cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about add on minutes

Jenntb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm just waiting to confirm I am understanding this correctly. If I add 500 minutes for $5 to my son's plan, those don't expire, correct?

15 REPLIES 15

Jenntb

Thank you for the suggestions! At this point, we try to discourage our kids from using devices, but we encourage them to go call on their friends! I know it will come with time, but trying to delay that part of life until they insist it's 'necessary'. Basically the phone is we can communicate when he's home alone or has a practice after school. I definitely don't want him to have data, totally unnecessary for him at this point. 

Ideally, we would have a home phone and he could use the office phone at the school, but this makes most sense (even financially!) at this time in society haha

You have already activated the phone I take it otherwise I have another suggestion for you.  The $10 plan is the bare minimum. The $15 plan is a better option. It is likely he would be mostly texting his friends so having unlimited texts is the most ideal option. With Auto pay it reduces it to $13 and gives a bonus of 250mb of data good for using Google maps and other useful apps that don't use a lot of data but important to have the data saver, tracker enabled and you can advise him to keep the mobile data off when away from WiFi and only turn it on when he needs to use it. Since you will be managing the account you can monitor the outgoing call usage to determine if you want the add on and it when you think it's necessary at anytime during the cycle but it is good insurance. He may take a whole year to use up the extra minutes. You may also want to disable the voicemail by putting it on extended absence ( look for this in the search bar using keywords). Have your son leave a voice message asking people to text or try later as he is only taking incoming calls. This prevents him from wasting outgoing call minutes checking voicemails. He might even encourage his other friends to have their parents check out pm and he can give out the referral number for them to use and reduce the bill even more.

Sounds like the $10 plan is the perfect starter option then. Once you establish a pattern, you can always upgrade later...if needed.

Jenntb

I may switch him to that... I just have no clue how much he will use this. We don't allow much screens, so i think he may forget he has a phone, he's not used to it.

Don't forget to set up Autopay so he gets $2 discount so plan would be $8 😁

Also if you're with PM make sure you use your referral code and he will get a $10 credit. 

@Jenntb wrote:

There is no such option for texting, correct? Like if he texts 50 messages before his 30 days is up?

@Jenntb  Correct. If he uses more than 50 texts best to move up to the $15 plan that obliges unlimited texting.

Have a peek at the $15 plan for unlimited texting.

@JenntbThere is no texting add ons.

@Jenntb wrote:

Perfect, thank you. This is his first phone, and so he just has $10 plan. I won't add extras on until I see how many he actually uses.

With the 500 minute / $5 add-on...that's a great addition to his plan.

Good luck and welcome to PM.

Jenntb

There is no such option for texting, correct? Like if he texts 50 messages before his 30 days is up?

Jenntb

Perfect, thank you. This is his first phone, and so he just has $10 plan. I won't add extras on until I see how many he actually uses.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jenntb wrote:

I'm just waiting to confirm I am understanding this correctly. If I add 500 minutes for $5 to my son's plan, those don't expire, correct?

@Jenntb  Correct, the minutes remain on the account until all used up. The minutes will only be used up when plan minutes have been used up.

They will roll over each month until they run out. Great insurance for $5. Only 1cent a minute. You can't buy anything for a penny nowadays except at public mobile.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@JenntbThey don't expire and they only get used when your son's plan is out of minutes for that month and require to dip into the store.. so it is only kicks in at plans that don't have unlimited calling.. ie the $10 / $15 plans.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Correct...long as your base plan stays active.

Need Help? Let's chat.