cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorted data

Northernblades
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not sure who to contact on this one.
I use VERY  little data  each month.    Now, for the past  3 months,  It has felt like my data has been very short.

But I figured I had something turned on, or using it, or who knew,

But this month is different,  Because last month, I ran out,   completely.

Because of this, I absolutely 100% know when my roll over was, because I went 2 weeks without data

So now I am 6 days into my new month, and I get this text message claiming I have used 75% of my data (this has only happened   3x,  and only   the last 3 months.)

So I log in to check  everything,  and  imagine my surprise, when it shows I have only used 25%  of my data  in 1 week,   and not   75%

I have checked every app,    the app  data usage,   and the public mobile page match.

So why am I running out of data,   after only 6 days,

last month I ran out,   in less than 14

I hope I have provided enough information,  and hope I have cut out enough information.

I was stunned to get the 75%   warning,  then the other 2 warnings,  and then told I had used up all my data in under   2 weeks,    when I seldom had issues with the month.

does anyone who know to contact?   If it warned me  I am at 90%   I am watching it close this month.

data.jpg

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : But we'll see if he gets a 95% text. A 100% text. His data stops. All while he still shows data in his counters. So we'll see. He seems willing. Peeved. But willing.

oh.. i see...the concern is the 75% text..  There are many posts reported that the text was wrong in many occasions.   Keep let us know the result of this experiment..  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Northernblades : You're basically exploring the boundary. Evidence gathering too. Please do let us know. Obviously by the counter numbers, the 75% text is wrong. So if you're willing to keep cool about it all and run it out and see what happens with text warnings (not from the phone) and connectivity then it would all be good evidence.

The CSA's would of course need to be informed when you're done your observations.

@Northernblades just to confirm.. Aug 12 is your last cycle start date and Sept 12 is your next Amount due date??

Also from your screenshot, PM shows you used 527MB and your phones show 559.. I think the difference is  reasonable.. what did I miss?

Also from your phone counter screensshot  (5559Mb), you should see what app consumed the data.. does the list look reasonable to you??

Northernblades

I intend to burn up the data  in the last 48 hours.
I don't know without breaking the TOS  if I can express How seriously P!SSED  I will be  if my data  cuts before 1gb

@Northernblades 

That must be seriously frustrating and you should probably get a CSA to open a ticket with the tech team to look into the cause and a recalibration of data usage texts settings. The self serve account data counter always takes precedence but setting your phones data warning and limiter will give you greater control and insight into your data usage then pm's more and more unreliable text messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Northernblades : What does the front page overview counter show? It would be interesting to see what the counter would show at 95%. It would be interesting to see what the counter would show at 100%. It would be interesting to see if the data stops but the counters show something less.

The phone data counter is mostly irrelevant. The front page counter is the best. Then for curiosity to look at the usage details for all the data consumed since last renewal and see if it matches everything.

It could still be spurious texts. But what happens in reality is the interesting part. Clearly and obviously somethings wrong. But it would be interesting to see the end effects.

Edit: And in this meantime, did you add the autopay option? Your first image shows 500MB. Your second one shows 500+500.

Northernblades

I do not know what happened.
Last time this happened,   everyone claimed it was my phone,   claimed it was me,    claimed the message was not official.

I vary rarely use anywhere near my max,    (often bellow 50%)

and this is now the 3rd month,  that I have either maxed out,   or received   the 75% warning.
I can understand my phone, and their records being off by a little.    but that is quite literally 50%   over  the usage shown. 

I also do not know   if I get cut off when  what reaches  1gb,  (will their warnings fire off and then  kick me out)    or will it wait until the web page reads 1gb?

I have not opened a new ticket.

@Northernblades 

Did the CSA open a ticket with tech team?  It seems however they calibrate your data usage they are off by 25% or 250mb. I wonder if you had more data if the percentage would change when you get the text or if it would only off by the amount (250mb)? See if the tech team can reset when these data usage texts are sent out for your account to accurately reflect your actual data usage,

Northernblades

Another month, another 75% warning.

this is starting to get old, real fast.

public.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JaredLush : Please provide screenshots of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course. Pictures say a thousand words.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Northernblades : From your images, it all points to your phone and spurious texts. But you're not retarded apparently. So please report back with the explanations or fixes from the mods. If it's just a generic re-provisioning or reset then that won't be useful. But you'll be fixed and happier nonetheless.

@JaredLush 

Have you confirmed your data usage in your self serve account? My moto had another update today.

