cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS Support?

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Google Messages just released a stable beta update for their messages app to allow for RCS. It tells me my carrier doesn't support the option. Is this something that can be enabled by Public Mobile fairly cheaply and easily? or is this simply not going to happen? 

13 REPLIES 13

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@Tav wrote:

RCS now enabled on my phone! Woot woot!

Now it went away somehow...

Did it work on Public Mobile service?

The reason why it showed up temporarily is because you messages app was updated.

@Tav wrote:

@Tav wrote:

Did it work on Public Mobile service?

@Tav wrote:

@Tav wrote:

Telus supports RCS for Pixel 2 and 3 models only. They will be rolling it out for the original Pixels next.

Tav

@Tav wrote:

Tav

@GibsonSGJ wrote:

Well this is a pleasant surprise!

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/21/google-rcs-chat-rolling-out-telus-network/

It's not yet working on my Pixel 3, but it's probably a gradual rollout.

Good news indeed. Can't wait, and kudos to Telus fro stepping up and doing the right thing!.Smiley Happy

GibsonSGJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well this is a pleasant surprise!

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/21/google-rcs-chat-rolling-out-telus-network/

It's not yet working on my Pixel 3, but it's probably a gradual rollout.

Why expect the Big 3 not to bend over when the head of the CRTC still is the major business owner/chairman/whatever of TELUS, one of the Big 3?

Until the head of the CRTC is not paid by any of the telecoms, there will never be a chance of change for the consumer.

GibsonSGJ

That an unfortunate result of the lack of real competition in Canada. We see the appearance of competition, but everything is owned by two or three major carriers who I'm sure are not interested in over competing with each other and driving prices down.

The CRTC needs to stop bending over for the big carriers and open the flood gates for true free-market competition, even if it means allowing competitors from outside Canada.

Competition is not only a win for the customer in the sense that prices will drop. It also drives innovation.

I have quite a few friends in the Google circle and it's depressing to hear about the data plans they have and what they pay for them south of the border.

bridonca

Let us stick with Nope! 

Telus is never is in a hurry for implimenting the latest thing, especially if there is no money in it for them.  I know my Koodo phone does not support it.

GibsonSGJ

If you open Google's "Messages" app (stock on Pixel phones and available to other devices), under settings you'll find a "chat features" option. This is where the option to turn on/off RCS is located. Unfortunately, although Google is taking the implementation into their own hands, your service provider still has to support it. Just tap on the "learn more" link that you'll inevitably find by navigating to the chat features menu while connected to public mobile. Considering we still don't have visual voicemail, I don't imagine we'll see this anytime soon. This is why apps like Whatsapp exist. When comparing service for price with American carriers, I don't think it's an exaggeration that Canadian carriers are nearly 5 years behind the markets Google is designing for. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tav wrote:

Google Messages just released a stable beta update for their messages app to allow for RCS. It tells me my carrier doesn't support the option. Is this something that can be enabled by Public Mobile fairly cheaply and easily? or is this simply not going to happen? 

Google has rolled this out in the UK and have announced that they will make it available in North America with or without the providers support. So the answer is yes it will be available by your provider or Google.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Tav  hi this is a post I found from one our great oracles 

will13am

Oracle

Re: RCS Support and New Features

My guess is RCS could migrate here once a full implementation is done at the Telus and Koodo brands.  WiFi calling may be a much harder nut to crack.  Looking at the rollout in the other brands, it seems like the feature needs certain software capability at the system level, not quite as simple as installing an app.  The rollout is not univeral even at Telus, only certain models of phones are supported. 

Need Help? Let's chat.