Did you mean: 

Spam call filter

hanna_t
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I activate the spam call filter?

13 REPLIES 13

Graphite

I'm sure my Galaxy S10 used to have the 'contacts only' option - but I can't find it anymore 😞

grantc

Guess it's not happening.

hanna_t

As promised, I have contacted the CRTC (via their chat help system - very prompt response).  The CRTC regulation requiring providers to provide a call filter for spam and robocalls is not in effect yet.  It will be a requirement as of June 2021.  It applies to all providers, whether the plans are prepaid or not.

So it seems this is coming.  Just don't take any of those threatening CRA robocalls to heart in the meantime.

@419mainstreet Keep in mind that blocking numbers also just sends them to voicemail by default, which might require one to still have to delete useless messages from there, unless the blocked/declined/busy conditional call forward is redirected elsewhere.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwardi...

Also unreputable international spammers could care less about the DNCL, and would probably use it as a priority-call list.

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would recommend registering with the National Do Not Call List:

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

As previously mentioned,  there's not a lot else you can do besides send unknown calls straight to voicemail and block numbers.

@hanna_t wrote:

I think I'll send a query to the CRTC and try to get an answer as to why PM is exempt.  Will get back to this thread if I get a response.

The CRTC only mandated network level blocking of calls from malformed numbers, and numbers not from active area codes/prefixes. Features like the Telus "Call Control" feature are not required by the CRTC to be offered by carriers.  Telus home phone, Telus Mobility & Koodo I guess use it as a value-add, but Public Mobile being a value brand doesn't offer it.

hanna_t

Thank you for the response and the links.

I came to PM from Telus Mobility, which has the call filter option.  I had been getting these spam calls until I activated the call filter.  After that they stopped completely.  I could even review the list of stopped calls, should I be so inclined.  Because I ported my number, I'm back to getting the robocalls.

I think I'll send a query to the CRTC and try to get an answer as to why PM is exempt.  Will get back to this thread if I get a response.

@hanna_t wrote:

So, they are exempt from the federal directive?

This is from the CRTC website:

To better protect Canadians against nuisance calls, new measures will gradually be implemented by telecom service providers. For instance, by December 19, 2019 providers must have either implemented a system to block calls within their networks or offer call-filtering services. Canadians should receive fewer unwanted calls thanks to these new safeguards.

I'm tired of being threatened by the "CRA."

The details of those measures implemented by December 2020 enforced network blocking of calls with non-conformant caller ID, or caller ID numbers from area codes and exchanges that do not exist.

It does nothing to prevent calls from "forged" numbers that otherwise "look" valid. So the spam and robocalls we get nowadays all have exactly 10 digits, from area codes and prefixes that "appear" valid...

The flagship Telus Mobility, and their mid-tier brand Koodo offer a feature called "Call Control" - which simply plays a message to any non-whitelisted caller to press a random number before their call is connected. Maybe this feature will eventually trickle down to Public Mobile.

Take a look at this post that provides some options to manually deal with nuisance calls:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwardi...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

@hanna_t  Likely because this is a prepaid service. No credit checks, no address verification nothing.

My plan on Koodo which is also owned by Telus. Has filters. Koodo postpaid. Meaning credit check.

Screenshot_20210112_203050.jpg

That's just my thoughts, I don't know. Like anything else in the world. Different rules for different things.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is quite conceivable that measures are being taken in the background.  We have to appreciate that this is a whack a mole type game.  The perpetrators are not standing still.  They adapt and take countermeasures to stay in business.  

hanna_t

So, they are exempt from the federal directive?

This is from the CRTC website:

To better protect Canadians against nuisance calls, new measures will gradually be implemented by telecom service providers. For instance, by December 19, 2019 providers must have either implemented a system to block calls within their networks or offer call-filtering services. Canadians should receive fewer unwanted calls thanks to these new safeguards.

I'm tired of being threatened by the "CRA."

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@hanna_t  Public Mobile does not offer anything of this sort.

@hanna_t wrote:

How do I activate the spam call filter?

Public Mobile does not offer any type of call management options. To filter calls, you'll have to rely on either your device manufactuer's or a third party's software. A common option on many devices is to have calls not saved in your contact list sent automatically to vociemail.

Need Help? Let's chat.