Petro Canada starts at $15 unlimited text
Fido starts at $15.75 unlimited text
Sasktel starts at $15 unlimited text
Speakout starts at $20 unlimited text
Telus starts at $22 unlimited text
Citifone starts at $22.50 unlimited text

Bell starts at $15 unlimited text

Rogers starts at $15 unlimited text
Public mobile starts at $25 ($20 in BYOP but 0 voice and unable to add-on minutes, this $20 is more like public mobile punishing you, you are not allowed to buy minutes)  "Long Distance Add-Ons require a monthly talk feature on the rate plan."

Where is the "competitive response" ? I love you PM but It's time to get serious and add a $15 plan. Or at least a sms add-on. Please. @Alan_K @Brooke_C

25 REPLIES 25

If I were to subscribe today, I’d seriously consider the a data only plan from another provider, and use paid Fongo for texting and voice calls.

i am on day 29/90, I’m at 770 mb/12288 mb LTE, and most of my sms and calling is Provincial, more specifically local, and long distance cost can be covered via the Fongo, or what’s app or various other apps with a small fee or even just using hangouts.

For my needs, leaving a voicemail on a reliable service is kept, and making voice calls is more important than SMS.  I use data sparingly as you can see, and I’ve been on WiFi most of these 29 days due to holiday and vacation time.

Im still on a great plan, but if the right deal comes along, I will go elsewhere if it’s a better deal for my wallet.

ColdWinters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Alternatively you could use your data and Download WhatsApp.  I rarely even consider texting anymore but data is KING.  This doesn't really solve your problem but it is a good alternative, and WhatsApp is secure.

Wind is a terrible provider which is why they offer so much for $15.

I'd rather go to the dentist than be with wind mobile.

The thing I would like to see fixed is public mobile is pretty much the worst choice for a customer who wants unlimited text that uses very little voice (these people exists), I can market PM to everyone else but I can't bring those people over, or the snow birds.

SMS add-on or plans in the $10-15 unlimted text plans (that allow voice/data add-on) and a monthly us roaming and I would be able to bring anyone and everyone over.

I have to agree, although I was with WIND, and they’ve upgraded their service in my community (we have post secondary education here, it’s booming) the limitations outside of the City limits are frustrating, and spotty at best.

reliability is best.  However, saying that, it truly depends on where you are.  Subway riders in Toronto have great underground coverage from Freedom.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

i know i was trying to get a few of family members to switch but when they showed me the freedom offer, $15 buys you unlimited incoming, unlimited sms, 100 minutes of dialout, and 0.25g on lte and after that you're not cut off but slowed down, i didn't have any arguments against

would be really nice if pm had something similar, even witout data i would have two converts instantly

PM has better signal.  It is no point to get a cheap service and you don't get any signal when you need the service the most.  No roaming charge on highway etc.

Agree with popping. Freedom is useless to me out in rural BC. Telus/Bell no problem. Roaming on Rogers...no thanks.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kselmak wrote:

i know i was trying to get a few of family members to switch but when they showed me the freedom offer, $15 buys you unlimited incoming, unlimited sms, 100 minutes of dialout, and 0.25g on lte and after that you're not cut off but slowed down, i didn't have any arguments against

would be really nice if pm had something similar, even witout data i would have two converts instantly

PM has better signal.  It is no point to get a cheap service and you don't get any signal when you need the service the most.  No roaming charge on highway etc.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

As the regulars here would have already read...I'm fine with the $10 plan for my needs. I think it would be good to offer a texting add-on that you buy once and use up over time. I would buy that.

As for those followers not leading comments about competitive responses I agree with @RobertQc. (there's your tag RobertQc 🙂 ) I think a promo that pulls back 50 Canada-wide to unlimited province and then increases texting to unlimited would use the systems they already have and I say $10 for that. That's a promo I would go for. Or dust off the system for limited geography texting. I'd go with that too. Province-wide or Canada-wide. Somebody in France wants to text me tough noogies.

Edit: And in my case, Freedom only roams on Rogers so they're of no interest to me as Rogers isn't all that great where I am. So I'm really only with Telus/Bell and derivatives.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I am sure PM has done their research and found a plan that is competitively priced for what it offers when you combine both services yet is still a profitable plan for them.  If they were to goe 50 or 100 min calling and unlimited texting they would have so many move from higher valued plans.  The 50/50 plan  is a targeted plan for minimalists or as an emergency phone only it really isn't designed for a day to day use.

