cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen phone

Mike-m
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just over a week ago now my phone was stolen from a Tim Horton's while it was charging and I fell asleep (by accident). The culprit IS on surveillance footage at The Timmies location where it happened as confirmed from the store manager. Now while the police may or may not work on catching the person(s) invloved, Is there anyway that my account could be transfered over to a new Sim card seeing how I just paid 3 months in advanced.

-the sim is in lost stolen mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnak you in advanced.

30 REPLIES 30

Send a private message via the envelope icon upper right corner of this page to Moderator_Team.

Subject - URGENT : Stolen Phone to be blacklisted.

Mike-m

I originally did that and no moderator contacts you to blacklist the iphone, that just disables the sim.

@Mike-m  can you get into your self serve account you can report your phone stolen there

Mike-m

as silly as this may sound. How do I contact a moderator to blacklist my iphone?

Friesenj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Purchasing a new phone and sim card then requesting your info to be changed to the new sim card can be done very quickly in your account settings. Sad to hear about the phone hopefully you gain some justice!

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yeah.  I know it can be used sort of like a bike lock.  However, I'm not sure this product would be for most people. 

@computergeek541 well i was just trying to answer your original question, I wasn't tyring to say this is for everyone!

Presumably you woudln't really be able to use it much while it's in the case.  @Dogbert did mention drilling a hole in it so they could charge it while in the box, which might be helpful for the OP's scenario where the fell asleep in a Tim's while charging the phone and woke up to it gone.  I think the primary use of this box is is to protect the phone while you're not using it.  Maybe you're in a hotel where you don't trust the staff can't come in overnight and take your stuff while you sleep?  Presumably you could still make/take phone calls using a bluetooth headset, but yes you woudn't be able to do much else with it.  But again, I think it's for when it's not actively in your use. 

I've seen too many incidents where people lose their phone while it's being charged at the airport, only to panic when they can't find their phone & their electronic boarding pass on the phone.

People walk up and take a phone & charger; no one ever asks if that's their phone & charger.

With mine being in the box; no one is going to try to rip out the security cable, when there are others that are completely out in the open.  Note: The cable is approx. 3' long, so there's plenty of length to wrap around something larger.

charging-phone-incheon-airport

@Mike-mI would highly recommend you just walk to your local Apple Store.. they have all the tools and privileges that can get those numbers for you.

Alternatively you can get a replacement sim reactivated so the 2FA will be sent to your replacement phone. However I thought all Apple 2FA codes are sent to all Apple devices that are associated with that Apple ID.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yeah.  I know it can be used sort of like a bike lock.  However, I'm not sure this product would be for most people. 

@computergeek541 well i was just trying to answer your original question, I wasn't tyring to say this is for everyone!

Presumably you woudln't really be able to use it much while it's in the case.  @Dogbert did mention drilling a hole in it so they could charge it while in the box, which might be helpful for the OP's scenario where the fell asleep in a Tim's while charging the phone and woke up to it gone.  I think the primary use of this box is is to protect the phone while you're not using it.  Maybe you're in a hotel where you don't trust the staff can't come in overnight and take your stuff while you sleep?  Presumably you could still make/take phone calls using a bluetooth headset, but yes you woudn't be able to do much else with it.  But again, I think it's for when it's not actively in your use. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Dogbert wrote:

When I travel; I've purchased one of these and drilled a hole for the USB cable to charge at various places safely (link).  

What's to prevent someone from stealing this box?  

@computergeek541 I would guess this, from the product description:  "It includes a 1700 pounds-tested steel cable that’s handy for travel or attaching to stationary objects to prevent theft."

Yeah.  I know it can be used sort of like a bike lock.  However, I'm not sure this product would be for most people. How would someone use the phone while in this case/safe?   Also, the ability to tie the phone and case down to a desk wouldn't help if the phone is stolen from someone while that person is on the go.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Dogbert wrote:

When I travel; I've purchased one of these and drilled a hole for the USB cable to charge at various places safely (link).  

What's to prevent someone from stealing this box?  

@computergeek541 I would guess this, from the product description:  "It includes a 1700 pounds-tested steel cable that’s handy for travel or attaching to stationary objects to prevent theft."

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mike-m

When i Do that it wants to verify who i am by doing so it wants to send my phone a code, so no i cannot obtain the full serial or IME.

