cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Receiving calls from Mexico

vicgal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just posted a similar question. My friend actually called his carrier who was told that my number did not exist.

Did you ever resolve this?

13 REPLIES 13

vicgal

I'm thinking as well that the new area code is probably the issue.

Thanks for the interesting work-around.

Believe it or not, by friend does not have a smart phone (he is still using the 14 year old Nokia that I gave him), and doesn't want to use his time to get the smart phone working which was also given to him!!

As he hasn't even bothered to download Skype, I will just call him to his landline on Skype!! He's a good enough friend that the 1.1 cent a minute is not a problem... haha

@vicgal wrote:

My friend verified my phone number several times, we reviewed using +1 before the country code which is what I have used all the time using this carrier when calling Canada and the US from Mexico. On initial enquiry with his carrier, he was told that "this number did not exist". I have a relatively new area code "236" - would this impact the message he was given?

In any case, he will call the carrier again. With reduced hours because of Covid-19, and his working, this has been problematic!!

If this is still a problem, then it may be the area code. Others have had issues receiving calls to new area codes.

Here's a workaround: get the app from fongo.com, or textnow, and select a number with an old area code. Forward calls to your PM number and have your friend call the fongo number.

Alternatively, your friend gets a fongo number and calls you when he has wifi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

vicgal

I have been requested to respond as to whether this was resolved. Unfortunately, I cannot answer in the affirmative, so cannot say that there has been a solution.

Many thanks though for those who tried to help on this issue.

@Mossmyster wrote:

No I meant when you call long distance an operator recording usually states that long distance may apply.  Leading into another response that sometimes VPNs are the issue .  That it’s registering you in a different area that you actually are

VPNs have nothing do with phone calls placed over a regular cellular voice network. If the phone (or computer/tablet) is running a VPN that is tricking the website into thinking that the member is in a different region/different country, I can understand that causing problems for watching videos or accessing websites that only available in certain countries.  For this issue, the carrier is insisting that the outgoing phone number doesn't exist. A VPN doesn't cause that, even if the call is going over VoIP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vicgal wrote:

My friend verified my phone number several times, we reviewed using +1 before the country code which is what I have used all the time using this carrier when calling Canada and the US from Mexico. On initial enquiry with his carrier, he was told that "this number did not exist". I have a relatively new area code "236" - would this impact the message he was given?

In any case, he will call the carrier again. With reduced hours because of Covid-19, and his working, this has been problematic!!

Just to make it proper...in Mexico calling here..

00 to get international

1 to choose Canada

236-xxx-yyyy

+ can often be used instead of 00

vicgal

Mossmyster

Just referencing the automatic recording but actual informations for any rates or services if that clarifies it

Mossmyster

No I meant when you call long distance an operator recording usually states that long distance may apply.  Leading into another response that sometimes VPNs are the issue .  That it’s registering you in a different area that you actually are

@Mossmyster wrote:

Honestly it could be just that theychanged the number or he put in the number wrong or area code. Even for a long distance number, the standard rates apply message would come up as public mobile has no say it what number aractive they just dial it through

For the Public Mobile customer, there's no need to talk about rates. First, Public Mobile does not have any pay-per-use rates. Second, it never matters for an incoming call where the call is coming from.  As for any charges that might apply, that's between @vicgal's friend and the friend's carrier.

@vicgal wrote:

Thanks for your response.

His number is listed in my Contacts, so that is not the problem.

I will forward on your answer to him so he can contact his Mexican carrier. I do know that I have had that carrier in the past, and was able to call Canada.

To clarify, if the informaiton that your firend's carrier is accurate that their end shows your phone number as not active, this can't possibly be an issue with your phone's settings.

Even if you had your phone set to auto-reject calls from unknown numbers or even if you specifically block him from calling you, his call would still go to your voicemail and he would still be able to leave you a voice message.

Mossmyster

Honestly it could be just that theychanged the number or he put in the number wrong or area code. Even for a long distance number, the standard rates apply message would come up as public mobile has no say it what number aractive they just dial it through

vicgal

Thanks for your response.

His number is listed in my Contacts, so that is not the problem.

I will forward on your answer to him so he can contact his Mexican carrier. I do know that I have had that carrier in the past, and was able to call Canada.

@vicgal wrote:

Just posted a similar question. My friend actually called his carrier who was told that my number did not exist.

Did you ever resolve this?

Unforutnately, that's a matter that your friend is going to have to get fix at his carrier. That doesn't sound like something that Public Mobile can help with.  This sounds like a routing issue.

This original thread that you posted in appears to be about receiving calls form people who were not saved in the contact list. When someone calls from a number not saved in the contact list or if no number shows up, some phones are set to reject these phone calls.

edit:  I have sepearated your questions into a sepearate thread.

Need Help? Let's chat.