cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round 2 Has Begun

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Anyone else hear from Koodo reps lately?

A few people have been claiming the new offer is $40 for *5*GB of data, cross Canada calls, and $100 bill credit

Is 5th GB permanent or temporary promo?

Targeted or general for everyone?

What happens to those who already switched to Koodo?

21 REPLIES 21

@will13am I started a new thread since there is now a THIRD promo offer out there (and #3 is already confirmed)

This is getting crazy now....

@kav2001cwrote:

More claims of 5GB plans being offered in other thread

https://www.sheridancentre.ca/stores/sheridancentre-koodo

@denkomwrote:

@torontokris Agreed. 5gb would be incentive enough for a lot of people to switch. I'm not sure who that one is for and I haven't seen any mention of it in the online forums either. But the Koodo reps did have a promo code for it (not sure what it was though).

@ulovebass wrote:

I got a call from koodo (9058553331) today and he offerd 5Gb data. 

@I don't need more data and want stay with prepaid service so I didn't listen carefully but koodo might tried $40/5G offer now for who has $120/12G plan @PM

Well curiosity killed the cat.  I called the number, it is of course the Sheridan Mall Koodo store, Erin Mills Mississauga.  The lady that answered said this was a new thing that was available today.  She said she got it in a note on their system.  I suggested to her that if this is direction from head office then I can go to any store and get the same thing.  There was a bit of hesitation and back peddling when I made this comment.  She did not really want to discuss it further.  Then came the hard sell, when can you come over to our store.  I told here what is the hurry when I have until March 15.  I knew the answer but I had to ask when the 5 gig offer is good to.  Of course, she said we don't know but it is available today for sure.

I have never really been a Koodo customer and so I don't know much about their retention offers and the liberty to which independent stores can use it.  Anybody out there have or know someone that has a Koodo plan that is $40 for 5 gigs?

Those itching to call the number, I would suggest putting on some protection against a call back.  I dialed through my google voice number and so it is unlikely they will do a call back to Colorado to ask if I am still interested in the 5 gig offer.  I think I will just tell them I have never heard of the company and is this a new service being offered in the Aspen CO area. 

More claims of 5GB plans being offered in other thread

https://www.sheridancentre.ca/stores/sheridancentre-koodo

@denkomwrote:

@torontokris Agreed. 5gb would be incentive enough for a lot of people to switch. I'm not sure who that one is for and I haven't seen any mention of it in the online forums either. But the Koodo reps did have a promo code for it (not sure what it was though).

@ulovebass wrote:

I got a call from koodo (9058553331) today and he offerd 5Gb data. 

@I don't need more data and want stay with prepaid service so I didn't listen carefully but koodo might tried $40/5G offer now for who has $120/12G plan @PM

@stonechuckerwrote:

You certainly can walk away from PM without losing a 'bit'.. but you will have to surrender your current phone number.

I suppose that's also true with postpaid plans, too.  If you don't want to risk losing your phone number then you need to "waste" a little "bit" buying a few days of overlap between the old and the new.

You certainly can walk away from PM without losing a 'bit'.. but you will have to surrender your current phone number.

@sbreakin wrote:

... & the bit left on my PM plan.

That "bit" is always the trap, lol.  I'm beginning to think the current system of charging plan price before applying reward credit was deliberately designed (and deliberately never "fixed") specifically so that there would always be a "bit" left on the PM account.  You can never walk away from PM without "losing" that unspent balance.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hoarding.  Haha, I do gather a little extra sometimes.

Yea, there's not much point in paying extra for something that you might use in the future especially in the tech world. 

Although in this case, the plan was a great deal, (cheaper than plans with less data -especially now) & I've somehow managed to increase my data usage from 250mb /mo to 2Gb in just over a year. Might use a little more if I bother to stream music/ radio from my phone to car Bluetooth instead of clicking the button to different FM stations (not that song again...) or get a seat on the bus so easier to watch a video if stuck in traffic.  But even with the extra buffer, our 90-day plan flexibility would cover spikes in usage. 

If Koodo does make me an offer I can't refuse (like including call forwarding), I'd miss this community. Wonder if they have one too.

Say anyone seen whether we can get $100 credit plus (stack) a $50 referral? 

