cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Code not included on List - What can I do?

andromeda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Just changed from Bell to PM yesterday. I am unable to receive short code texts containing verification for my online banking. 

I have tested calling, text, mms, and requested verification numbers for other online services, all of which are working which suggests this is not a porting issue. I have concluded that it comes down to the short code not being supported. Usage history has no indication of incoming shortcode text from the bank. 

Seems like many people are having issues with not being able to recieve texts from certain short codes. My bank's shortcode is not on the current list. According to some posts an updated list is on the way but they said that awhile ago.

Is there anything I can do, other than use an online sms service or changing my verification number to a friends, to solve this?

If there is no quick remedy, I may have to leave the service. I guess you get what you pay for 😞

List of supported shortcodes:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

19 REPLIES 19

anilsingh650
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

2FA verification takes 48 to 72 hours to be activated on your phone, I think it has been designed in that way so that if you are victim of sim swap fraud atleast you have ample time to react within that time frame and I guess once a day everyone checks their bank account.

@pmmobile  Looking at my account and assuming others....short codes appear on your transaction history as minutes. However they are not "charged" as minutes to your account.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@andromedathanks for reassuring reply. I'll give it a few days to sort itself out. I'm curious, now that it is working, do the texts to 33333 still show up as "minutes"?

andromeda

Hey @pmmobile,

I was able to recieve texts from the 333-33 short code 2 days after changing to Public. I have no explanation to why it started working but it just did. Others may have a more informed and technical explanation.

I did not reset my phone because i tried another PM sim with a different number in my phone and was able to get responses from 333-33 and the bank that was having trouble sending me verification codes. This lead to the conclusion that the phone and it's settings were not the issue.

I suggest you text help or info to 333-33 every few hours to see if it starts working for you. Good luck and hope this gets resolved for you soon!  

pmmobile

@andromeda 

Also, did you try factory resting your phone? If so, I guess no luck? thanks, again

pmmobile

Hi,

I ported my number over today and having the same issues with receiving texts from 33333. Trying to find a solution, it's quite frustrating! 

Texting "help" to 33333 does not generate a response. Did you receive a response from textng "help" to translink?

Thanks

@andromedaThank you for your update and kudos to your banks security for being up to date on identity theft fraud issues. I have recent personal experience with this and reliance on your bank making your account security of utmost importance far out weighs inconvenience.

andromeda

Update:

Tested short code this morning. Surprisingly it worked with the 333-33 number and several others including google and another bank. My methodology was texting HELP/INFO to short codes as it will generate a text in response. 

Decided to not swap SIM cards as @geopublic suggested this would not fix the issue.

I agree with his suggestion because SC works now for some numbers. 

I am not sure if the following is misinformation, but on another forum someone stated:

This is not an Xfinity problem.  Apparently, an increasingly common form of fraud is to try to take over someone's accounts by porting their number away without their permission, in order to get 2FA text messages.  A number of financial institutions, including Zelle/ClearXchange, have a way to be notified when a customer's registered phone number has been ported, and then they block sending SMS to that number until they are satisfied that the port is legitimate. "

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Problem-receiving-short-code-SMS/td-p/2966602

I decided to contact my financial institution as the issue may be on their end. Will here back in 2-3 weeks. 😞 

I will update this thread as it develops. 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! 

Summary of troubleshooting to this point:

Issue: Not able to Receive Short Code text from bank

Possibly caused by: 

- Bank short code not included on list (no, was able to receive text from said bank on another PM phone)

- Issues with Porting (unlikely, everything works fine including SMS, calling, MMS, Short Code from other services working)

- Issue with phone settings (no, tested another PM SIM with different number, able to receive short code from bank)

- Issue with SIM Card (unlikely as everything works)

- Issue on sender end (currently testing)

Current conclusion: 

- Problem must be on sender end. 

@geopublicYour theory may well be correct...the only way @andromeda will be able to tell for sure will be by changing the SIM card. If the problem persists then he knows for sure. Do you have a suggestion on how to change 2FA?

@andromeda wrote:

I have figured it all out. 

I swapped sim cards with my brother's phone. Tested bus and bank short codes. Recieved texts from both. Thus the issue is with my SIM card. Will replace it at the kiosk tomorrow. Hopefully it will be free of charge. 

I guess the short code list on the forum is outdated. PM should release an updated one eventually. 

@andromeda  I would be suprised if a sim card swap fixes this issue. I think the problem with SC not working is your phone number and the fact that you ported in from another provider that you originally setup the 2FA with.

If @andromeda @is going to the Public Mobile kiosk maybe they will short cut the process and just replace his SIM at no charge. Let us know!

AE_Collector

@andromeda  Also ask moderators for a credit for your SIM card...save your receipt and SIM card.

@andromeda  the "minutes" on your account is definitely a question for the moderators. Perhaps @CalgaryBen  or @88cranston  can shed some light on your settings.

andromeda

I have figured it all out. 

I swapped sim cards with my brother's phone. Tested bus and bank short codes. Recieved texts from both. Thus the issue is with my SIM card. Will replace it at the kiosk tomorrow. Hopefully it will be free of charge. 

I guess the short code list on the forum is outdated. PM should release an updated one eventually. 

andromeda

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I will open a ticket as @geopublic recommends. @Luddite my phone is an iPhone 7. 

@darlicious the issue has not been resolved but for some reason I did not need 2-step verification when logging in at home. Unfortunately I was not able to change the delivery method as there was no option to.

After doing some further testing, I am more perplexed. I tried to recieve short code texts from TransLink, which is included on the supported shortcode list. I did not receive any texts. My usage history on PM reflects this (no incoming from 333-33)

I proceeded to test my brother's iPhone 7, which is also on PM. It was able to recieve texts from 333-33. 

There must be something wrong with my phones settings. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, why are the texts listed as "minutes" instead of SMS?

78546831_555126365313676_3262833062169280512_n.jpg

minutes.jpg

@andromeda  While trying to figure out how to get short codes on your phone can you not change the method of delivery of verification codes from your bank to be via email or phone call/voice mail? Or does the method of delivery have to be short code?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@andromeda WRT apps, what is make/model of your phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@andromeda  Which bank is it? Open up a ticket with PM so that they can investigate.

stpm-new.png

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@andromeda Based on my 4 years here, you have accurately summarized the situation. 

Perhaps another member knows a workaround. I think Textnow supports some short codes; fongo.com does not; Hangouts I have no idea.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.