cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch plans or leave?

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am currently on an old plan that gives me unthrottled data but it isn't very competitive so I was thinking of moving off of it.

Current options under consideration are:

1. Switch to the $40/5GB throttled plan.

2. Move to Zoomer's $36/5GB/800min plan.

Advantages of PM:

- Slightly cheaper if my $8/mo rewards are carried over (do they?)

- Unlimited calling vs 800 min (although can use Hangouts/Fongo)

Advantages of Zoomer:

- Full-speed data -- this can be significant when tethering

- $100 activation credit + $50 referral credit

- Free phone (G7 play)

So far the Zoomer plan looks more attractive.

What are your thoughts?

29 REPLIES 29

People talk about greener pastures to mean a  situation than the one they are in now. Let's be honest here, sometimes changing a new provider is better in their scenario.

Speaking for myself, the last three years have been the most rewarding in savings compared to the 20+ years with Telus and Fido. And yes, I know Public Mobile is with Telus too!

The sad part is if he comes back, he starts at '0'...okay $2 for Autopay!

Although I would not trust any Zoomer product how does international calling and for use in USA add-ons compare? I like the add-ons with PM because they don’t expire till used up and I like the idea of paying for short periods of time for calling while in the USA. Why pay for a plan for two years that allows use while in USA if you only go there for a few weeks per year?

Just remembered one of my other fees that "disappeared " by switching from Rogers to Public Mobile was the 911 fee. I wonder if that gets added on top of zoomers advertised plan rates like Rogers.

@Alexo 

That s the best line ive heard in a long time!

"I think it'll be good, it's basically fido"

Famous last words.......enjoy your new service provider!

if he wants to, he's got 30 days money back guarantee... try it out and make a post in the community on what you think about it and any extra fees 

I think it'll be good, it's basically fido

@Alexo 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez. Did you read the details? No thank you. I prefer keeping the old $10 plan here or even the $15 plan where the calling just stops. Not interested in all those overage fees. But that's looking at their $18 and $22 plans. I'm not interested in paying more than that every month.

I looked at some of the others and still I would prefer this place.

The add-ons are monthly...not just until consumed.

Read the fine print. 🙂

Alexo

I would, but unfortunately the Zoomer promotion will be over by then.

@Alexo 

Did you consider as someone else mentioned...if you’ve decided to leave anyway, delay by 30 days and try the $40/5Gb 3G plan out just so you know what it is like for you in case you decide to come back again. You can schedule the plan change to happen automatically on your next renewal date and then you have 30 days to see if “3G like” Speeds feel any different to you. If you still want to head for greener pastures after this test then you can port out to wherever and you at least tried the other options. More difficult to test this later as you have to get a new SIM card etc...

It sounds like you put quite a bit of thought into it. I would take advantage of the chance to try it out for 30 days. 

JMHO.... AE_Collector

Alexo

Thank you all for your comments.

It's been a fun ride but it is time for a change.

I believe I can keep my community account active, so if any of you wants to hear about my experience with the other provider, shoot me a message in a week or so.

Take care!

@Alexo 

You will use less data with throttled 4G LTE than full speed. To show you the difference without burning thru a whack of data doing a speedtest i played the same 3:01 min music video from YouTube. The first with throttled  4G LTE and the second with full speed 4G LTE. The first video used 2.7mb and the second video used 13mb (12.82mb). The full speed 4G LTE used approximately 4 times as much data performing the same task as the throttled 4G LTE data.Screenshot_20200607-194217_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200607-194210_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200607-194553_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200607-194612_Settings.jpg

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can still play Minecraft and watch 30+ min YouTube videos without problem, no diff than when I had virgin's LTE.... the only diff was that I was paying more for nothing.

@Alexo  If you are used to full LTE you will definately notice the slower speed. 

@computergeek541 thanks for bringing that up. that is really good for 3g! wow! I know that's not a consistent speed, but 👌

@gpixel wrote:

@Alexo it if you want a faster download speed than 3mb, you can switch preferred network type to 3g HSPA and you'll get faster download speeds from 7mb-21mb depending where you are

Since you're saying that it depends on where you are, there are places that it tops out at about 42Mbps. I've personally tested at about 35Mbps but that's going to happen only under near perfect network conditions.

