cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: please add add-on for Canadian texting

popoxee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an old plan with only 50 outgoing text. Please add an add-on so I can purchase and get more text when I use it up.

14 REPLIES 14

krs99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It all depends on the competition an what they offer.

I use my ellphone very seldom and switched to PM because incoming calls don't count against minutes. That was because of a specific situation I was in which as of two months ago no longer applies.

So if PM offered a $10.-plan now, I would change to that and PM would be out $5.- each month. There are probable others for whom a 50 minute $10.- plan is adequate but unless PM can add more profit to the bottom line offering that, this is not going to happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krs99 wrote:

Did the old $10 plan offer discounts for autopay, loyalty etc.?

If not,or if a new $10.-plan doesn't, then it wouldn't make any sense to create a new $10.- plan or create a text add-on

@krs99 : It did. For low usage people it's a great plan.

Telus has a $10 plan but it's lesser than the old $10 plan was here. It was 50 local minutes not Canada-wide. Telus doesn't do add-ons the same way this place does. And overage charges up the wazoo.

If it were to come back, who knows what they would do to it. Pure speculation.

I would go so far as to suggest a base cost of $5 for the privilege of being connected to the network with nothing on it, simply as an account charge. Then add add-ons after that like talk and text and data that work like they do now. And all the rewards. Of course I'm dreaming. But this _is_ a suggestion thread. 🙂

krs99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did the old $10 plan offer discounts for autopay, loyalty etc.?

If not,or if a new $10.-plan doesn't, then it wouldn't make any sense to create a new $10.- plan or create a text add-on

really doubt PM will bring the text add-on plan for the small number of $10 plans users,  probably PM would try to convince them to upgrade to $15 instead .. 

@kselmak wrote:

@popoxee 

Having 500 texts for$5 would be just great, i agree.

I think we should first lobby Publicmobile to make that plan available again and then it will be easier to make a case for such add-on

This is only my opinion, but I don't believe that the $10 plan will ever be offered again, but if it were to be, I'm uncertain that it would be rewards-eligible.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@popoxee 

Having 500 texts for$5 would be just great, i agree.

I think we should first lobby Publicmobile to make that plan available again and then it will be easier to make a case for such add-on

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popoxee : You're not the first with this suggestion and not likely to be the last. There are a few folks around here that still have the $10 plan. I have 3. Love it. Minimum obligatory outlay. With all the gifts over the years I have plenty of minutes and data. Data for incidental browsing out of wifi and if out of texts then a ToIP (text over IP 🙂 ) app for those extra texting needs. Data add-ons come in at full 4G LTE speed. And of course even short of a ToIP app, you can use MMS.

But yes, for ease, I'd pay 5 bucks for say 1000 texts as an add-on to stay on the account until consumed. Even 500 to kinda coincide with the $5 500 minute add-on.

But this will never happen seeing as how the $10 plan is no longer with us.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:
There are instant messaging apps, but these require the use of the internet. As you were saing, they will work on Wi-Fi, but the $10 plan doesn't include any mobile data, so when the person is away from Wi-Fi, these apps become inaccessible.  I think that for this to be feasible, a custoemr would likely wish to purchase a data add-on.

That's actually another great idea for @popoxee to purchase a Data add-on for emergencies in case these "data-driven" messages need to be checked.  This amount would carry over into future months if used only sparingly so it could last a (very) long time.  It's not the ideal solution, but could be a weird workaround that would still be cheaper in the long run.  I have friends without data and they're happy checking their messages twice a day.  🙂

BlueB

@will13am 

This reminds me of a time before smartphones were around, where you'd spend extra $$$ once in a while to get extra texts for road trips or other special times when you'd need extra text messages.  Oh how things have changed... 🙂

@BlueB wrote:

For texts, you can also consider using an app that will send/receive messages with data (eg. on a wifi connection).  Popular ones include Whatsapp, Line, WeChat, Signal, etc.  I know it's not what you're looking for, but could be an option for "unlimited" texting if you're often within wifi.

There are instant messaging apps, but these require the use of the internet. As you were saing, they will work on Wi-Fi, but the $10 plan doesn't include any mobile data, so when the person is away from Wi-Fi, these apps become inaccessible.  I think that for this to be feasible, a custoemr would likely wish to purchase a data add-on.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

With the $15 plan, there will never be a text add-on which only has relevancy to those with the $10 plan.  Paying $5 per month more adds 50 minutes and 250MB data on top of unlimited text.  What's the implied cost for just unlimited text?  Not wortg doing.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

how much is your current plan.  the current $15 plan is ok given that it gives you unlimited text.

you might want to consider using TextNow for its free text and call service.  Yes, you will have another phone number, not as convivence, but it gives you free text and calls. 

BlueB

For texts, you can also consider using an app that will send/receive messages with data (eg. on a wifi connection).  Popular ones include Whatsapp, Line, WeChat, Signal, etc.  I know it's not what you're looking for, but could be an option for "unlimited" texting if you're often within wifi.

@popoxee wrote:

I have an old plan with only 50 outgoing text. Please add an add-on so I can purchase and get more text when I use it up.

A few customers have made this suggestion previously. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Public would ever release an add-on that can't be used with any of the currently offered plans. I'm sure you're aware of the $15 plan, and while I wouldn't know about your specific usage patterns, this would be good alternative for some customers.

Need Help? Let's chat.