@sbreakinwrote:

@SD08wrote:

@kav2001cwrote:

A few people have been claiming the new offer is $40 for *5*GB of data, cross Canada calls, and $100 bill credit

For customers with light to moderate data usage, 5 GB would be no more useful than 4 GB, and wouldn't be much of an enticement.  Personally, keeping my cost down is more important than getting more data. My rewards (not including any referrals) puts my monthly cost at $33 for the Fall 2016 promo. For those who don't have referrals, the Koodo offer from Round 1 still represented a price increase.  To lure a wider range of customers on the data-usage spectrum, Round 2 should provide a choice between something like $40/5GB or $35/4GB, for example.

Cost is the primary driver for me, then the 4Gb data. 

Cost is $37 as rewards are $3+ ($2 autopay + $1 1yr plus I usually get a community reward) but also it's pre-paid so no roaming or extras unless I've added them.

Koodo would be another $3 more for me (so $6 total) as I have call forwarding on all the time (as our house is 1 bar so I call forward to landline since there's no wifi calling yet). I also use it when traveling so family/ friends just call a local number that call forwards to Fongo (except when I have US add-on). 

While I use way more than my old Rogers 250mb plan, I rarely go over 2Gb so for me the extra is more for future proofing or something unusual especially combined with 90-day flexibility.

So $40 and if Koodo included the call forwarding -that might be enough for me to switch as the $100 will cover years of rewards & the bit left on my PM plan. Added extra/ bonus would be if happen to have a discount on a phone I wanted although late fall is the best time for that.

It is generally not a good idea to hoard tech.  The word future proofing is a euphemism for hoarding. 

sbreakin

@SD08wrote:

@kav2001cwrote:

For customers with light to moderate data usage, 5 GB would be no more useful than 4 GB, and wouldn't be much of an enticement.  Personally, keeping my cost down is more important than getting more data. My rewards (not including any referrals) puts my monthly cost at $33 for the Fall 2016 promo. For those who don't have referrals, the Koodo offer from Round 1 still represented a price increase.  To lure a wider range of customers on the data-usage spectrum, Round 2 should provide a choice between something like $40/5GB or $35/4GB, for example.

Cost is the primary driver for me, then the 4Gb data. 

Cost is $37 as rewards are $3+ ($2 autopay + $1 1yr plus I usually get a community reward) but also it's pre-paid so no roaming or extras unless I've added them.

Koodo would be another $3 more for me (so $6 total) as I have call forwarding on all the time (as our house is 1 bar so I call forward to landline since there's no wifi calling yet). I also use it when traveling so family/ friends just call a local number that call forwards to Fongo (except when I have US add-on). 

While I use way more than my old Rogers 250mb plan, I rarely go over 2Gb so for me the extra is more for future proofing or something unusual especially combined with 90-day flexibility.

So $40 and if Koodo included the call forwarding -that might be enough for me to switch as the $100 will cover years of rewards & the bit left on my PM plan. Added extra/ bonus would be if happen to have a discount on a phone I wanted although late fall is the best time for that.

Civic_E

Even if Koodo offers $40/5GB it is still not better than PM to me. Only because unused data with Koodo are gone for that month where as PM's data rollover is great way to utilize all the given data for 90days. That's another reason i switched back to PM.

@ShawnC13wrote:

I don't think that is true about paying full price in the end.

Maybe Koodo changed their Terms of Service or adjust them on a per-signup basis?

(I do suspect that they're as disorganized and corporate with paperwork as Telus/PM, lol, meaning that public information isn't necessarily kept updated.)

But, if deals like this can be had through Koodo then I think I might buy my new phone from them, lol.

@Korth, I don't think that is true about paying full price in the end.  I got the Essential when they had the Black Friday deal (when the phone was still $650) and my complete cost was $396 or $406 (can't remember) and my account is clear with Koodo.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@will13amwrote:

Koodo separates hardware payment from service fees.  They have 3 different monthly tabs.  What isn't mortgage on a 24 month tab is paid up front for hardware.  From time to time they discount the cost of hardware to lower tab balance/up front cost.  What I was referring to was discounting the hardware so I pay little up front and can fit the balance into a small tab.

Koodo Service Terms

You can get a good deal if you Tab a Koodo phone and plan to stay with Koodo over the duration.  And you pay all your bills on time, you get hit with a ($35) cancellation fee and/or a ($35) reactivation fee whenever your account gets suspended, you get billed for "ongoing" service (even while it's suspended) until your Koodo service is fully terminated or your Account (and Tab) is fully paid up.

