cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from province wide to Canada wide

shmish
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a province wide account with 6gb 4G LTE data (90 days). I need to switch to Canada wide calling but the only way I see to do it is to completely restart with a new plan. The new plans all look like they have 3G data which isn’t great. Is there any way to just upgrade to Canada wide? If not, how do new users get LTE? I only see super expensive data add ons.

9 REPLIES 9

@AE_Collector 

That is the dilemma......how much is that full speed 4G LTE data worth? If broken down to the per 30 days cost.

$45 - $15 (base plan+calls/texts)=$30÷2gb=$15/1gb the same price as add on data.

$40/5gb plan save $5/30 days and gain an extra 3gb of data and canada wide calling.($5/gb)

$35/3gb plan save $10/30 days and gain an extra 1gb of data and canada wide calling ($6.66/gb)

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@shmish 

Yes the biggest question is .. are you happy paying about $45 for 2 GB (average) per 30 days. The ONE benefit you get on a 90 day plan is if you tend to use quite a bit of data and then very little. The 90 day plan allows you to use most or all of your data when you want during the 90 days so it is a little bit like roll over data. On 30 day plans you cant do that as much. 

But considering you can get 2.5 times as much data for a bit less $$ (5 GB / $40) you are paying a real premium for the 4G/LTE speed you get. I would say that is 6 GB every 90 days that oyu have now is keeping you happy… you AREN’T a big data user and thus are even less likely to notice the reduction on 3G like speed. Most of the time your phone will remain on 4G LTE network but will be speed limited. And all current plans include Canada Wide calling, unlimited in & out except for the $15 plan.

As others have said, IF you need some canada wide calling just get the 1c a minute $5/500 minute add-on. Unless you are going to make thousands of minutes of outgoing calls to Canada other than your home province, that will do it for you. BUT, look seriously at changing to a better priced current plan.

AE_Collector

@shmish  it is a good weekend to think about mobile needs... Father's Day promotion

I am nice, let me to promote only plans from the Telus family..   Koodo has some good deal this weekend for the 10GB plan.. $40 (ontario) or $35 (BC) for the first year ($10 extra on the 2nd year).

So, depends on your need.  If you like the stay with PM, your current plan is good with LTE, but it comes with a price.  Current 3G plans are cheaper with more data.    However, Koodo (and other providers) could provide even better one on LTE if you decide to move to postpaid

@shmish wrote:

Thanks. Currently paying $135 for 90 days with loyalty discounts. It’s similar to Fido/Koodo etc which hover around $40/month.

@shmish 

About $45 per month for 2GB data.  

$35 plans of 3G speed data - 3GB data

$40 plans of 3G speed data - 5 GB data

You would save money each month, with more data per month but slower speed.  Most customers here use the 3G data speeds and no major complaints.  

Or you could shop around if you want LTE data.  With special promos, you likely can find better deals out there.  

@shmish 

How much canada wide calling are you planning to do? The $5/500 min add on is extremely cheap at $0.01/min and rolls over until completely consumed. You would lose your full speed 4G LTE data speed and data add ons come with the data speed that's on your plan so if you switched plans your add ons would be throttled 4G LTE to 3mbps.

shmish
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks. Currently paying $135 for 90 days with loyalty discounts. It’s similar to Fido/Koodo etc which hover around $40/month.

@shmish 

How much are you paying for the 90 day plan?  If you are paying too much, it might be worth changing to one of the 3G plans.  For most day to day uses of data, 3G speeds works fine.  Especially if you are a lighter user of data since you are likely not uploading/downloading often as you are averaging 2GB data per month.  

As mentioned above, buying the long distance add on $5 for 500 canada wide minutes is option.  Unused minutes do roll over to next month.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

All the current plans are 3G.  An option if you don't want to purchase an add-on would be to use apps like Signal, Fongo, Textnow or Skype.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@shmish wrote:

I have a province wide account with 6gb 4G LTE data (90 days). I need to switch to Canada wide calling but the only way I see to do it is to completely restart with a new plan. The new plans all look like they have 3G data which isn’t great. Is there any way to just upgrade to Canada wide? If not, how do new users get LTE? I only see super expensive data add ons.

Get the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on.

Edit..there are no LTE options for new PM customers ...yet.

Need Help? Let's chat.