cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 10 day US roaming addon - expiry date AND time

sixthlawson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are all transaction on Public Mobile deemed to occur in eastern time?

I plan to purchase a U.S. Roaming package from Alberta at 10 PM MST today (Jan 26), however it will be 12am EST(Jan 27). Will my package expire on Feb 4 (which is 10 days from the 26th) OR will it expire on Feb 5 (which is 10 days from the 27)

Can anyone clarify when U.S. Roaming would expire under this scenario?

11 REPLIES 11

I acutally counted on my fingers, the number of midnights mid post of yours 🙂  

Doing that, MST midnight count was 10.  EST count was 11.

sixthlawson

As a follow up, I ended up purchasing the US Roaming package at ~18:00 MST on Jan 26 (which is 20:00 EST), and it lasted until my wife boarded the plane home on Feb 4th at ~23:00 MST (01:00 EST +1 day, so Feb 5 in EST). By my reckoning that would be just past the 10th midnight heading into the 11th 'midnight'. I anticipated it expiring at 21:59 MST on Feb 4 (23:59 EST on Feb 4), but my wife received a text at that time from PM stating it would expire on Feb 5. Have I messed up my counting?

Either way, my wife had a fully functioning roaming plan for the entire duration of her trip, which is awesome.

What date do you get when you count 10 EST-midnights from 18:00 MST on Jan 26? 10 midnights or 11? Something else?

Thanks Everyone!

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Think of this way. 

You buy the plan. Now you start count the number of times the clock strikes midnight. When you get to 10, the plan runs out. So there is a big difference if you but just before or after midnight

The whole thing about Eastern time zone may also apply, but I really cannot comment on that. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sixthlawson  you are letting her go to hawaii by herself, while you stay in the cold,   party at your place:)

sixthlawson

Thanks everyone, great tips. 

I'm activating for my wife who's in the air right now and she doesn't know about the dial to activate option... So I think I'll activate for when she lands in case she needs to communicate in order to get where she needs to go on arrival. 

wrote:

You could always buy it when I. The USA by calling 18554public as long as you know your pin and you have a cc onfile

I can't speak from personal experience but I would use @mimmo's approach to be on the safe side.

Assuming that you have Canadian service and/or WiFi at the airport and also considering that you likely can't use your cell service in the air (depending on your flight) I would take the according steps in your self serve account before heading to the airport but activate the add-on(s) via 1-855-4PUBLIC once you are at your destination.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sixthlawson, there might be no way around it - system limitation.  Some people might benefit from the way it is calculated, and others might be disadvantaged.

sixthlawson

Ok, so it sounds like the date of purchase is dependent on the date in the time zone you are in at the moment of purchase. So if I buy the roaming package when it is Jan 26 in Alberta but Jan 27 in Ontario, it will expire 10 days from the date of purchase as of the moment of purchase in Alberta (I.e Jan 26). This may seem trivial but I’m buying U.S. roaming for Hawaii which is problematic because of the eastern time expiry being equivalent to 7pm in Hawaii but need it to last at least until 9pm.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You could always buy it when I. The USA by calling 18554public as long as you know your pin and you have a cc onfile

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

You have 10 calendar days from the date of purchase expiring at midnight on the 10th Day Eastern Time

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Good question; someone out west likely knows. @srlawren @wetcoaster @ShawnC13

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.