cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Save money on your plan while COVID19 social distancing continues...

I thought I would share what I am doing to save money. I am a new customer (from March 5th) and had initially signed up for the $40 plan with 5GB data (with autopay). I realized that I was not using much data since I am home 95% of the time now due to the pandemic, and so I am mostly connected to my home WiFi.. so I switched my plan to the $25 one (1GB of data) in order to save money while social distancing measures continue. It was very easy to switch (and choose the option to have it switch over on the date of my autopay so I wouldn't lose any data from the old plan). So far I am almost halfway through the month and have used less than half a GB of data, so this seems to be the right plan for me right now. I go out maybe 1-2x/week for errands and groceries. Highly recommend doing this to save money! I plan to switch back once things are more back to normal...   

mpcdesign
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Save money on your plan while COVID19 social distancing continues...

@helenhelen, why don't you switch down again to the $15 a plan (includes, 100 minutes, and 250mb of data), and if necessary but an additional $5 add-on plan for 500 minutes and $15 for 1 gig of data add-on. Both of these can be carried over to the next month if you don't use it up?

Out of curiosity, you could cut back even more with the data if you use wi-fi. And really, do you really need to be on social media if you are running errands? That could be done when you get home...hehe

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It would cost $35 with those add-ons, although I didn't consider the rollover with the 1GB of data. The only thing is if this all blows over soon, I rarely need 5GB of data (which my original plan had).. I normally use 2-3GB on a regular basis. So having extra if I switch back isn't too helpful. I'll think about it though, but I'm not so sure it would ultimately save me enough money to worry about it.

As for using data while running errands, have you seen the lineups to get into grocery stores, etc.? The phone is very useful while standing around waiting. 🙂

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen Hi sounds like you made the right move welcome to PM and please stay safe

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen wrote:

I thought I would share what I am doing to save money. I am a new customer (from March 5th) and had initially signed up for the $40 plan with 5GB data (with autopay). I realized that I was not using much data since I am home 95% of the time now due to the pandemic, and so I am mostly connected to my home WiFi.. so I switched my plan to the $25 one (1GB of data) in order to save money while social distancing measures continue. It was very easy to switch (and choose the option to have it switch over on the date of my autopay so I wouldn't lose any data from the old plan). So far I am almost halfway through the month and have used less than half a GB of data, so this seems to be the right plan for me right now. I go out maybe 1-2x/week for errands and groceries. Highly recommend doing this to save money! I plan to switch back once things are more back to normal...   

Thanks for contributing this, really informative! Another thing you can do is sign up for auto pay save another 2.00

Have a great day!

will13am
Oracle

It takes 60 days to complete two plan changes and be back to where you started.  Who is to know how long the social distancing will last.  The savings is all of $15 which is not a lot.  Cutting out restaurant meals yield much greater savings.  I am not making any plan changes.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

It takes 60 days to complete two plan changes and be back to where you started.  Who is to know how long the social distancing will last.  The savings is all of $15 which is not a lot.  Cutting out restaurant meals yield much greater savings.  I am not making any plan changes.

There is one thing I love about you @will13am  you just say it how it is! I feel like we would get along well. I like the no bs answers, here it is. I always notice your contributions, too the point no beating around the bush. Great job! 

will13am
Oracle

@Naepalm  I am just trying to be realistic about saving money.  Believe me, those who have been around this forum for some time know that I don't take saving money lightly.  What if the social distancing was lifted and you are stuck with the cheaper plan and run out of data?  Do you suck it up and do without or buy the data add-on?  Unless we are talking about major purchases, one time savings usually don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.  It's the ongoing savings that add up.  I am sure I will get a lot agreeing that using this service yield great savings month after month.  

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Naepalm  I am just trying to be realistic about saving money.  Believe me, those who have been around this forum for some time know that I don't take saving money lightly.  What if the social distancing was lifted and you are stuck with the cheaper plan and run out of data?  Do you suck it up and do without or buy the data add-on?  Unless we are talking about major purchases, one time savings usually don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.  It's the ongoing savings that add up.  I am sure I will get a lot agreeing that using this service yield great savings month after month.  

Very fair comment! You are looking long term rather than short term, so unless you are prepared to keep to that cheaper plan then just ride it out?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could downgrade to the $15 plan.  Also you could purchase $5 add-on for 500 minutes and/or 1GB data add-on currently for $15. Both add-ons would not expire and rollover to your next month until they are used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.