 3Mbps when you're connecting to the LTE network.

I realize that.  I was wondering how slow does it feel.

It's fine for most websites. Obviously, sites with more graphics and media will take longer to load, but that's no different than on a mobile device, although desktop version of websites are usually loaded on a computer system.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can still play Minecraft and watch 30+ min YouTube videos without problem, no diff than when I had virgin's LTE.... the only diff was that I was paying more for nothing.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Alexo 

You will use less data with throttled 4G LTE than full speed. To show you the difference without burning thru a whack of data doing a speedtest i played the same 3:01 min music video from YouTube. The first with throttled  4G LTE and the second with full speed 4G LTE. The first video used 2.7mb and the second video used 13mb (12.82mb). The full speed 4G LTE used approximately 4 times as much data performing the same task as the throttled 4G LTE data.Screenshot_20200607-194217_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200607-194210_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200607-194553_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200607-194612_Settings.jpg

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Alexo it if you want a faster download speed than 3mb, you can switch preferred network type to 3g HSPA and you'll get faster download speeds from 7mb-21mb depending where you are

speedtest 3g.jpeg

Highlighted

@gpixel4 wrote:

@Alexo it if you want a faster download speed than 3mb, you can switch preferred network type to 3g HSPA and you'll get faster download speeds from 7mb-21mb depending where you are

Since you're saying that it depends on where you are, there are places that it tops out at about 42Mbps. I've personally tested at about 35Mbps but that's going to happen only under near perfect network conditions.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 thanks for bringing that up. that is really good for 3g! wow! I know that's not a consistent speed, but 👌

Need Help? Let's chat.