cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about US add on

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi all,

My wife and daughter will be making a 10-day trip to Florida later this month. Both are technologically challenged, so I manage their Public Mobile accounts. I have a couple of questions about US addons:

1. I plan to purchase the US Talk, Text, Data bundle (250 mb). That much data won't cut it, so can I also purchase the 1 GB data add-on at the time of purchase, or do I have to wait for the 250 mb to expire.

2. I realize that once I purchase the 1 GB data addon, that I can't purchase the same addon within the same 10-day period. So, can I purchase the US Talk, Text, Data plan AND a 1 GB add-on and a 500mb add-on all on the first day of her trip.

3. This question is just out of curiousity, and I think I already know the answer. My wife and daughter are on 3g data plans. Will their US data speeds also be 3g while roaming?

4. Are there any issues that I should be aware of, for example, will they need to manually select a network once in the US? If so, which netword? They both use iPhone 8.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

GC

18 REPLIES 18

GreatCanadian

@srlawren lol, great jab at Apple maps!! I'm a Android/Google guy myself!

Their US add-on actually expired midnight of the 2nd/3rd. They flew back on the 3rd, arriving in Toronto about 2:30 PM.

GC

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GreatCanadian wrote:

Just an update:

My wife and daughter just returned from their 10 day trip to the US. I purchased the US add-ons for them while they were in the air. Upon landing in the US, they turned on their phones and texted me. My wife used her data with Apple maps to find their hotel. ZERO issues. On their return, when they landed in Toronto again their phones worked flawlessly. ZERO issues. I had read about some users whose texting wouldn't work for a while after returning from the US and having a US add-on. Happy to say it all worked perfectly. Thanks Public Mobile!! And thanks to all of you who answered my many mundane questions on this issue prior to their trip! Bravos to you all!!

GC

@GreatCanadian the most remarkable thing here is....that they had zero issues after using Apple Maps to navigate!  😉  J/k j/k I know they fixed it.  Still, couldn't resist the jab.  😉

About the texting: I'm not sure of the timing of when you bought the us roaming addons, but I can say that what happens is that at the end of the 10th day (with day 1 being the day they flew and you bought the add-ons), at around midnight eastern time, the add-on expires; however, it can take up to around 24 hours for the expired add-on--though invisible in self-serve account--to actually remove itself from the account.  What this means is until it does so (gets properly removed), that line will not receive any incoming SMS text messages.  Outbound will be fine, but incoming not work at all.  Even once the add-on is removed competely, any messages that were sent to the line during that time are completely lost forever, so you may not even ever know you misssed some.

If you're concerned, what I'd suggest is that if they are back in Canada now and you are on the 10th day or sooner, send a private message to the moderator team and ask them to remove the add-on manually from the account, which will prevent the issue from happening (if today is your 10th day or sooner) or resolve it immediately (if today is the 11th day and it hasn't self-corrected yet).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1

@GreatCanadian: Yay!!! Great to hear! 🙂

GreatCanadian

Just an update:

My wife and daughter just returned from their 10 day trip to the US. I purchased the US add-ons for them while they were in the air. Upon landing in the US, they turned on their phones and texted me. My wife used her data with Apple maps to find their hotel. ZERO issues. On their return, when they landed in Toronto again their phones worked flawlessly. ZERO issues. I had read about some users whose texting wouldn't work for a while after returning from the US and having a US add-on. Happy to say it all worked perfectly. Thanks Public Mobile!! And thanks to all of you who answered my many mundane questions on this issue prior to their trip! Bravos to you all!!

GC

srlawren

@GreatCanadian no problem.  I can personally confirm that the combination of the $15 talk+text US Roaming add on and the $20 1GB US Roaming add-on work fine together.  I've used it on at least two occasions (5 day trip to Portland and a 7 day trip to Manhattan).  OH, in fact, that's the example I used in my HOWTO: Purchasing Add-ons guide.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GreatCanadian

@srlawren, looks like you were right!! Bravo!!

GC

GreatCanadian

@srlawren, that is a good thought. However, I was under the impression that I couldn't add a data block unless I purchased an add-on that already included data. I'll read through the FAQs again. Perhaps I'm wrong.

GC

srlawren

@GreatCanadian yes you will get the full 10th day, May 2nd.  I believe the only caveat is that it will end at midnight Eastern time at end of May 2nd, regardless of what time zone you are in at the time.

How much data do you anticpiate them actually needing?  It might be overkill to buy the $20 talk+text+250mb bundle and then add the $20 1GB data on top of that for a total of $40.  If you anticipate them needing up to but not more than 1GB total (approx 100mb/day), then you'd be better off to buy the $15 talk+text bundle and also the $20 1GB data for a total of $35.  Just a thought.

GreatCanadian

And I would assume that is at midnight of May 2, not 12:00 AM the morning of May second. Correct?

koimr1

Yes, that is a trickier one because the add-on starts immediately after purchase and includes that day so in your situation it will end on May 2.

@CS_Agent: Can you clarify the options for @GreatCanadian here?

GreatCanadian

As I suspected! Thanks @Luddite.

@GreatCanadian wrote:

I do have one more question. I only just now realized that the dates of the trip are April 23 to May 3. April 23rd plus 10 days = May 3rd. But if you include April 23rd, the 10 days ends on May 2. So, will she be out of data at days end on May 2nd or May 3rd.  If it uses the date I'm thinking that it will end on May 2. But if it uses ten 24 hour periods it will end on May 3. Thanks again!!

GC

Sorry, it's May 2. Apr 23 counts as day 1. Robot Frustrated

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

GreatCanadian

I do have one more question. I only just now realized that the dates of the trip are April 23 to May 3. April 23rd plus 10 days = May 3rd. But if you include April 23rd, the 10 days ends on May 2. So, will she be out of data at days end on May 2nd or May 3rd.  If it uses the date I'm thinking that it will end on May 2. But if it uses ten 24 hour periods it will end on May 3. Thanks again!!

GC

GreatCanadian

Thanks for the info!! 

GC

koimr1

I realize the links don't answer the 3G question - I don't know what you'll get, hopefully someone else will be able to answer that.

For selecting a network once down there - no, you (or they) shouldn't have to do anything as long as roaming is enabled as per the first link I provided.

A little caveat: In your mobile network settings make sure you're set to "automatic" network selection instead of explicitly choosing a provider. If you have no idea what I mean by that then you're likely already good to go as that's the default. 🙂

I was in the US in February and everything worked just fine, hooked up to AT&T right at the airport automagically. 🙂

koimr1

Hi @GreatCanadian!

This should answer your questions:

Learn all about US Roaming

Take a look at the "I need more than 1GB of data while roaming. What do I do?" FAQ question.

Hope they have a good trip!

EDIT: Some more info: Can I add on two 1 GB USA roaming data?

GreatCanadian

Huh?? No I don't. This is not something to bother moderators with. It's not regarding an issue or a problem. It's just a few simple questions that others who have used US addons may be able to help me with. I wouldn't waste moderators' time with this.

GC

Anonymous
Not applicable

you need To send a private message to a moderator click this link.

In your message put it, please include.

- your account number

- your phone number 

- your account PIN

email address on your account

- Detailed explanation of specific your issue

- them can help you a lot nice service Team

Good Luck

Need Help? Let's chat.