cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers offering unlimited data plans starting tomorrow, I hope public mobile will follow

coolvehiclefan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Rogers is launching unlimited data plans tomorrow it says that in this article https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/12/rogerws-unlimited-data-plans-no-overage/ and its listed on their website, i really hope public mobile will follow, we need a break from being ripped off for data in canada

34 REPLIES 34

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@MsLovely420 wrote:

Now that would be awesome if Public Mobile offered the same thing cuz they asked way too much money for such a small amount of data that you're going to burn through and in the first day

I have yet to burn through 12 GB of full speed LTE data in 90-days on my plan, in the first.  The closest I’ve ever got to using all 12 GB was 11.5 on day 89, when somehow my device consumed 8 GB over WiFi, and I still don’t know how that happened.

I use my data.  I stream music on normal quality over cellular data walking my dog, walking to and from work.  I can’t use it all.  I’m blown away when folks say they need unlimited data.

I just want a plan at a reasonable price.  Yes, we are still over charged.  But we’re not hosed and torched like a Top Tier provider customer.

Between Shaw Go WiFi (and Shaw Passpoint), WiFi at work and home ... I may use a 1GB a month. Nice to have the extra, but not needed. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

I have yet to burn through 12 GB of full speed LTE data in 90-days on my plan, in the first.  

I can’t use it all.  I’m blown away when folks say they need unlimited data.

I just want a plan at a reasonable price.  Yes, we are still over charged.  But we’re not hosed and torched like a Top Tier provider customer.

This is why there is choice is important:  everyone's needs (in the lose definition of need) are different. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@MsLovely420 wrote:

Now that would be awesome if Public Mobile offered the same thing cuz they asked way too much money for such a small amount of data that you're going to burn through and in the first day

I have yet to burn through 12 GB of full speed LTE data in 90-days on my plan, in the first.  The closest I’ve ever got to using all 12 GB was 11.5 on day 89, when somehow my device consumed 8 GB over WiFi, and I still don’t know how that happened.

I use my data.  I stream music on normal quality over cellular data walking my dog, walking to and from work.  I can’t use it all.  I’m blown away when folks say they need unlimited data.

oneworld
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
@JackQuint Thank you for taking the time to explain. I appreciate it.

MsLovely420

JackQuint

@oneworld wrote:
@JackQuintGreat opinion. i thought you were making a good argument but i think your underlying assumptions could be false, e.g. in the last three lines. All the best.

Thanks. In response to your point, I could add some clarity to my thought process. I am not saying that there aren't costs to operating and maintaining the PM brand. Of course there are. However, the marginal cost of adding a single PM customer is almost nothing (actually, the marginal cost of adding a Koodo or Telus customer is almost nothing). You can probably measure these costs in cents.

Telus needs to run its networks. Telus needs to have technicians. Telus needs to have technical support (whether it's a call centre or moderators). Tech support for all three brands can be done by the same people (whether they choose to is a function of administrative decision making, not cost). Because PM was an acquisition, there are no doubt costs involved in transitioning back of house systems to a common billing/account management platform, but those are acquisition costs, not a cost of operating PM versus Koodo or Telus.

My viewpoint is focussed on marginal cost: how much does it cost Telus to add a PM, Kood, or Telus subscriber. The answer is likely within cents of each other which means pricing is not cost centric in a brand specific manner.

@srlawren wrote:

@Luddite you nailed it.  Personally I think this is a ploy to get you to try to upgrade your plan when you get frustrated once the approx. double dial-up modem speeds throttling kicks in.  They know you can't use enough data to be terribly dangerous because it will be so slow, and that knowing you have unlimited, you're probably going to be on a mission to use a lot of data, thus more likely to hit the cap and decide to add more full-speed data.  

I still think this is a step in the right direction, but I think the number of customers that will be happy with this arrangement in the long term is low.  Either you're going to use less than the 10 (or more at higher plan cost) GB of full-speed data and feel you're overpaying for it (vs. the promos that have been run in the past with $60/10GB), OR, you're going to use a lot of data quickly and hit the throttle and be frustrated.  

These are just my opinions.

No automatic overage fee is better than the current plans.  However, if that's the main objective, we have already have Koodo. Either way, dollars for more gigabytes of usage or dollars for more unthrottled speeds could be just a matter of how some customers look at it. I have mixed feelings.

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Rogers is launching unlimited data plans tomorrow it says that in this article https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/12/rogerws-unlimited-data-plans-no-overage/ and its listed on their website, i really hope public mobile will follow, we need a break from being ripped off for data in canada

This interesting.  This is a good thing for Rogers customers.  I do wonder if people who subscribe to this plan do will be subscribing to it because they really need the feature or they'll be $60/10GB customers paying $15 more just for that insurance.

