cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request: roaming to more countries than just the USA please

fathom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since PM is part of Telus, it would be very useful to have roaming plans for other countries/continent.

Any idea if/when this if planned for?

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fathom wrote:

Weird

On my phone (Xiaomi) as soon as I set the phone to forward to Fongo, I get all the SMS also.

Can't remember what I did to set it up, not don't remember having to jump through hoops

@fathom that's......... unusual.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

fathom

Weird

On my phone (Xiaomi) as soon as I set the phone to forward to Fongo, I get all the SMS also.

Can't remember what I did to set it up, not don't remember having to jump through hoops

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@fathom wrote:

Fongo talk and txt is only about $3 and you can forward both calls and SMS.

I personally found that I could not get Fongo to work while recently travelling in South Africa.  I modified the various settings within Fongo and tried multipe hotel / coffee shop wifi locations with no success.  I am sure this was South African specific as I have heard of success with people travelling elsewhere. A plan 'B' might be prudent just the same.

I did have success using Google Hangouts and since I had previously verified my cell phone number with Google I was able to have Hangouts display my number as the source of the call.  This alleviated any angst from the receiving person that the call was spam and was indeed legitimate.

srlawren

@fathom wrote:

Thanks that's actually an elegant solution.

@fathom forwarding texts from your PM # to your Fongo # is a bit complicated--it's not a simple as turning on the network setting like it is for calls.  You actually need to leave a spare Android phone in Canada with your PM SIM card installed, and connected to a power brick, and run one of a few different SMS forwarding apps.  It's not impossible, but fairly impractical for most folks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

fathom

Thanks that's actually an elegant solution.

srlawren

@fathom for continuity of phone number, you could always get a free Fongo account with a phone number based in your home province, then call forward to that number before leaving Canada, and just make sure you get a local SIM in the country you're visiting which includes data for the phone calls.  Then you can use Hangouts Dialer to make your outbound calls with your Public Mobile phone number as the outbound caller ID number.  This doesn't help for texts, but I think you were specifically referring to phone calls.

@fathom wrote:

Sorry didn't mean to sound like a must.

It would be nice, so asking insistently (like a toddler) rather than 'request' lol

Smiley Embarassed

Agree.  Just a friendly request in the future.  Also, maybe increasing the number of countries that one can call in their long distance add on would be also "nice"

fathom

Sorry didn't mean to sound like a must.

It would be nice, so asking insistently (like a toddler) rather than 'request' lol

Smiley Embarassed

fathom

Migration could be an option however

-I never used up the 12 Gig every 90 days to having more data is not all that attractive

-I do get a fair discount with prepaid, referrals, and loyalty that it would cost quite a bit more to migrate to Koodo

-Freedom mobile coverage is rather poor where I live

Using another SIM card is an option as I do have a 2 slots phone

However it would be much better for business/clients to have just one number to deal with when I'm out of the country.

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren wrote:

@fathom yeah this is a fairly popular request indeed.  If international roaming is important to you, you may want to seriously consider a Koodo migration, should you receive a migraiton offer via text message.  Nobody can say for sure, but I'd call it "quite unlikely" that roaming other than to the USA will come to PM any time in the forseeable future, so moving to Koodo if offered is probably your best bet.

Or just going with the cheapest - not necessarily the easies if language is an isse - 

just buy a local SIM card when you arrive.

srlawren

@fathom yeah this is a fairly popular request indeed.  If international roaming is important to you, you may want to seriously consider a Koodo migration, should you receive a migraiton offer via text message.  Nobody can say for sure, but I'd call it "quite unlikely" that roaming other than to the USA will come to PM any time in the forseeable future, so moving to Koodo if offered is probably your best bet.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am wrote:

Likely never.  This is a tier 3 brand.  I suggest that you buy this service for what it is, not what you hope it to be.  This is the frustration free approach.

There is no harm in asking though he's making a request. When I joined PM there wasnt even roaming to the USA. And pm brought it in. 

Freedom mobile isn't a direct competitor but they have roaming and even unlimited talk text and some data to many countries. Packages to the south/caribbean and even worldwide. Also pay per use rates for other countries etc. I almost switched back to frredom for a 2 week Caribbean vacation to be able to use my phone in many south countries.... But smartly stayed with PM

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Likely never.  This is a tier 3 brand.  I suggest that you buy this service for what it is, not what you hope it to be.  This is the frustration free approach.

Need Help? Let's chat.