cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving calls from Mexico

GeorgeBest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I understand my $25 pre-paid account does not allow for overseas calling without an add-on but I was of the belief that callers from Mexico, the US or other countries could call me directly with no additional charge.

That has not been the case recently when a client in Mexico has been calling ... I could see the number he was calling from but my phone did not ring even when I was expecting is call?

10 REPLIES 10

Put the callers number from Mexico into your contact list. And even if you have Do Not Disturb ON the caller may still get through depending on how you set up the do not disturb. And as well if in contact list may also allow call if you have any other settings on your phone that prevent callers from calling if they are NOT in your contacts list. 

Ensure you don't have a setting enabled to block calls from unknown or private numbers. Their call may not present caller-id.

Also, it could just be due to the overloaded phone network situation. Even calls within canada between carriers are failing due to an "all-circuits-busy" situation...

Get someone to test calling you with their outgoing caller ID blocked: From a land line, preceed call with *67 and from a mobile preceed number with #31# and see if it goes through.

It may be on their side

Next time ask them to call your wife phone if your fails just to test.

GeorgeBest

I do use the do not disturb option overnight but this was daytime.

GeorgeBest

That's just it ... I generally do not need to call out to Mexico (or anywhere else for that matter) so the add on isn't necessary for my needs. My client was in Mexico on holiday and needed to call but couldn't get through?  

GeorgeBest

No, I thought that might be the case but the ringer was on. I was able to communicate with the client via text so I had my phone in-hand when he tried again, but unfortunately I could not connect via phone? Seemed weird!

I used my wife's phone to call him (she still uses Telus) and of course got through. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

When you're in Canada, you can receive calls from anywhere without additional charges...if you want to call Mexico or any one of several countries, you need the 400 minutes International Calling add-on for $15.

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your right, you should be able to receive calls from anywhere in the world, as long as they are the ones paying the long-distance charges.  No additional charges to you.

It seems weird what you are saying about his number coming up, so you weren't able to answer his call then?  Was your phone on silent mode or something.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You can receive call from anybody

Check your settings, are you in do not disturb mode?

In that case the phone will not ring but you will see missed call

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You can receive calls from anywhere for no additional charge. Perhaps your phone rejects calls from foreign locations due to settings.

What phone do you use ?

Need Help? Let's chat.