cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions re old $10 plan

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For the old $10 plan (i.e. 50 Can-wide minutes, 50 text), I have a few questions:

1. Are incoming calls considered the same as outgoing calls? That is, whether a call is incoming or outcoming, it gets subtracted from the allotted 50 Can-wide minutes?

2. Under the "usage history" section on my account, how do I know if a call uses up minutes from the allotted 50 Can-wide minutes, or uses up minutes from add-ons?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

@Anonymous 

Found it on the samsung in the 3 dots top right. I have yet to find it on the moto g....... 

@Nezgar 

Thats like my flip phone....

thx both of you....

@darlicious on my BlackBerry keyone which uses the stock android "messages" app - I hold down on the send button, and the option to add a subject pops up. (And the send indicator changes from "SMS" to "MMS" under the paper airplane icon)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

How do you add a subject? I always just add a picture to make it a MMS. Or if its a long text it just automatically switches to an MMS text.

@darlicious 

Assuming you're using the stock texting app on your Samsung, click on the little + next to the text entry box and one of the choices will be Subject. That's one way anyway.

@Nezgar 

How do you add a subject? I always just add a picture to make it a MMS. Or if its a long text it just automatically switches to an MMS text.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

That's interesting if incoming calls "from" tollfree numbers don't use minutes on the $10 plan... there could be some creative call forwarding done to ensure a TF number is presented for certain calls... 🙂

Also, I read elsewhere that MMS messages do not deduct from the 50 texts bucket - all you need to do is add a subject for instance to make it send as MMS.

Lastly, if you use a free 3rd party voicemail service like YouMail, you never need to dial in to hear your messages as they will be emailed to you as sound file attachments instead. 20 per month will even include text transcription. Only involves changing the three conditional forwards to the number they provide. (busy,no answer,offline)

You can have those emails sent to you via MMS as well so you don't need data to receive. Use this format: 1234567890@mms.mb.telus.com

cin7
Would you happen to know of the specific voicemail menu options? What number do I press to get to "fast prompts"?

cin7
Good to know re toll-free numbers not counting towards 50 min - thanks!

cin7
Thanks for the tip re text msg!

@cin7 

Remember that you can access your voicemail from any phone - just dial your own phone number and enter your PIN - so checking your messages won't cost minutes off your number.

You can also navigate through the menu options to "fast prompts" so less time needs to be spent listening to computer babble each time you call your voicemail.

Also be aware that each 160-character segment in a long text message will be counted as a separate text. No need to be terse because you can still say a lot within 160 characters - and your keyboard app or SMS app probably has an onscreen counter - but sending and receiving lengthy conversational paragraphs will consume your 50 texts very quickly. Messages from PM are always free.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cin7 

The $10 plan has

• - 50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts
  • - 50 minutes of Canada-wide Talk (i.e. incoming and outgoing will consume the 50 minutes)
  • Calling toll-free number does not use your 50 minutes.  I also found out that if someone call me from a toll-free number, the minutes do not count against the 50 minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cin7 wrote:

For the old $10 plan (i.e. 50 Can-wide minutes, 50 text), I have a few questions:

1. Are incoming calls considered the same as outgoing calls? That is, whether a call is incoming or outcoming, it gets subtracted from the allotted 50 Can-wide minutes?

2. Under the "usage history" section on my account, how do I know if a call uses up minutes from the allotted 50 Can-wide minutes, or uses up minutes from add-ons?

Thanks!

1. Yes.

2. If you don't see the 50 minutes counter on the overview page then you seamlessly switch over to consuming any add-on minutes. There's no way to know from the details.

Edit: a little late - oh I know what I can add...you'll get a text saying you have 10 minutes left of the 50 minutes.

@cin7 wrote:

Incoming and outgoing calls will use those 50 minutes. Plan minutes are always used first.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

1 - Yes.

2 - System always uses your plan minutes first. Once all used then your add-on kicks in. You can't tell under usage. Just now and then log in and check how many minutes you have left for you 50 minutes. When you're at 49 of 50 then you'll know after another minute it will be using your add-on. As system always uses plan minutes before add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.