cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Incoming Calls from Canada into the US?

Psiko3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good Afternoon,

I'm going to be moving to the USA in the next week or so for work for a year and was wondering how incoming calls/text will work to my Canadian number with Public: Will I be charged for incoming calls or texts while I am on US soil?

My current plan - 8.5GB at 3G Speed - Unlimited International Text - Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US

I was hoping to maintain my plan by going to a dual sim card phone so that I can have the opportunity to receive calls to my Canadian number and to use a US card to make outgoing calls back to Canada (I unfortunately missed the unlimited canada and us talk to/from promotion for 58$ by a few days; shoot..).

I've considered the add-ons but constantly renewing ever 10 days for calling and texting seems like an incredible hassle.

8 REPLIES 8

@Psiko3 wrote:

If I were to add the 400 min. International Long Distance (Incl Canada & US) - $15.00 package, would that allow to me make and receive calls whilst within the US using my Canadian number?

@Psiko3  If you really want to maintain a canadian pm number that you could access from the US your best bet would be to change your plan to the $15 or the $25. Based on the $15...purchase both the $5/500min and the $15/400min international. Leave your phone or a cheap flip phone with a friend or family member who is willing to charge it every few days (with a flip phone once a week.) Get a cheap plan like the at&t one from Wal-Mart. Call forward your pm number to your US number. Calls to your pm number will go to your US number via the international add on. You will be able to call your pm number from your US number, retrieve voicemail, manage your account via your self serve and the $5/500 is so cheap you can offer it as a bonus to the person maintaining your phone for calls, accessing 611 for you etc.. the add ons will rollover if not used til you come back or visit and you can repurchase if necessary. All the incoming will be included and not incurr the caller long distance charges trying to reach you on your US phone by dialing your pm number. With autopay it will be $13 per month+add ons when necessary. This will cost you about the same as the $60 plan that's been discontinued recently by public mobile.

@Psiko3  When you are in the US they have some nice deals that will allow you to roam in Canada and Mexico for free.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13131115-at-t-prepaid-unl-talk-text-25gb-for-40-mo-with-autopay-50-without-...

@Psiko3 wrote:

If I were to add the 400 min. International Long Distance (Incl Canada & US) - $15.00 package, would that allow to me make and receive calls whilst within the US using my Canadian number?

No. That is for use in Canada. Only roaming add-ons work is U.S.

Psiko3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Psiko3 That would be expensive because you need to add a roaming add-on every 30 days.  You're probably better to get a U.S. number. People calling you would also need to call out to Canada (possible long distance for them).  

kerago
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just download fongo or textnow and get Canadian number, this way you can actually have 2 numbers, Canadian and American.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Why not port into a voip provider like fongo.com and then use their app to receive calls and sms.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Psiko3 wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I'm going to be moving to the USA in the next week or so for work for a year and was wondering how incoming calls/text will work to my Canadian number with Public: Will I be charged for incoming calls or texts while I am on US soil?

@Psiko3  Unfortunately with the plan that you have you will not be able to receive any calls or texts (?) while you are in the US.The only plan that would allow to receive calls would be the $60 pla that 's included as part of US roaming but that is not available anymore.

My current plan - 8.5GB at 3G Speed - Unlimited International Text - Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US

Unimited Talk to canada and the US is only avaialble whle you are in Canada.

I was hoping to maintain my plan by going to a dual sim card phone so that I can have the opportunity to receive calls to my Canadian number and to use a US card to make outgoing calls back to Canada (I unfortunately missed the unlimited canada and us talk to/from promotion for 58$ by a few days; shoot..).

As mentioned above that is not going to work. 

I've considered the add-ons but constantly renewing ever 10 days for calling and texting seems like an incredible hassle.

If you want to keep your number consider renewing your plan every 80 days to the $15.00 or port it out to Speakout or a similar service.

Need Help? Let's chat.