You can defray your costs by starting a Tab, and cancelling early, you can even cancel it the same day you took your new phone home and start using your new (Koodo-locked) phone on PM if you choose.  You'll get billed the rest of the Tab 30-days later, and you'll keep getting billed ongoing charges until you terminate the service (immediately?) or Koodo terminates it (then sends it to Collections) after 90 days.  (And Koodo has to unlock the phone for free, if you press them, but not before your Tab is fully paid out.)

Yes, you can get a good price if Koodo discounts the phone at point of purchase.  Yes, you have the option of saving money now and paying it (along with the cancellation fee) later.  Some of the phone prices "with a Tab" are good, not many "without a Tab" are good, and cancelling your Tab early means paying out a pro-rated "without a Tab" price.

And yes, this can be a great deal if Koodo adjusts the Tab on the fly, although it seems they'd focus on their customers first and not people attempting to walk away with unpaid devices.

I'm not shooting down the whole Tab concept.  I'm trying to point out that it's still a contract and the consumer is still going to pay (nearly) full price for the device in the end.

@Korthwrote:

@will13amwrote: 

... include also option to purchase selected hardware on tab with favorable discount. 

A little but not really much "Tab" discount overall.  I'm sure it varies from brand to brand and device to device - and some devices are simply not available to consumers through any other channel - but in general the cost-to-consumer for a device purchased through a carrier is closely comparable to the the cost-to-consumer for the same device purchased "directly" from the OEM.

Cost-to-vendor is usually less, they purchase in bulk on an ongoing basis, they pay less and have options to modify the devices (with branding, carrier-locks, and software bloat).  They're able to price the devices (within their associated plan/promo structures) and still make "profit", from the long-term service model if not from the device itself.

For the consumer, the financial incentive for the "Tab" (contract) is that initial costs are defrayed and total costs are amortized over the "Tab" (contract) duration.  The consumer can be confident that the device is fully compatible and fully preconfigured to work on the network and can return the device directly to the point of purchase when support, repair, replacement, or upgrade is necessary.

I should have clarified so you don't ramble generically about how device subsidies work.  Koodo separates hardware payment from service fees.  They have 3 different monthly tabs.  What isn't mortgage on a 24 month tab is paid up front for hardware.  From time to time they discount the cost of hardware to lower tab balance/up front cost.  What I was referring to was discounting the hardware so I pay little up front and can fit the balance into a small tab.

@Korth for the consumer I would argue the Tab is best way to get a phone

Koodo is the only carrier who allows you to activate, get a couple hundred off hardware, then immediately cancel (so you can use hardware with Public)

@will13amwrote: 

... include also option to purchase selected hardware on tab with favorable discount. 

A little but not really much "Tab" discount overall.  I'm sure it varies from brand to brand and device to device - and some devices are simply not available to consumers through any other channel - but in general the cost-to-consumer for a device purchased through a carrier is closely comparable to the the cost-to-consumer for the same device purchased "directly" from the OEM.

Cost-to-vendor is usually less, they purchase in bulk on an ongoing basis, they pay less and have options to modify the devices (with branding, carrier-locks, and software bloat).  They're able to price the devices (within their associated plan/promo structures) and still make "profit", from the long-term service model if not from the device itself.

For the consumer, the financial incentive for the "Tab" (contract) is that initial costs are defrayed and total costs are amortized over the "Tab" (contract) duration.  The consumer can be confident that the device is fully compatible and fully preconfigured to work on the network and can return the device directly to the point of purchase when support, repair, replacement, or upgrade is necessary.

@SD08wrote:

@kav2001cwrote:

$40/5 gig has a slight bit of probability to it.  $35/4 gigs will never happen.  Price point is too low.  You will just have to stay.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001cwrote:

@will13am hey we discussed the missing aces in their decks already

But if 5GB is around I certainly want to know

Cat Happy

CHIA
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got a call yesterday, they left a VM......basicallt echoed the same plan as we were suggested to switch to a week or so ago, $40/4GB.

Did not recognize number, so did not answer.......annoying.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kav2001cwrote:

Is 5th GB permanent or temporary promo?

Targeted or general for everyone?

What happens to those who already switched to Koodo?

Nope, no a peep from anyone so far.  Do you have irrefutable evidence or is this what you want to hear?  Let me juice up the rumor mill a bit more.  In addition to 5 gigs, include also option to purchase selected hardware on tab with favorable discount. 

Need Help? Let's chat.