@Alexo it if you want a faster download speed than 3mb, you can switch preferred network type to 3g HSPA and you'll get faster download speeds from 7mb-21mb depending where you are

speedtest 3g.jpeg

@Alexo wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yes, it works but if you're on a "3g" plan, you'll only get a speed of about 3Mbps when you're connecting to the LTE network.

I realize that.  I was wondering how slow does it feel.

It's fine for most websites. Obviously, sites with more graphics and media will take longer to load, but that's no different than on a mobile device, although desktop version of websites are usually loaded on a computer system.

Alexo

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yes, it works but if you're on a "3g" plan, you'll only get a speed of about 3Mbps when you're connecting to the LTE network.

I realize that.  I was wondering how slow does it feel.

@Alexo wrote:

Has anyone tried tethering the "3G" data to the desktop or laptop?

Yes, it works but if you're on a "3g" plan, you'll only get a speed of about 3Mbps when you're connecting to the LTE network. Speed isn't the main thing to be concerned about, but rather the extremely low amount of data that carriers include in these mobile data plans.

Alexo

Has anyone tried tethering the "3G" data to the desktop or laptop?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alexo  if you are in BC or Alberta, shaw just launched a new mobile service.  Might be worth checking out. Especially if you have shaw internet 

Alexo

Thank you for the comments!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Alexo , I have to legacy 2016 fall promo plan as well.  I have considered switching to the newer plan and getting 1GB more per 30 days.  When I look at my usage pattern, I found the 12GB over 90 days to offer greater flexibility.  I have only ran out of data once in the roughly 4 years that I have been on the plan.  I don't make that many out of province calls.  Long story short, I would rather stay with the legacy plan than to go with a plan change.  

The zoomer plan you make reference to sounds very competitive when you factor in the free phone.  It is a tough call whether to stay or leave.  You will have to decide for yourself which option is best.  At the end of the day, stay loyal to your wallet.  Good luck with your decision.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Alexo 

I noticed you have $8 that you will lose if you switch.

One thing you could do is go down to 15 plan which will make it 7 and possibly less if you are due more loyalty or can get more referrals.

Right now Fido offers 4 gigs LTE for $10 data only plan, they also offer free tablet if you are willing to stick aroun for 2 years, that you can even sell if you don't want to use as e-reader and make your expenses even lower.

With the difference in savings you can get yourself nice 2 sim phone that will help you pull it all together

So for 17 or less you get 4.25 gigs of data. 

Just an option to consider

... What's Zoomer coverage like and how long do you sign up for to get the phone?

Zoomer is Rogers and you need to signup for a two year contract.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

If its a 30 day plan @Alexo  then the $8 will carry over. What's Zoomer coverage like and how long do you sign up for to get the phone? Choose the plan that's best for you. If you need the new phone go with Zoomer. Stay safe 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Alexo wrote:

I am currently on an old plan that gives me unthrottled data but it isn't very competitive so I was thinking of moving off of it.

Current options under consideration are:

1. Switch to the $40/5GB throttled plan.

2. Move to Zoomer's $36/5GB/800min plan.

Advantages of PM:

- Slightly cheaper if my $8/mo rewards are carried over (do they?)

@Alexo  The rewards are associated with your account and not your plan so they do in fact carry over so your cost would be $32 plus tax

- Unlimited calling vs 800 min (although can use Hangouts/Fongo)

I think that if you call Zoomer after 6 months they will switch you to unlimited  minutes  no advantage between PM and Zoomer.

Advantages of Zoomer:

- Full-speed data -- this can be significant when tethering Agree

- $100 activation credit + $50 referral credit Nice

- Free phone (G7 play) Need to signup two year contract to get this.

So far the Zoomer plan looks more attractive.

What are your thoughts? Your money, your choice. 😉

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Alexo Everything depends on your needs. PM's plans are cheaper + reward program system. Good deal for me.

The main reason to stay with Public Mobile is for rewards. Unfortunately, plan-wise if it weren't for rewards, I would say that Public Mobile has fallen behind, when compared to even some postpaid carrier offerings. You'll need to decide what's best for you.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Alexo, we can't help with this one.  You have to  do what is best for your wallet.  Yes your PM rewards will transfer over so you will still have those.  Have you considered switching the plan and finding out if the data speed really bothers you.  Many users here don't even notice a difference for their everyday needs.  Make the switch to the PM plan if you don't like it then go to Zoomer.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.