cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a plan for trip into the USA

lefty4666
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The border may open on Nov 8th and we plan to visit our son and his wife for the first time in 18 months+ for two weeks, Nov 15 to Dec 1st. Is there a PM plan which will permit calls from my cell to my wife's cell(She is working on an add on from Virgin) while we are both in the USA? What about calls to and from my US son's phones and daughter in law's phones to and from my cell while we are all in the USA? What about calls to and from other USA numbers while we are in the USA? What about phone calls back to our Ontario son's phones or from his phones to my cell while we are in the USA and he is in Canada? What about calls to and from from other Ontario numbers while we are in the USA? Same set of questions but text messages this time. Don't need or want data.

16 REPLIES 16

There are 2 options to pay. 

1. For amount due

2. For amount other than what is due. 

Use option 2. 

@TerriRose wrote:

I am on autopay.  How do I top up my account so that I can purchase a 10 day plan when I enter the USA?

@TerriRose 

t_p_0-1635185350079.png

Make whatever payment you need to cover the costs of eventual add-ons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TerriRose wrote:

I am on autopay.  How do I top up my account so that I can purchase a 10 day plan when I enter the USA?

@TerriRose 

yes when you enter the USA then Purchase,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account,

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link.

enjoy your trip...

TerriRose
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@hairbag1 wrote:

@barrascuk...like you, I use an iphone and don't get incoming texts without the add-on while in US.

An inexpensive alternative is to get free voip app like TextNow for use while in US. It works using free wifi and you can call / text most any number in Canada and USA. For a quick weekend trip...works fine and no need for the PM add-ons.

We've used TextNow extensively whilst in Mexico as well....works like a champ.

Thanks. I try to stay away from apps to phone or text from. I and you could change the iPhone and turn off iMessage.....but I am not interested in doing and undoing. And if TextNow only works on wifi, which makes sense, then iMessages should come through on free wifi...and Mexico.....even though my MIL has a condo for us to use free....been there...done that.....caught an unknown bug in Rincon de Guayabitos and put me to sleep for 2/3's of my day for 6 months.....and many tests run on my body with no diagnosis. 

@barrascuk...like you, I use an iphone and don't get incoming texts without the add-on while in US.

An inexpensive alternative is to get free voip app like TextNow for use while in US. It works using free wifi and you can call / text most any number in Canada and USA. For a quick weekend trip...works fine and no need for the PM add-ons.

We've used TextNow extensively whilst in Mexico as well....works like a champ.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hairbag1 

Thanks for the timing to re order. I guess why I ask....for me I would  only buy a calling only add-on. I can live without texting or data.  And if inbound texting works (for android but not likely iPhone).....I can always call back. I have an iPhone so would only likely receive a text while using free wifi. Also Home Depot in both Canada and USA have free too. And I think Macy's, Starbucks and Kohls do too.

@barrascuk...I've used the 10 day roaming add-on in the past (pre covid). I usually buy it at the first mall along the US road...Walmart usually has free wifi and I buy the add-on then.

It's a given that the 10 days start as soon as you buy so 10 X 24 hours later is when it expires.

To get it again, wait until midnight that evening to re-up....OR...get a CSA to manually add the add-on for you.

I've not run into problems using the Safari browser while in USA. Drop in to Walmart and use their free wifi. Alot of cafes, malls, motels have free wifi...you might just have to ask for the password sometimes. Park close to local library...they usually have open / free wifi there too.

Remember that US add-on counter starts asap as you buy it.

barrascuk

And don't forget to leave a balance on your account before you leave. 

barrascuk

@Triguy wrote:

You want to consider https://www.mintmobile.com.

Good idea as is Tracfone. But I imagine with the PM USA plans it is worth it to be able to "use phone as usual" without any phone number changes. And "where is" my PM SIM card hassle when I get back home?

I assume the OP would buy the add on when just leaving Canada but one thing I have always wondered about.....once your 10 days is up......how soon can you buy another USA add-on?

Day Before Expiry

Day of Expiry

Day after Expiry 

And where would you find what date and time expiry occurs? Based on what time zone?

And where do you buy another add-on....an internet cafe? Bum data off of a HotSpot? And how good/poor is it to buy one using a browser on your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lefty4666 

when you visit USA then Purchase Add-Ons is will be start right away

for US Roaming 10 day packages,

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account,

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!
  5. after you Add-on you have to do Rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Overview Of Add-Ons visit Here link.

enjoy your trip...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You want to consider https://www.mintmobile.com.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lefty4666  yes the various USA add-ons are for 10 day periods and start when purchased.

Typically there is a renewal issue with the add-ons ie you have to wait a day to be able to purchase the second same add-on.

It actually might be easier to forward your calls to a VoIP like fongo, and just buy a local sim card while you are there.

Edit fixed typo

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@lefty4666..for $15, you can get 10 Days US Roaming Add-on. Allows you to call and text most any US number as well as call home. It's only for 10 days at a time. After your 10 days (10 X 24 hours), you can get it again.

Alternative is to get free voip app like TextNow.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@lefty4666 

Check out the US roaming packages here:

Plans (publicmobile.ca) > Add-ons > 

US Roaming

10 day packages

Edit: As noted in other posts, if you have easy access to free wifi, it's good to have a free voip app to supplement your phone plans. Textnow is free and have unlimited voice and texts in Canada and US.
Need Help? Let's chat.