cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 1888 numbers not working

Nicole_tdk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please help. Trying to get hold of a 1 888 number (Toll free Canada number). I have the $50 plan (unlimited calling nation-wide). I even topped up my account with $5 to see if that works - it didn't and I have now wasted $5... I have also tried the 'lost/stolen phone' method and reactivated my phone and it did not work. 

Please can I ask for assistance urgently from someone at Public Mobile?

16 REPLIES 16

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

number worked for me also

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Hi. Thanks for this info. The company I am trying to call is the Immigration, Refugee Canada Centre. My Canadian public mobile number should be able to get through to them ... I am also calling from within Canada. 

This organization has set up the toll free number to only accept calls from Canadian phone numbers. Their system not properly categorizing your number as being from a Canadian city is on them. I would suggest trying Hangouts to make the call (requires an internet connection).

Another option would be to visit https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp to ask if there is a regular 10-digit dialing phone number that you can use. 

You could also change your phone number, likely to one of a different area code in the hopes that their system properly recoginizes it as being a Canadian number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Hi. Thanks for this info. The company I am trying to call is the Immigration, Refugee Canada Centre. My Canadian public mobile number should be able to get through to them ... I am also calling from within Canada. 

If you would be willing to share the area code and prefix of your number then maybe perhaps a fellow customer with the same could try it and see if they can get through. Not the last 4 digits. And only if you're willing to give a hint of possibly where you are generally. Understandable if not.

Nicole_tdk

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Hi. Also tried that and did not work. Tried now again just to make sure and the same automated voice comes on to say: "We're sorry. The toll free number you have dialled is not available in your area. SCV 11."

Some toll-free numbers have restrictions on who can call them (from where).  Since others have been able to call the number that you mentioned, they do accept calls from Canadian numbers.

The company that you are calling thinks that your number isn't from Canada. Unfortunatley, there isn't anything Public Mobile can do about this. This is an issue with the company that you're dealing with. That carrier needs to have their databases updated to reflected that your block of phone numbers is in Canada. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Thanks for your willingness to test. here is the number: 1 888 242 2100 . Please let me know if you get through?

I can call 1 888 242 2100 without any issue.

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Please help. Trying to get hold of a 1 888 number (Toll free Canada number). I have the $50 plan (unlimited calling nation-wide). I even topped up my account with $5 to see if that works - it didn't and I have now wasted $5... I have also tried the 'lost/stolen phone' method and reactivated my phone and it did not work. 

If you made a $5 top up, that money has not gone to waste. It will go towards paying for your next renewal.

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Still no luck in getting through... 

As suggested by @Anonymous ...you can download the free TextNow app and as long as you have wifi, you can make and receive free calls anywhere in North America.

I tried calling that number a couple of times without problem.

Can you call non-888 numbers still ?

If you have a $15 plan, maybe you've run outta calling minutes.

Nicole_tdk

Other 1 888 numbers work fine. It is just this one that seems to give me issues. 

Nicole_tdk

Still no luck in getting through... 

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Thanks for your willingness to test. here is the number: 1 888 242 2100 . Please let me know if you get through?

Try shutting down your phone...wait a moment...then restart it again. Redial.

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

Worked for me..but keep trying.

Nicole_tdk

Hi. Also tried that and did not work. Tried now again just to make sure and the same automated voice comes on to say: "We're sorry. The toll free number you have dialled is not available in your area. SCV 11."

Nicole_tdk

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Nicole_tdk wrote:

It's a longshot but try dialing without the 1...just start at 888...

Let us know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nicole_tdk 

Maybe install and run TextNow on your internet service and make that call until the toll free number can be sorted out.

If you're willing to share the number maybe we can test it. But if it would be too much to indicate your personal business then don't.

Need Help? Let's chat.