I certainly can't predict Public Mobile's reaction, but Chatr has had this type of reduced speed offerring after data the amount has been used up for quite a while, as has Lucky Mobile, and Public did not follow.  It could happen here, but first, I think we're going to see Telus follow suit first.

oneworld
@JackQuint Great opinion. i thought you were making a good argument but i think your underlying assumptions could be false, e.g. in the last three lines. All the best.

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Chatr was the first one to offer no overage charges on data

In the old time PM also has unlimited data 🙂 Not sure if Chatr or Pm offered it first though!

JackQuint

@GinYVR wrote:

Comparing Rogers with Public is silly.. just like comparing First class flight ticket to Economy.. it is designed for different demographic in mind. Yes it gets you the same results, but Roger's mainline brand, overhead is higher than Public's... stores, phone leasing, tech support, marketing, even features like data shaing.. that has to come from somewhere.. eg I am not sure Roger's customers will stand for autopay problems we have like here. It is good to know what others are offering.. but it is just not comparable.

The overhead argument just doesn't hold water. The overhead (for the most part) is corporate, not brand specific. Rogers' incurs overhead for Rogers' Wireless. They incur marginal overhead by adding Fido support/accounting/etc to that. They incur an even smaller marginal cost by adding Chatr. It's eactly the same with Bell/Virgin/Lucky.

The same is true of Telus/Koodo/PM. You are treating PM's lack of support as if it were the savings that would exist if PM was a standalone MVNO. It isn't, and the savings are therefore quite irrelevant. PM's service model is to support differentiating it on price, not because there's substantial savings for Telus.

If you believe that you're saving money because PM is so much cheaper for Telus to operate than Koodo or their mainline brand, you're being influenced by the marketing, not the facts. Sure, Telus saves some money by having its customers take on first level support but it's not significant. PM pricing is entirely driven by the assessment Telus is making of the price points it needs from a competitive market position. Nothing more, nothing less.

srlawren

@Luddite wrote:

Foregt about it. I participate on another carrier forum that offers a similar deal with speed throttled to 384 kbps and there are many many complaints about the throttled speed.

Anyone using 20 GB at LTE speeds will not be happy when the throttle kicks in, so judge the value of all these unlimited plans on the data offered at full speed.

@Luddite you nailed it.  Personally I think this is a ploy to get you to try to upgrade your plan when you get frustrated once the approx. double dial-up modem speeds throttling kicks in.  They know you can't use enough data to be terribly dangerous because it will be so slow, and that knowing you have unlimited, you're probably going to be on a mission to use a lot of data, thus more likely to hit the cap and decide to add more full-speed data.  

I still think this is a step in the right direction, but I think the number of customers that will be happy with this arrangement in the long term is low.  Either you're going to use less than the 10 (or more at higher plan cost) GB of full-speed data and feel you're overpaying for it (vs. the promos that have been run in the past with $60/10GB), OR, you're going to use a lot of data quickly and hit the throttle and be frustrated.  

These are just my opinions.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Comparing Rogers with Public is silly.. just like comparing First class flight ticket to Economy.. it is designed for different demographic in mind. Yes it gets you the same results, but Roger's mainline brand, overhead is higher than Public's... stores, phone leasing, tech support, marketing, even features like data shaing.. that has to come from somewhere.. eg I am not sure Roger's customers will stand for autopay problems we have like here. It is good to know what others are offering.. but it is just not comparable.

Forget about it. I participate on another carrier forum that offers a similar deal with speed throttled to 384 kbps and there are many many complaints about the throttled speed.

Anyone using 20 GB at LTE speeds will not be happy when the throttle kicks in, so judge the value of all these unlimited plans on the data offered at full speed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bridonca

256 kilobits a second is a little under 83 gigabytes of data for the month if you are downloading constantly.  It might take 8 hours to download a movie, but that can be done overnight.   If your other option is satellite internet, this might be a better option. 

popping

@geopublic wrote:

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

"If customers need more high-speed data, they can buy a ‘Speed Pass’ to add 3GB of data for $15 CAD."

I don't know about PM offering this but maybe reduce the data addon cost by 50% or double the amount of data for the existing price would be a welcomed gesture.

