cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no plan for Europe? Anything in the future?

77ALU77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Come on guys, that can´t be true that there are requests since forever to add a plan for Europe roaming. It is 2019. Is there any other mobile provider having no roaming in Europe or Asia or so many other parts of the world?

An additional question: I am at the moment in Europe, but did not set a forwarding to my German phone number or a virtual phone number. Anyone an idea how to do that now that I have no access to any mobile service because of no roaming?

Cheers, Alex

16 REPLIES 16

@SomeFriend wrote:

Vodafone UK has £10 prepaid plan that comes with 250 minutes, unlimited text, and 6GB LTE data.  Since free EU roaming is mandatory, I can take the plan while traveling anywhere.

If Brexit ever happens, that may no longer be the case.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Vodafone UK has £10 prepaid plan that comes with 250 minutes, unlimited text, and 6GB LTE data.  Since free EU roaming is mandatory, I can take the plan while traveling anywhere.

77ALU77

Is it? Just having a SIM doesn´t pay you a call to Canada. I normally pay for a call to Canada nearly 2,50$-ish from Germany with a German SIM / provider. If calls are with the 12$ from Telus completely included to Canada  (if your plan has a flat for calls in Canada) and national within Germany, Telus is the better deal with roaming.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@77ALU77 wrote:

Telus offers a 12$ per day plan for international roaming. And this occurs only if you use data, text or call or answer a call. Otherwise no costs. And when you are charged with these 12$ it lasts for 24h and covers all data / calls to Canada / calls within that country without additional costs. Thats not expensive. If that would be offered by public mobile, would be an option for me. Otherwise I consider Telus directly.

@77ALU77for the cost of two  or 3 days of roaming,  i could  get a local sim card, which is  a much better deal than paying $12/day. 

selva1

I like NSW, I am just kidding. Australians, who, like Canadians, live in a big and sparsely populated country, are using more and paying less — as little as $30 for 5 GB of data, according to a 2018 review by the Canadian government. Good luck.

Roger3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ok, what about Australia. 

77ALU77

Telus offers a 12$ per day plan for international roaming. And this occurs only if you use data, text or call or answer a call. Otherwise no costs. And when you are charged with these 12$ it lasts for 24h and covers all data / calls to Canada / calls within that country without additional costs. Thats not expensive. If that would be offered by public mobile, would be an option for me. Otherwise I consider Telus directly.

@Roger3 but you have to consider our population density is much lower than the continents you mentioned.. not to mention Canadian government's mandate for the telcos they have to cover 90%+ of the population that includes a lot of the unprofitable places.

Roger3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is a well known fact that Canadian mobile planes are expensive in the world. If you are a frequent flyer to Europe, Asia , Australia ....buy a sim from that part of the world and not to use Canadian plans. 

@SomeFriendThere are also cards which covers the whole Europe for about $30 for 30 days. Something like this card by 3 for $36CAD.

Public Mobile is the barebones option for Telus (Think about it as economy class). Peering with other network costs money. Even for long distance Koodo Prepaid covers more countries than PM. Yes it might be a "throw of a switch" but it will still incur a cost.

SomeFriend

I’m heading to the UK at the end of the month and I’m just happy that I can escape the Canadian plan for a little bit...  While I can get 6GB from Vodafone for £10, if I keep my data usage low, I can just use one or two of those free Three data SIMs that come with 200MB free of charge.  

Pay as you go charges are 3p/min, 2p/txt, 1p/MB, great for low usage.  

I know Germany has something similar too but I forgot the name.  Check the local country for rates and if anything’s free for low usage.

What I would recommend doing is forward your calls to a free voip provider like Textnow or Fongo and then get a cheap local SIM.  

Even if EU roaming was allow, using locally is cheap, but I have to admit, Public Mobile’s US roaming rates are cheap so I’m curious if they’ll expand, as it’s just a flip of a switch, as the roaming agreements, as set up by Telus, are already in place.

77ALU77

Yes, you are right. I have to look for other providers, because I am regularly travelling. Sorry, public mobile, but then I am not the target group... 🙂

@77ALU77 wrote:

It is not about how much, it is about being able too. At least to see if someone tried to reach you. And from a professional perspective, to use public mobile as a solution provider for your business mobile. Without roaming not possible.

I don't disagree with your point about not having the option.  However, that business user might not even be Public Mobile's targetted audience.  And, if someone is using the cell phone for business use, I'm not sure that a person is going to be that concerned with possibly a $20 or $30 savings over a month compared to some other more expensive carrier (who does have more options available).

77ALU77

It is not about how much, it is about being able too. At least to see if someone tried to reach you. And from a professional perspective, to use public mobile as a solution provider for your business mobile. Without roaming not possible.

@77ALU77 wrote:

Come on guys, that can´t be true that there are requests since forever to add a plan for Europe roaming. It is 2019. Is there any other mobile provider having no roaming in Europe or Asia or so many other parts of the world?

An additional question: I am at the moment in Europe, but did not set a forwarding to my German phone number or a virtual phone number. Anyone an idea how to do that now that I have no access to any mobile service because of no roaming?

Cheers, Alex

No one can predict the future but I had a look at one of Public Mobile's competitors and looked up rates for the UK.  The prices were $2.50/minute, $0.40 per text message, and data at $30 per megabyte.  Would people really want to pay those prices?

Need Help? Let's chat.