cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revival of $10 Plan — Especially for Seniors

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

PM needs to consider re-introducing the $10 plan for the following reasons:

1. The Seniors wish to keep a cell phone — especially for emergencies — but are conscious of their budget
  2. They are neither knowledgeable about nor need the frills — like texting and data
  3. Opening the doors to them would be a service to seniors at no expense to PM

Indeed this suggestion can be ruled out outright on the basis that a service like PM is not for those who cannot handle a self-serve phone management service. But we forget that many seniors do have access to their family and friends who can help them create and maintain a self-serve account with PM.

An example. Recently, a senior (90+) needed a phone badly because of his frequent visits to the hospital. I helped him sign into the PM for the $15 Plan and also set up his phone but had to remove the SMS service and Data Usage icons from the screen because he was neither keen nor knowledgeable to use these. I did feel sorry though that he would be paying for something that he was not going to use. All he needed was about a 100 minutes (+)  of monthly talk especially during his occasional visits to the hospital. 

Please, therefore, consider re-introducing the $10 plan especially for Seniors even if without the frills of texting and data etc. though allowing for the Add-On for talk.
@Alan_K 

41 REPLIES 41

Cheaper Plans help decrease average revenue per subscriber. Which undermines the endless drive (by carriers) to increase ARPU. 

And Public doesn't have any lock-ins which obligate new customers to stick around for long terms. So they don't gain (they lose) by offering lower prices and greater services than necessary to keep up with their competitors. 

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Unfortunately, carriers are not charities.  Maybe the plan got removed because it was too popular and making enough money for them.  7/11 has a pay per use service that can be quite cheap if you never use the phone.  Each call can be costly.  

@88cranston   If your MIL barely uses Telus's $10 plan, wouldn't it be cheaper to put her on the $100/year plan which include 400 mins (local) and 400 texts?  I know the difference is only $20/year savings, but it's still better than nothing.  JMO:)

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree. My mother-in-law, 92, has Telus Starter 10 and is still available.  I know the price would be lower if it was the PM $10 plan. I watch over her Telus account and for months at a time there is zero usage, but she religiously takes it when she goes out. She has a balance of over $100 and they keep billing her credit card even though I have flipped the switch on her account to take funds from her balance. Telus.....your systems and service have gone down hill.  Instead you could use this plan for your second phone or the SpeakOut plan. 

Here is the plan. 

5E611E9D-B101-4452-8CE1-77525E7E67FB.jpegif 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is a great option for families that want a secondary phone so the can contact their children or choldren can contact their parents especially in the case of emergencies. 

LP1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was just looking for the $10 plan today for my spare phone.

I was tired of switching my sim card back and forth between 2 cells, different size slots.

I went to Walmart and Bought 2 sim cards just in case mine has issues in the future.

I am on the $25 plan.

But a spare ready to go is handy.

When the $10 plan comes back I will activate my spare.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Lar wrote:

How would someone prove they were a senior?  SMS in their birth certificate to PM....

Yes I have the $10 plan with extra minutes added and love it. If I'm at home or near wifi then android gives me a choice of PM phone or Google hangout app before I make the call so yesterday I talked to someone in Florida without using any PM minutes.  Cheers

I think it was more along the lines 'for the sake of seniors' and not 'for seniors only'

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How would someone prove they were a senior?  SMS in their birth certificate to PM....

Yes I have the $10 plan with extra minutes added and love it. If I'm at home or near wifi then android gives me a choice of PM phone or Google hangout app before I make the call so yesterday I talked to someone in Florida without using any PM minutes.  Cheers

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

We have it in my household as a spare loaner phone, anybody dropped off or anybody taking cab can take it to call for a ride. I actually would like to get another one as this school year the schedule changed drastically and have people going different directions, I'm considering now 15 plan (when I hunt down a cheap uses phone) If they bring back 10 I will definitely hop on it.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I second it

Great option

Also great dormant plan while away

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sa7375 

I agree.  The $10 plan with autopay reward is perfect for senior using a flip phone.

After Lucky and Chatr canceled their $10 plan, PM continues to offer the $10 plan for a while before cancelling.  I don't think PM will bring it back unless Lucky, Chatr and Freedom are offering the $10 plan again.

$10 plan with only 50 minutes is still good for senior using a flip phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.