The cheaper data add-on can be 3G data.  $10 for 1GB 3g speed will be great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe by this time this topic should be in The Lounge. Maybe it really should have started there. But hey...who am I to say. Freeze Peach and all that.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

@duffer900 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I am somewhat confused by this post.  Bringing up unlimited this plan from Rogers suggests that they are offering a superior product in terms of feature/price that Public Mobile should duplicate.  Then the discussion goes on to say we need a break from being ripped off.  So, is the Rogers offer a deal or a rip off?  From what I can tell it is a $75/10GB plan, not an unlimited plan which would likely cost a whole lot more.  This service does not have a loyalty department and so there is nobody to negotiate with.  In the roughly 3 years I have been here, hoping for change is somewhat of a lost cause.  I have developed a bit of notariety for using the line "Get this service for what it is, not what you wish it to be".  It seems like the cliche is applicable here. 

I read the article.  It's as written, with the throttle to 256Kbps after the 10GB, on a 30-day plan, and I believe talk and text is included.  They are pulling device subsidies out of the 'plan' and making it like 'tab'.  After the subsidy contract is over, you still pay the $75/10GB cost, but no 'extra' for the subsidy.

It's a plan for 'family sharing' which foolish in my mind (I don't have a family, I just want a cellular plan).

These plans do not include talk and text. This 75$ is for data.

I believe.

Actually they include talk and text 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/12/rogers-infinite-unlimited-plans-throttle-speed/?fbclid=IwAR13qblz...

Just saw this.... Quite the departure from their original 125 a month for 10GB with talk and text....

kelvarnsen

Would be nice if Rogers made their plans more competitive. My wife is still with Rogers and has an unlimited talk/text/500mb plan. And even if you subtract what she pays to pay off the phone each mont itvis still more than double what I pay for the $25 1gb plan here. And that is not even factoring in tge overage charges (and illegal over the maximum limit overage charges).

coolvehiclefan

@duffer900 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I am somewhat confused by this post.  Bringing up unlimited this plan from Rogers suggests that they are offering a superior product in terms of feature/price that Public Mobile should duplicate.  Then the discussion goes on to say we need a break from being ripped off.  So, is the Rogers offer a deal or a rip off?  From what I can tell it is a $75/10GB plan, not an unlimited plan which would likely cost a whole lot more.  This service does not have a loyalty department and so there is nobody to negotiate with.  In the roughly 3 years I have been here, hoping for change is somewhat of a lost cause.  I have developed a bit of notariety for using the line "Get this service for what it is, not what you wish it to be".  It seems like the cliche is applicable here. 

I read the article.  It's as written, with the throttle to 256Kbps after the 10GB, on a 30-day plan, and I believe talk and text is included.  They are pulling device subsidies out of the 'plan' and making it like 'tab'.  After the subsidy contract is over, you still pay the $75/10GB cost, but no 'extra' for the subsidy.

It's a plan for 'family sharing' which foolish in my mind (I don't have a family, I just want a cellular plan).

I believe.

Actually they include talk and text 

duffer900

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I believe.

@will13am wrote:

JackQuint

Since that article mentions Freedom, the currently have 14GB LTE for $60/month. Have no idea why anyone who needs substantial data would use anyone but Freedom as long as they lived in an area with Freedom service. Since I live in Metro Vancouver, no way on earth is Rogers' remotely competitive.

duffer900

@will13am wrote:

I think it's a complete farce to be honest....

I was just providing information

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

duffer900

Forget what I said about streaming... That was changed to basic email, texting and browsing.

With 256k,  good luck doing much.

Here is the fine print.

Rogers Infinite Plans Data Policy

Rogers Infinite data plans include 10GB, 20GB or 50GB of data at max speed on the Rogers network, extended coverage areas within Canada, and Roam Like Home destinations (see rogers.com/roamlikehome). You will continue to have access to data services with no overage beyond the max speed allotment at a reduced speed of up to 256 kilobits per second (for both upload and download) until the end of your current billing cycle. Applications such as email, web browsing, apps, and audio/video streaming will continue to function at a reduced speed which will likely impact your experience. We will send you a text message notifying you when you have used 90% and 100% of the max speed allotment included in your plan with the option to purchase a Speed Pass to add more max speed data to your plan. In all cases, usage is subject to the Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy

coolvehiclefan

I hope so, i hate the Rogers coverage and them needing to provide roaming off telus 

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Chatr was the first one to offer no overage charges on data

Hopefully, PM will eventually get there too.

coolvehiclefan

Actually no their plans are $75 for 10gb of full speed data, $95 for 20gb of full speed data and $125 for 50gb of full speed data then speeds are reduced to 256kbps 

duffer900

@mojorising wrote:

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

So if they are offering unlimited data, I guess their plans will be $250 a month and the shirt off your back.

LOL, yeah. I read it's 75$ for 10 GB of fast speeds, then Free unlimited at throttled speeds. That is on top of the cell plan. So around 135-140 a month.

They claim the lowered speed is good for browsing, video streaming, etc. So guessing 3g ish...

Need Help? Let's chat.