@Mike-mIf you want to look up your serial number IMEI and has another iOS device.. go into Settings.. click on your iCloud acount.. your iPhone should be listed there.. click on the iPhone and the full serial number and IMEI number will be there. Yes you will only see the last 5 digits if you go to icloud.com. I think it is a security feature as Apple can verify you a lot better with devices that has a secure enclave.

@Dogbert wrote:

When I travel; I've purchased one of these and drilled a hole for the USB cable to charge at various places safely (link).  I know it's not convenient, but neither is losing a phone on the road.

What's to prevent someone from stealing this box?  I would say for something such as this to be effective, the safe would have to be large and heavy enough for someone to not want to steal.  Yet, this product is advertised as portable and convenient.

@geopublic wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Mike-m 

Notsure why the police can't go to the carrier with the IMEI number to track down the thief?

Maybe because if the police is only dealing with iPhone thieves the real criminals will be having a party!

All cell phones have IMEI numbers that are traceable, what does iPhone have to do with it?

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When I travel; I've purchased one of these and drilled a hole for the USB cable to charge at various places safely (link).  I know it's not convenient, but neither is losing a phone on the road.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Mike-m 

Notsure why the police can't go to the carrier with the IMEI number to track down the thief?

Maybe because if the police is only dealing with iPhone thieves the real criminals will be having a party!

@Mike-m 

Also, once you switch your phone number to the new sim, the code for Apple ID will go to anyphone you put that sim in. That will give you access to your apple id page which will give you the IMEI number that you can use to blacklist the phone. Not sure why the police can't go to the carrier with the IMEI number to track down the thief?

@Mike-m wrote:

I just logged into find my iphone, but it wants to send a verification code to my stolen phone.It shows the last five characters of both the serial and IME. lol 😛

If you login into Apple ID  you will get the full Ser# and IMEI # however you do need to be able to receive the verification code to enter which will be sent to any device that your apple ID is associated with. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear that

I hope they do something about it

They didn't do anything for me when mine was stolen abd that was at the end of 90s when you would have only 100 or so minutes during the day.

I found the guys name and location, I just called the numbers that he called and talked to his girlfriend I gave all of the info to the inspector and they said thanks and nothing came of that except that I was warned to never contact them (edit: the guy or any of the people that he talked to using my phone) again. They probably already took out your sim, you should be able to log in and change your sim if you wish and continue your service. 

I really hope they find it and you get it back. 

Did you see the surveillance? 

Mike-m

I just logged into find my iphone, but it wants to send a verification code to my stolen phone.It shows the last five characters of both the serial and IME. lol 😛

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Mike-m  You should be able to change the sim in your self serve account.  Log into your account and look for the tab to change the sim.

As a precaution also send a private message to Moderator_Team in case there is any problems with the sim change.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

If you have multiple iOS or macOS devices, you should be able to find the IMEI info in iCloud or iTunes.

@Mike-m wrote:

unfortunately i do not know the IME off hand, but as far as Icloud and passcode locked up its fine. useless i would assume to anyone trying to sell or buy it.

Yes, you can retain the account, by doing the steps advised.

Mike-m

unfortunately i do not know the IME off hand, but as far as Icloud and passcode locked up its fine. useless i would assume to anyone trying to sell or buy it.

@Mike-m 

@Mike-m wrote:

But it is possible to retain plan, number, ETC?

If so that is great!

thank you kindly

Yes, you keep the same number and plan. You are just switching SIM cards. 

You may neeed to reactivate the old sim first in My Account, then do the SIM change in My Account afterwards.

Mike-m

But it is possible to retain plan, number, ETC?

If so that is great!

thank you kindly

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Mike-m 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. 

You can can buy a new SIM card and change the number in your self service account. Easy to do. 

You could also contact moderator to put your lost phone on the list/stolen blacklist if you know the IME. 

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Mike-m wrote:

Just over a week ago now my phone was stolen from a Tim Horton's while it was charging and I fell asleep (by accident). The culprit IS on surveillance footage at The Timmies location where it happened as confirmed from the store manager. Now while the police may or may not work on catching the person(s) invloved, Is there anyway that my account could be transfered over to a new Sim card seeing how I just paid 3 months in advanced.

-the sim is in lost stolen mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnak you in advanced.

Because your sim is already in lost/stolen mode you just need to buy another Sim card and go in your self-serve account to change the number of your Sim...tab PLAN/OPTION and CHANGE YOUR SIM.

rrr.png

Need Help? Let's chat.