cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending and receiving pic mms using data

bud21ca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have 2 phones on the $30 1gb plan, but noticed sending and receiving picture messages are using little bits of data each time when I check usage online it shows they are indeed using my data?

13 REPLIES 13

bud21ca

Yes, sorry for the confusion. It is the $30 500mb with 500 bonus and unlimited talk and text plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dankaroo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bud21ca wrote:

I have 2 phones on the $30 1gb plan, but noticed sending and receiving picture messages are using little bits of data each time when I check usage online it shows they are indeed using my data?

There is the usage detail and there is the overview. You'll see these lines in details but you won't see any increase in data usage in overview. Where it matters.

I am surprised this would apply on a non-text plan. Since it is a picture it's is probably backed up on a Google/Apple service

That's a great catch. @bud21ca: can you verify that you have the data only plan or the other $30 with the bonus 500 totalling 1gb.

Dankaroo

@Anonymous wrote:

@bud21ca wrote:

There is the usage detail and there is the overview. You'll see these lines in details but you won't see any increase in data usage in overview. Where it matters.

I am surprised this would apply on a non-text plan. Since it is a picture it's is probably backed up on a Google/Apple service

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

MMS is routed through a separate server and does not count against the data usage.  Since mobile data is enabled, sync features can consume data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bud21ca wrote:

I found the issue, thanks to everyone. It is actually around the same time it sends a pic message my wifi cuts off to use mobile data for that event and something in the background is using a little data. Now to find the app that is using data.

From what I've been reading around here since I got here last May, time and time again somebody challenges the consumption counters and every time (as far as I know) it's something else.

Good sleuthing.

bud21ca

I found the issue, thanks to everyone. It is actually around the same time it sends a pic message my wifi cuts off to use mobile data for that event and something in the background is using a little data. Now to find the app that is using data.

bud21ca

It shows up under more usage details as data event mms at 1mb, then on data usage on the landing page it adds it there to my data usage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bud21ca wrote:

It should be excluded but its being included. If I send or receive it says 1mb in usage details then I go to data overview and 1mb of usage is there for that event.

Do you mean the front, landing, overview page under add-ons or more usage details?

bud21ca

It should be excluded but its being included. If I send or receive it says 1mb in usage details then I go to data overview and 1mb of usage is there for that event.

@bud21ca It won't be taken off your data plan, it should be excluded from your total usage.

bud21ca

In the usage details it shows each pic message sent and received as using 1mb each then takes that off my data. I know its not much but adds up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bud21ca wrote:

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

They do require data to be on but they shouldn't be using any. Add up your data usage, excluding mms data, and compair it to your total data usage on your main account page.

If you are still sure they are using data you will need to contact a moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

Need Help? Let's chat.