cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking Data Boosters

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi. My mom uses hardly any data, but still good to have. I'm thinking about Talk & Text and adding a 1GB data booster. (Cda data, not US roaming) I expect that booster to last 6-8 months. My question is, to avoid any outage between boosters, can I buy a 2nd booster ahead of time and it will just auto kick in when the 1st booster gets depleted.

14 REPLIES 14

I am on the talk and text promo ($81/3months), and have the 1GB data add-on. Works flawlessly.

@makkahn28has been stacking the 1GB data add-ons successfully, by the looks of this conversation: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/I-purchased-3-1GB-Add-Ons-BUT-they-re-N...

(And yes, I'm only talking about the Canada wide data add-on here. US roaming packages have different rules.)

Edited to add link and to clarify.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

With so many differing opinions on this with no offence intended to anyone could we get @CS_Agent, to clear this up as there are many interested members here so can we get  a clear  answer from PM

I'm also interested in moderator clarification of this.  (Subscribed for replies.)

Neives
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
No offence taken from me, in fact that sounds like the best possible idea. And if @mimmo is speaking from personal experience that also seems to be pretty solid evidence to me

With so many differing opinions on this with no offence intended to anyone could we get @CS_Agent, to clear this up as there are many interested members here so can we get  a clear  answer from PM

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm going to go cotrary to the the above posts. I am planning to get the same plan for my mom (she is currently with chatar, and just using up her free months).  As mentioned yes you can use data on this plan.  

I believe you can stack the data addons.  The USA ones do not allow you to purchase more than one at a time but the Canadain data ones do.  that implies you can buy two and get two gig.  

Neives
If you don't mind spending the money anyway, why don't you give it a try? See if it's even possible to buy more than one data add-on at a time. If you could do that, I'm sure as you said, when one is burned out the other would kick in. If it's not even possible, no harm done and no money spent. And if something other than those two outcomes occur, we have the wonderful moderator team who are pretty good at dealing with some complex issues if you can be patient with them

Neives
Ah, thanks for that. Haven't checked the plan section for awhile. Indeed I see there is now a US roaming section specifically for 10 days. Sorry for any misinformation. And to add to what others have posted, I'm not sure if they will allow you to purchase as many add-ons as you want to allow you to "stack" and it was my understanding that they lasted until used up or the account has expired. And indeed, as @xCameron94x has clearly demonstrated apparently you don't need data on the base plan in order to obtain the data add-on, so thanks for this information also

@xCameron94x, thanks for doing some reading and getting the answer!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

after reading the add on section in the community: I can confirm that to use a data add on, you do not need data in your plan

1 GB Data

Ideal if you do not have data included in your base plan and need a back-up for occasional data usage.

However, this page does not talk about stacking, so i assume that you will have to re-add it when the previous add on expires. But as you mentioned it could last 6 months, you can always re-add if she has any issues with no data

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Roaming works in the US if you buy a US roaming add on

Neives
Any of the add-ons (not boosters technically), including data will last as long as they haven't been entirely used up and/or as long as the account in question remains active regardless of how much time has passed. That said, I see a problem, the same one others before you have had. That being that add-ons only work if you have the thing to which you are adding on is already on the base plan. So, unless the base phone plan already has data, no matter the amount (which it would not in the talk and text only plan), data add-ons will not work. Further point of clarification, I don't believe roaming in other countries works on Public Mobile as of yet (or if it ever will) and so, I don't believe there is a distinction between Canadian and American data. I could however be wrong on that last point

IWIK
The add ons section doesn't mention needing data for a data add on. It does say "Add-ons are available for use only with an active plan. Long distance add-ons require a monthly talk feature on the rate plan."

So maybe it's only talk add ons require talk plans

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@smp99, I beleive data has to be a part of the phone package you have.  I don't think you can buy just an addon.  As well I am pretty sure that you can't stack addons they are purchased and can't be re-purchased until consumed.

IWIK
I'm not sure, I would assume so. It would be interesting to know
Need Help? Let's chat.