cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Visiting France

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am going to France next month and wondered if our phones will work there. I don't see any roaming add ons other then USA. Please help

7 REPLIES 7

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Also look at VoIP.ms and use an app called Zoiper. Check out what phone numbers that VoIP.ms will give you. Use with wifi or a cheap data plan as mentioned. 

Also do have heard most European plans have free incoming calls? Check them out before you leave. Also have seem SIMs sold in airports. 

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Primary carriers in France are Free, SFR, Bouygues Telecom, and Orange.  I'll offer some advice on the carriers there instead since everyone already suggested to use VoIP apps and wifi.

I have no experience with any of them, aside from service and coverage (I was travelling in both UK and FR and EU roaming is free so I just used O2-UK because that's where I landed first), but I heard that Free is probably the cheapest (no experience at all as roaming on Free was the only network that wasn't permitted by O2) that you can find.  

Coverage is decent, all of them are alright, but if I had to choose the better one on coverage, would be Bouygues.  There's also coverage in RATP (subway), but some stations will result "No Service" or Edge (2G) coverage only.

Plans start at 2 Euros (Free is the cheapest but comes with almost no data).  I saw Bouygues has a visitor's plan for €39.90, but is quite expensive so just find some suitable prepaid SIM.  They might have MVNOs, not sure about them as I just visited for three days...

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I heard france had ridiculously cheap plans, 15g of data with unlimited North America for 15 euros. Talk to family or friends who went there or go to forums where you can get advice.

just install fongo so people from canada can reach you.

You can move to 10 plan while away, or let your plan expire up to90 days, don't forget to login and renew before you lose your acount

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mountainmaxman You may need to get an internaltional SIM card. Check out AOW if it meets your need.

https://alwaysonlinewireless.com/?utm_source=roammobility.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=AOW%20...

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can also use the VoIP apps on data, of course, if you get a prepaid SIM card in France. I'd suggest Fongo for VoIP apps, as well, which gives you an actual Canadian number that your friends/family can call while you're away.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman wrote:

I am going to France next month and wondered if our phones will work there. I don't see any roaming add ons other then USA. Please help

@Mountainmaxman  Unfortunately your phone will not work there. Best to purchase a local prepaid sim card. If you have Google Hangouts Dialer you can use it with Wi-Fi to make calls to anywhere in NA for free.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

No roaming options for France or any other country besides USA. Suggest getting a local sim card.

Look into free voip apps like maybe TextNow.

Safe travels.

Need Help? Let's chat.