@JaredLush  Look like your phone was download an OS update or AppStore/Play store downloading updates

Are you on Android ?  If so, you can go to Mobile Data, change the cycle start date to today or yesterday and you will see how much you downloaded as well as which app used the data immediately.

softech_0-1626571272565.png

For long time, I suggest you download some data tracker that can track 30 days cycle as PM is running 30 days , not monthly.   

Some choices on Android are: Data Witness PM, Data counter widget , on iOS: My Data Manager

JaredLush
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Northernblades 

i am experiencing the same issue. Just an hour ago I received a text from 611 saying that 75% of my data had been used. I thought it was odd that I had used that much already this month but I didn't think too much of it. I laid my phone down and didn't look at it again until I received another text from 611 roughly 1.5 hours later saying that I had used 95% of my data, and then 10 minutes later all of my data had been used... without me using any apps. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it now. 

@Northernblades  I understand how frustrated for you in this case.

Sorry that we all asked you to check this and check that.. most of us would try to understand the situation more and make sure everything is checked.  We still think not reading anything but simply put out a template answer:  open a ticket with MOD   is not the proper way (although it might get us an Accepted Solution easily  😂

But since you already checked everything and look like it is a PM issue, I guess contacting Mod is really the way to go.  have you opened a ticket with mod yet?  if not, please go ahead.

Let us know how it turns out.  thanks

@Northernblades 

I'm sorry if any advice I imparted offended you. You mentioned that you were fairly new here and you recently got a new phone so I offered advice on what could be using your data. @Anonymous  said it might be a spurious text from 611. Which you believed was not possible since your data stopped even though it shows only 25% of usage in your account which would point to your data limiter being enabled at 25% but you know all about those tools in your phone. So you did choose the solution of an esteemed member of the community so heed their advice and seek a solution from a moderator.

Northernblades

I  grow tired of this.

I am not stupid,   I I know how the data works, I know how data saver works,   I know  how to view, use, and forward the information available in my account.

I know how the phone uses   data,  and how to find out what apps are using data,

I know how to tell where a text message is coming, from.    and I am not bloody retarded.

Not once, did it occur to any of you that the problem came from public mobile.

Use wifi when available.     Well thanks,   I never thought of that.

Do I need to open the phone,   bring up the window that shows wifi use,    Take a screen shot of that, and post it in here,  for you people to even consider the Idea that I am not  stupid?

I get it,   there are people in this world  who get a new phone, and use 100%  of their data, on the drive home while updating that operating system.   But it is rude to assume everyone is this ignorant.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Northernblades 

What is your new phone? If you have upgraded to a much newer device they can have many more ways to use your data than an older device. You may not have employed all of the data saving tools at your disposal in your phone. Here are my recommendations.

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Northernblades : The only way to know if it's real is that it came from 611. Then it's a matter of verifying that you are out of data by looking at the self-serve counter or dialing 611 and using your 4 digit PIN to check remaining features. We have read about spurious texts even from 611.

Northernblades

Again fairly new here,   so I will try and cover my basis.
Re:data logging Softech

I am not sure why I would need additional software, the phone includes, a data use tracker,   and a by app tracker.   I had recently gotten a new phone, and had not set the roll over date correctly.
This month I do have it set correctly,   And  at this point  I could also post more pictures showing how much data has been used by each app.

Re: mods/tickets  S--S  This is absolutely what I will do, I can tell you the little siren screams as to sending that much information over a forum,   and I do not even know  what my pin is,  and will have to  look up/create it,   but I will start this process

Re: fake message 
z10user4
pretty sure it is real, as when it told me I hit 100%,   my data ended.    And this conversation is still attached to all the other messages I get from public.

Thank you S--S for providing the links to get this started.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Northernblades  since you had data usage issue couple months in a roll, best is to use a 3rd party app to track your usage, but you need on that can record 30 days cycle and not monthly as PM is running on 30 days.

On iOS,  try My Data Manager 

On Android, try Data Counter Widget or Data Witness PM

If you are on Android, you can use Data Counter Widget,  add a widget,  set to 30 days and set to the first day of your current cycle and you will know how much you used based on the phone counter and you can see if it matches what you see on My Account

Anonymous
Not applicable

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage click Here 

if you want To Submit a Ticket To Customer Service by Moderator Team, can them check out for you,

Only one way to solve your issue , explanation to customer service by Moderator Team

and the are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

Here’s how to contact customer service by Moderator Team,

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click HERE to get started.
  • or you can send a private message to Moderator Team  by Click HERE
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,
  • explanation to them nice Team and nice service.

Good Luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Northernblades: Seems to be a spurious data warning. Did it come via text from 611?

Need Help? Let's chat.