cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts while roaming

ChijiokeE
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I will appreciate your help.

I am currently in the US for a short period. I purchased US roaming (for calls and data) just before I left Canada.

The roaming add-on is now used up.

I am expecting an important text on my phone and have gone on to purchase the 10 day roaming text add-on again. But I find that I am yet to start receiving texts.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thank you very much.

NB: I actually just purchased this roaming text add-on earlier today. Could that have anything to do with this.

Thanks a lot

Chi

19 REPLIES 19

@ChijiokeE 

At least you now know should you suddenly lose service to immediately log into your account and check your sim card number (last 4 digits.) If they are not the same suspend your service via lost/stolen and change your psssword. Thankfully you've recovered your phone and finances.

ChijiokeE

You're welcome.

And thanks again, for all your help.

ChijiokeE

They did take some money from my account.

But it has been resolved and the money refunded.

This is the first time that such has happened to me. So it was quite surprising. But thankfully it has been resolved. Thanks for all your help

@ChijiokeE 

Im sorry to hear that as well....it was probably fortunate you were roaming and caught onto the simjacking quickly enough thru the moderators. You are first ive heard about having this happen while roaming.....hopefully your finances remained secure!

@ChijiokeE wrote:

Hey thanks a lot for your help.

Yes you're right. This needed to go to the moderators.

It turns out that someone had breached my account and swapped my sim for some fraudulent intent. That has now been resolved.  I have also changed log in details and all. I am now able to use my phone as before.

I would never have been able to find that out had I not reached out to the moderators.

Thanks for advising that.

Cheers

Chijioke

@ChijiokeE   Oh wow...sorry to hear that you were another victim of this sim swap fraud but yeah good to hear that moderators were able to help you resolve it and thanks for updating your post.

ChijiokeE

Hey thanks a lot for your help.

Yes you're right. This needed to go to the moderators.

It turns out that someone had breached my account and swapped my sim for some fraudulent intent. That has now been resolved.  I have also changed log in details and all. I am now able to use my phone as before.

I would never have been able to find that out had I not reached out to the moderators.

Thanks for advising that.

Cheers

Chijioke

@ChijiokeE wrote:

Good morning today.

Yes. I have rebooted the phone lots of times. I have also checked and seen that the new roaming text add-on is reflecting on my profile page.

@ChijiokeE   Have you managed to resolve your issue yet?  If you're still unable to use your roaming add-on then you should contact the moderators either via the chatbot bubble bottom right of the screen or click the envelope icon top right and send a private message to Moderator_Team.

ChijiokeE

Good morning today.

Yes. I have rebooted the phone lots of times. I have also checked and seen that the new roaming text add-on is reflecting on my profile page.

ChijiokeE

You are probably right. I am unable to either receive or send texts. I have rebooted the phone countless times and even transferred the sim to another phone...all to no avail. Attempt to send texts leads to the response that I am not connected to a network.

I would love to be able to connect to a network manually if that would help...

My phone is a Samsung A20s.

Thank you so very much

@ChijiokeE 

You need to message the moderators. It sounds like you have two concurrent texting add ons that effectively cancel themselves out. Either way they are probably the only ones to sort it out.

Manually choose the carrier by going into your network settings. You would need to to tell us the make and model of your phone for exact instructions.

ChijiokeE

I thought so too. I was not sure if not having a roaming text plan while I was here might have something to do with it. So I bought the text add-on just to be sure.

And No. I am using an android phone. Not an iphone.

Thanks for your continuing help

ChijiokeE

Hello Great citizen, thanks for your help. Yes. My roaming is set to on... I do not quite know how to ensure I am connected to a US provider. I didn't have to do anything to have that feature. I always always saw that I was connected to one US provider or the other. That feature has not been showing for a while now..

@ChijiokeE wrote:

Hello,

Thanks so much for responding.

I bought the roaming add-ons about a month ago.

They have long expired.

Then I just bought the new text add-on today

As stated previously, text messages do not use data and incoming text messages also do not require a roaming add-on.  By any change are you using an iPhone device?  If so, make sure that SMS is enabled.

ChijiokeE

Hello,

Thanks so much for responding.

I bought the roaming add-ons about a month ago.

They have long expired.

Then I just bought the new text add-on today

@ChijiokeE wrote:

Hello, I will appreciate your help.

I am currently in the US for a short period. I purchased US roaming (for calls and data) just before I left Canada.

The roaming add-on is now used up.

I am expecting an important text on my phone and have gone on to purchase the 10 day roaming text add-on again. But I find that I am yet to start receiving texts.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thank you very much.

NB: I actually just purchased this roaming text add-on earlier today. Could that have anything to do with this.

The roaming add-on should have no relation to any incoming text messaging add that you are currently having. You also do not need a roaming add-on to receive SMS text messages while in the U.S.  When it comes to bugs/glitches, Public Mobile did have a problem with incoming text messages, but that would happen after you had returned to Canada and after the roaming add-on expired (and the issue has be fixed since anyway).

@ChijiokeE 

Exactly what was your original US roaming add on purchase? The $20 call/text/data? Or separate ones? Do they overlap time wise? If not when did your first add on run out and the new one start? In hours please.....

@DDM69 wrote:

You'll need to make sure data roaming is set to "on" and make sure your phone is connecting to a US provider.

While there is automatic and manual network selection, most phones only have a roaming setting for data.

SMS messages don't use data.  As such, data roaming does not need to be enabled.

@ChijiokeE 

Reboot your phone and manually chose at&t or T-mobile. Double check your account to make sure you have the texting add on showing in your overview page.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You'll need to make sure data roaming is set to "on" and make sure your phone is connecting to a US provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.