cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving calls from UK

chrisbca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What plan do I require to recieve calls from the UK and what will I be charged when they call?

25 REPLIES 25

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

Other UK callers CAN from their mobiles/cells. So maybe there is something wrong on his side. Thanks for all help.

@andyknoxVanBC that would be my guess.  In Canada, we don't really distinguish between cell and home phone lines when determining long distance rates, but I think in at least parts of Europe, the end-point is significant.  Though, it's weird he could call you on the same number when you were with Rogers.  How recently did you port your number?  I wonder if maybe the UK teleco for some reason has outdate data and is trying to route the call to your now-defunct Rogers service.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

andyknoxVanBC

Other UK callers CAN from their mobiles/cells. So maybe there is something wrong on his side. Thanks for all help.

srlawren

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

Thanks and am asking for some others to try and call from UK. All other contacts use whatsapp or facetime usually. Will let you know

@andyknoxVanBC what exactly happens when he tries to call you?  Does the call go to your voicemail?  Does your dad hear a message of some kind?  What does it say?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

Thanks and am asking for some others to try and call from UK. All other contacts use whatsapp or facetime usually. Will let you know

Also, have you checked your call history to see if the call shows up. If yes, then your phone must be blocking it.

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

FYI...there's an inexpensive PM Add-on that you can buy that will allow you to call dad whilst you're in Canada. Unique offer in the Canadian telco world. 400 International Long Distance minutes

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

$15

andyknoxVanBC

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

Thanks and double checked on 2 different devices IOS and Android still the same. It's my dad trying to call from a landline phone in England. He doesn't have a cell phone. Maybe Public Mobile doesnt support Analog? It worked ok with Rogers.

Does dad have restricted calling ? Check to see if his provider blocks calls to distant numbers.

sandpublic

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

Same number ported over from Rogers.

Ok. Is it just your dad or others who try to call you from the UK?

andyknoxVanBC

Same number ported over from Rogers.

sandpublic

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

Thanks and double checked on 2 different devices IOS and Android still the same. It's my dad trying to call from a landline phone in England. He doesn't have a cell phone. Maybe Public Mobile doesnt support Analog? It worked ok with Rogers.

Do you have a new number or did you port your number over from Rogers? If it's a new number make sure your dad is calling the correct number.

andyknoxVanBC

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

I am on $40 for 30 day plan which includes 

Sorry for the delay. 

I don't think it due to minutes being limited on the 10 plan.

Any other reason?

@andyknoxVanBC Highly unlikely it's related to PM's service if you are able to receive other calls. Double check you phone settings to ensure their number is not blocked. Do they have ld calling on their plan?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

andyknoxVanBC

I am on $40 for 30 day plan which includes 

Sorry for the delay. 

I don't think it due to minutes being limited on the 10 plan.

Any other reason?

srlawren

@andyknoxVanBC do you have a moment to provide an update? 

srlawren

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

I am not able to receive calls from UK and I read this thread before I signed up with public mobile.  @Metal1967  can you look into why my family cant call my cell number?

I'm not sure why you tagged @Metal1967, that person is just another customer like you or I and has no ability to look into things for you. However, I think that @sandpublic may have identified a possible cause:  are you on the $10 plan?  If so, could you have used up your 50 mins of talk time?

Other than that, if you have talk time left (or are on any of the unlimited options:  unlimited province-wide talk, unlimited canada-wide talk, unlimited canada wide and to the US talk) then you should be able to receive calls from anywhere.  Are you sure the caller is dialing your number correctly (as per https://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=united_kingdom&callto=canada)?

If none of the above is the explanation, you will need to send the moderator team a private message to get help.  You can learn how to do that here:  How to Get Help

sandpublic

@andyknoxVanBC wrote:

I am not able to receive calls from UK and I read this thread before I signed up with public mobile.  @Metal1967  can you look into why my family cant call my cell number?

What plan do you have? If it's not an unlimited calling plan do you have available minutes left on your plan? If yes, are they calling the correct number?

andyknoxVanBC

Camelia_M
Customer Support Agent

Hi @chrisbca,

I see that you already received a lot of great answers.

If you want more detailed information please check our Knowledge Base click here .

Camelia_M

Sharry19
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@chrisbca on Public Mobile you can receive incoming calls from anywhere in the World no matter whatever plan you have. 

@Metal1967 wrote:

@wetcoaster 

Still no xtra charges....just less time to talk on the $10 package.....

Which, essentially, equals to a charge. Not because of the location of the original caller, but because you are still using your airtime on an incoming call.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Metal1967 wrote:

@chrisbca wrote:

What plan do I require to recieve calls from the UK and what will I be charged when they call?

@chrisbca 

You can receive calls from anywhere on any plan with talk...no xtra charges

@Metal1967   your statement applies to unlimited plans only, though. If you are on the $10/50min/50texts plan all incoming calls will count against your 50 minutes of included airtime.

Yes, of course that's true.  I think he was just trying to point out that that the person calling from the UK isn't a factor.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster 

Still no xtra charges....just less time to talk on the $10 package.....

@chrisbca wrote:

As Metal1967 said, any plan will do.

For some reason people seem to think that it matters where a call comes from.  It never does, on any carrier, on any plan.   There are even some people who incorrectly swear by this and refuse to answer a call from someone calling from a different city. 

This is unwarranted and there's no truth to this costing the receiving person anything extra. When someone calls you, it is all the same, whether the call is from your next door neighbor, from someone on the other side of the country, or a call from the other side of an ocean.

@Metal1967 wrote:

@chrisbca wrote:

@chrisbca 

@Metal1967   your statement applies to unlimited plans only, though. If you are on the $10/50min/50texts plan all incoming calls will count against your 50 minutes of included airtime.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@chrisbca wrote:

@chrisbca 

Need Help? Let's chat.