cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding data usage

canjackie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My last payment was Nov.8 which is 3 month payment cycle and and my data started to use on Nov. 13. My phone device also has the information how much I used during the cycle and similar to the usage in my account of public mobile website whenever I checked. but this time almost 1G difference between my phone device tracking and my usage in public mobile website.
I want you to look into the details.
Current cycle starts Nov.13, 2013 and next cycle starts Feb 13, 2019. I cannot believe I used over 2.7G out of 6G less than a month period.
My phone device indicates 1.8 G.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

u dont really need to add an app to monitor ur data, ur phone could do that in-house. Adding a app is just adding more data usage overall

@slash407 depends on the app.  If you're using My Data Manager, then yes it does use some data, and it has some potentially troubling privacy policies about how that data is used once transmitted to them https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/How-to-minimize-your-data-usage/m-p/15107...https://www.mydatamanagerapp.com/privacy-policy/.

On the other hand, if you're on an Android device, you could use the free Data Witness PM, provided by community member @IWIK.  It does all it's work locally and does not consume any data in the process.  More about Data Witness: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@slash407 wrote:

u dont really need to add an app to monitor ur data, ur phone could do that in-house. Adding a app is just adding more data usage overall

@slash407Built in phone apps work on a monthly basis. Public mobile is not monthly. Public mobile is 30 or 90 days so you are constantly re-configuring dates with it. Makes life easy. They can also include helpful features, reminders, averaging, forecasts, etc and help you save more data and have a more intuitive (to some) user interface.

But you're right, you don't NEED one. I also don't NEED the arnold sound board but I sure do love having it 🙂

emdash
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

According to plan details on Public Mobile's website, "Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB." This is similar to how minutes are tracked—if you spend 2:15 on the phone, you're billed for three minutes. I expect what's happened is your phone has tracked exactly how much data has passed in and out, and the reason this disagrees with the Public Mobile site is likely because Public Mobile has rounded up to the nearest 10 kilobytes each time your phone has transferred some data. Over time, this discrepancy has increased.

Depending on your make/model of phone, you may be able to view which app(s) or service(s) have been using the majority of your data, and take steps to reduce this usage. For instance, on iOS, you can view the data usage of any specific app by going to Settings > Cellular. Scroll down to the list of apps to view data usage, and tap the switch to toggle data on or off for any given app.

@canjackie wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

I don't have any issue since I start to use the data but I want to know which date in November my data cycle started. It is supposed to begin 13th day every three month with 6G even though my payment cycle is 8th every three month.

Please let me know the start date tracking this cycle.

Regards,

Jackie 

Your data starts each time your plan renews.  It isn't 3 months it is 90 days so your payment date and data renewal date will change as not all months are exactly 30 days.  That is why your payment date is now on the 8th.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

canjackie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the reply.

I don't have any issue since I start to use the data but I want to know which date in November my data cycle started. It is supposed to begin 13th day every three month with 6G even though my payment cycle is 8th every three month.

Please let me know the start date tracking this cycle.

Regards,

Jackie 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@canjackie this comes up quite a bit and the answer is always the same:  the PM tracker is accurate.  If you're using the tracker on your phone, you need to remember to reset it every 30 or 90 days (depending on your plan length) becuase the phone trackers don't understand anything but calendar-monthly plans.

You may want to look at using an alternate app on your phone.  If you have an iPhone, the popular one seems to be My Data Manager.  It allows for custom plan lengths (such as 30 or 90 days), and offers up additional analytics on your data usage (though at the possible expense of some potential privacy issues).

If you're on an Android, My Data Manager is also available, OR, many of us in the community prefer Data Witness PM.  It's an app written by community member @IWIK, and he offers it up free to Public Mobile customers. It runs entirely locally without the privacy concerns associated with MDM and is pretty handy.  You can read more about it in my overview posting if you're curious.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@canjackie, the data usage tracker on the phone is on a monthly cycle while the Public Mobile data tracker is on a 30/90 day cycle.  This could possibly explain the discrepancy.  Although you have been asked to follow up with the moderator team, I doubt that there is anything they can/will do for you.  The data usage meter is accurate and is there is nothing a carrier can do when the phone usage reports a different value.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@canjackie

The Public Mobile data tracker is usually fairly accurate.  But, if you feel there is a big difference, you will need to contact moderator.

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please include in the private message your phone number, your account number and PIN code.

Need Help? Let's chat.