cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive texts in the US

BH28
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

without getting  roaming,  AM I able to receive texts while in the USA?

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ed404 I can definitely confim you will receive incoming texts without any roaming add-on(s). Some people (e.g. @Anonymous, probably others) say they can answer incoming calls without the US Roaming Talk add-on, though I have not personally tested this.  The official line from PM is you'll get nothing unless you buy the add-on.  My theory is they had to let texts through so they could deliver you messages like their "welcome to the USA" message.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

KatchAStar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I go to the States, I still RECEIVE texts (without any roaming package). I just can't SEND texts.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BH28 

I received texts while in USA for a day. I was very surprised that I did as I've read so many times nothing off the network unless you get roaming.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@BH28 wrote:

On a recent trip to USA, I was able to receive texts even without purchasing any US Roaming add-ons.

Family member purchased US Roaming add-on, which is needed for phone calls and sending texts.

@Ed404That is not correct.. without roaming you can still connect to either AT&T or TMobile. They query back to Public Mobile for what kind of service you can access. That's the reason why people complain getting service provisioned in the States is slower than a straight AT&T / TMobile SIM card. \

You do receive text from Public Mobile if you are in the States and connect to those 2 networks while roaming, it is unofficial and could be change any time.It is a side effect from being able to receive service text messages send from Public Mobile while you are in the States.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Roaming add-on isn't needed to receive texts when in the U.S.

Is that so? I Googled it and searched the community both said you would receive nothing.

Read this

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/USA-without-any-addons-Do-incoming-call...

@Ed404 wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

Yes.

Without a roaming add-on, you can only receive texts in the USA, but no sending texts, and no phone calls in or out.

You also can't change call forward settings while in the USA.

Without roaming you won't be connected to a network in the USA. So you won't receive any texts.

Roaming add-on isn't needed to receive texts when in the U.S.

Ed404

@Nezgar wrote:

Yes.

Without a roaming add-on, you can only receive texts in the USA, but no sending texts, and no phone calls in or out.

Without roaming you won't be connected to a network in the USA. So you won't receive any texts.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I have read elswhere here that without a roaming add-on, you can receive texts in the USA, but no sending texts, and no phone calls in or out. But then again, another post indicates incoming calls may work too. Smiley Frustrated

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

no, service while in usa if no roaming.    litle different than its main carrier brand.

Ed404

@BH28 wrote:

You won't receive anything.

Need Help? Let's chat.