cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Asia

PublicEcho
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If I choose to travel to another country like Japan and Korea how would this work to get data?

I think data is all that I will need. 

Can somebody please help me out?

I appreciate it in advance.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PublicEcho wrote:

My phone is from Fido and they unlocked the phone for me when I came to PM. 

Does this mean that my phone is always unlocked? 

@PublicEcho in general, yes it should remain unlocked.  I haven't seen it happen personally but have heard of cases where this didn't hold up.  I think it can be undone by a factory reset on some phones, but I think it's pretty rare.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@PublicEchoIt is not a SIM card. There are booths when you land where you can rent a portable wifi router which works out to be a few bucks a day, the longer the cheaper the per day charge will be. You return it at the airport when you leave. However if you want to be prepared you can also purchase a wifi pass from Docomo's website. That allows you to connect to Docomo's wifi hotspot around Japan.

PublicEcho

@GinYVR wrote:

@PublicEchoYour SIM / Public Mobile won't work.

However you can rent a wifi "pod" from places like NTT Docomo for about $20Cad a month, it is all you can eat. For Korea just pick up a tourist SIM card from 7-11.

Enjoy your trip.

It is called Tourist SIM card? 

What is the plan that they offer? 

Doesn't Korea also have a pocket wifi to rent for a month?

PublicEcho

@computergeek541 wrote:

@PublicEcho wrote:

If I get a SIM card in Korea or Japan don't I need to unlock my phone or I don't need to do this? 

And when I get back to Canada Pop back the Public Mobile SIM card?

Yes, the phone would need to be unlocked, but it might already be.  To check, insert another carrier's sim card (example Rogers) to see it it works.

My phone is from Fido and they unlocked the phone for me when I came to PM. 

Does this mean that my phone is always unlocked? 

@PublicEcho wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@PublicEcho wrote:

If I get a SIM card in Korea or Japan don't I need to unlock my phone or I don't need to do this? 

Yes, the phone would need to be unlockee, but it might already be.  To check, insert another carrier's sim card (example Rogers) to see it it works.

If you put in a SIM card it gets locked?

No, it won't.

PublicEcho

@computergeek541 wrote:

@PublicEcho wrote:

Yes, the phone would need to be unlockee, but it might already be.  To check, insert another carrier's sim card (example Rogers) to see it it works.

If you put in a SIM card it gets locked?

@PublicEcho wrote:

Yes, the phone would need to be unlocked, but it might already be.  To check, insert another carrier's sim card (example Rogers) to see it it works.

PublicEcho

Grapejuice
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently did a trip to Asia and I bought a SIM card there for my phone. If you think that all you need is data, there is wifi almost everywhere you go if it’s a big city. Depending on where you go though, the plans are a lot cheaper.  

zfx

Or you can get a temporary Canadian phone number for free via apps like Fongo or TextNow and using it over the WiFi networks while you are in Asia.

But I hope soon PM will support global roaming

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not offer roaming except in the US.  You could buy a sim like Gigsky which has coverage for Asia or a local sim.  If you have access to wifi then you could use apps like Fongo, textnow, or Skype.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PublicEcho wrote:

If I choose to travel to another country like Japan and Korea how would this work to get data?

• Thank you.

• land in the destination country
  • purchase a travel sim card (data), be sure to choose the amount you think you'll need [you'll be pleasantly surprised how inexpensive those travel sims & data can be, when compared to North American mobile plans]

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PublicEchoYour SIM / Public Mobile won't work.

However you can rent a wifi "pod" from places like NTT Docomo for about $20Cad a month, it is all you can eat. For Korea just pick up a tourist SIM card from 7-11.

Enjoy your trip.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PublicEcho wrote:

Thank you.

When my daughter went to Korea last year, she used WhatApp over free Wifi to communication with family in Canada.

When my in-laws went to Japan last month, they got a personal WiFi when they arrived at Japan.  It is cheaper to get a personal WiFi for 5 people traveling together.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicEcho wrote:

Thank you.

You'll need to get a roaming/travel SIM from somewhere or get one local where you go.

Or use wifi.

Public Mobile only has services in the states using add-ons.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@PublicEcho 

Unfortunately, Public mobile does not offer international roaming.  Only roaming in the USA.  You might need to buy a local SIM card when you get to your country.  

Need Help? Let's chat.