cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup Call Forwarding while overseas

zeeden
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to setup call forwarding while overseas and it's not working because I don't think I have any service here.  It says SOS only. 

Is there a way to set it up from abroad?

15 REPLIES 15

isaacjeong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks  @srlawren  for your tip.

I will definitely try next time.

Cheers!

IJ

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@isaacjeong wrote:

This is what I can try when I go oversea: (I don't know the result as I've never tried yet)

1. Set up a Fongo number in your area code and install Fongo to your current phone.

2. When you leave Canada, put your Public SIM card to another phone  and connect it with USB charging cable in a safe area at your home.

3. Set up call forwarding from the phone to the Fongo number.

4. If Fongo works around the world, you can receive forwarded phone call outside of Canada.

This is my theory.

If anyone tries and let me know the result.

Thanks.

@isaacjeong your theory is sound and I have done that except that for just calls, you do NOT need to leave your PM SIM card in Canada, so long as you turn on the call forwarding to your Fongo number before you leave Canada.  Call forwarding is done at the network level, so as long as you activate it before leaving coverage, it will continue to work wherever your SIM card is, or even if you light your SIM card on fire (don't do that!).

That said, if you do do what you're suggesting, then as long as it's an old Android phone you leave your SIM card in in Canada, you can set up text forwarding using one of a few apps on the Play Store that can do that.  You can't forward texts at the network level, so the SIM has to stay in Canada, in a powered on (leave it plugged in) Android phone.  The app takes over as the default SMS app on the phone, receives the text, and then depending how you set it up, either forwards it to another number via SMS (if you pay for texting on Fongo, for example, or you use TextNow) or even to an email address, or even both.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@isaacjeongDo note to make sure you have a plan that will give you unlimited Canada calling, as call forwarding would count against your minutes

isaacjeong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is what I can try when I go oversea: (I don't know the result as I've never tried yet)

1. Set up a Fongo number in your area code and install Fongo to your current phone.

2. When you leave Canada, put your Public SIM card to another phone  and connect it with USB charging cable in a safe area at your home.

3. Set up call forwarding from the phone to the Fongo number.

4. If Fongo works around the world as long as you have WIFI or mobile network there, you can receive forwarded phone call outside of Canada.

This is my theory.

If anyone tries and let me know the result.

Thanks.

srlawren

@Mana wrote:

I haven't checked if call forwarding option can be accessed through these options. 

@Mana FYI it definitely is not something you can configure by dialing into your voicemail.  

@mimmo's idea here is as close as you're going to get in this case, @zeeden:

@mimmo wrote:

I think you only option if possible is to set up /change your voice mail saying i am away please call this number to reach me.  that number can be a fongo number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Mana wrote:

@wetcoaster sorry I didn't mean to offend you. 

I know that you can call your own number from another phone number to access your voicemail and voicemail options. I haven't checked if call forwarding option can be accessed through these options. 

@Mana

No offense taken - or meant, for that matter, sorry if it came across that way.

I just believe in providing accurate information and if it's something that might completely change my answer to a question I want to be able to point to a reliable source for that statement. 😉

Happy New Year!

mimmo

The only way to set up call forwarding is while you are in Canada and in the USA, as you need network service to do so.  From a previous discussion you can only forward to a number taht is inlcuded in your plan either provincial or canada wide.

I think you only option if possible is to set up /change your voice mail saying i am away please call this number to reach me.  that number can be a fongo number.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

agrred with @koimr1 that since PM is all inclusive online service, they should at least make these basic features setup available online for the users. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Tagging the mods as this is something that I would like to know - are the mods able to setup forwarding for us if one were already abroad and sent a private message requesting it?

One thing I do miss with FM is that forwarding could be done via their web site.

@wetcoaster sorry I didn't mean to offend you. 

I know that you can call your own number from another phone number to access your voicemail and voicemail options. I haven't checked if call forwarding option can be accessed through these options. 

@Mana wrote:

I think there maybe a voicemail number to call from another phone to set this up. 

@Mana

Can you please provide an officially backed up source for that?

All my search results indicate that you have to set it up from your phone while on the PM network, but I'm happy to be proven wrong by properly backed up information.

I think there maybe a voicemail number to call from another phone to set this up. 

@Mana

My understanding is that you need to set up call forwarding to a Canadian phone number (yes, fongo or another VOIP that you can get a phone number with your area code is a good choice) from your phone while it is connected to the Public Mobile network.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@zeeden if you have wifi there then maybe you can download a free call/text app called fongo and from forgo get a Canadian number with the same area code as yours and then forward your PM calls to fongo number. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Since PM only offers call forwarding to Canadian numbers you have to set up call forwarding before you leave the country.

Need Help? Let's chat.