@ShawnC13Right. So essentially public mobile would lose money by offering something awesome. I don't want PM to lose money, but at the same time everyone else offers something they do not, so I am expecting HOPING PM to say "As a competitive response" and close this gap 😉

But as @mimmo pointed out those plans don't have talk and when they do it is at around the $25 mark and it isn't unlimited calling like it is with PM

@ShawnC13I am not asking for unlimited talk. I am suggesting a $15 plan, which could include 50min/unlimited text. Or even 0min/unlimited text but allow us the option of purchasing a LD add-on. currently, LD add-on must be combined on a plan that already has talk so even if you buy the $20 unlimited text plan, its impossible to buy /add voice minutes.

Those plans are NOT around the $25 mark. When you buy add-on minutes they do not expire. You could buy the $15 plan, and 1 add on per year, making it $15 per month, except once a year its $25.

Koodo $15 unlimited text plan, add minutes for $10 and "Any unused minutes, text or data will be carried over when you renew your base plan.."

@RobertQc wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I am sure PM has done their research and found a plan that is competitively priced for what it offers when you combine both services yet is still a profitable plan for them.  If they were to goe 50 or 100 min calling and unlimited texting they would have so many move from higher valued plans.  The 50/50 plan  is a targeted plan for minimalists or as an emergency phone only it really isn't designed for a day to day use.

@ShawnC13Right. So essentially public mobile would lose money by offering something awesome. I don't want PM to lose money, but at the same time everyone else offers something they do not, so I am expecting HOPING PM to say "As a competitive response" and close this gap 😉

But as @mimmo pointed out those plans don't have talk and when they do it is at around the $25 mark and it isn't unlimited calling like it is with PM

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@mimmo wrote:

@RobertQc  lets forget teh $20 PM texting plan. 

PM starts at $25 unlimited talk and text

freedom I didn not see any texting only plans

Koodo prepaid: $15 + $10 booster for $100 minutes or $20 (250 minutes) or $30 (600 minutes)

virgin prepaid: $15 + $.40 /minute $10= 25 minutes) 

petro canda $15 (includes 25 minutes) additional 100min for $5

fido prepaid  $15.75 +.30/minute  ($10 =33 minutes)

(i just picked soem from your list at random)

@RobertQc  you are absolutly right there are some decent plans out there for texting primary.  but it is also very easy to get to $25.  so for the extra$5-$10 I would take the unlimted calling option all day long.    and lets not forget about various rewards with pm.

Who knows the bosses at PM might see this thread and create a new $15 tier , but in the mean time vote with wallet

@mimmoKoodo minutes never expire. So that $10 booster could last indefinitly

Freedom mobile is AMAZING for $15 per month, UNLIMITED TEXT, 100 MINUTES + 250MB!!!! As long as you activate with the promo "Digital Discount" and use autopay its only $15 a month vs PM $25 at $23 autopay. I know apples and oranges, but still you can get unlimited text for $15 a month not worrying about comparing the talk/data and what is worth what.

freedom.png

While the PAYG minutes could end up being expensive for some of them, its still completely up to the users choice to use them, or not. They have the option of having it cheaper, either by not using it, wifi calling or saving those minutes. PM gives you no option.

mimmo

@RobertQc  lets forget teh $20 PM texting plan. 

PM starts at $25 unlimited talk and text

freedom I didn not see any texting only plans

Koodo prepaid: $15 + $10 booster for $100 minutes or $20 (250 minutes) or $30 (600 minutes)

virgin prepaid: $15 + $.40 /minute $10= 25 minutes) 

petro canda $15 (includes 25 minutes) additional 100min for $5

fido prepaid  $15.75 +.30/minute  ($10 =33 minutes)

(i just picked soem from your list at random)

@RobertQc  you are absolutly right there are some decent plans out there for texting primary.  but it is also very easy to get to $25.  so for the extra$5-$10 I would take the unlimted calling option all day long.    and lets not forget about various rewards with pm.

Who knows the bosses at PM might see this thread and create a new $15 tier , but in the mean time vote with wallet

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I would like to read more about promos that start with AS A COMPETITIVE INTIATIVE we are offering this ...... and see Chatr and Lucky respond to that.  PM was an industry leader and other providers had to respond to the promos here.  Will we ever see those days again?

@mimmo@ShawnC13 sais this better then me. This touches more on what I mean. Public mobile is not the leader, they are not even trying in the SMS world they are in last place. Not only is there a lack of competitive initiave, but they do not even have a competitive response and we are talking long term here. It seems to be completely ignored although I see the $15/Unlimited SMS discussion often yet nothing changes but they have been wording select promotions as "competitive responses" since at least 2017

@mimmo wrote:

Better yet make others respond to PM's promos.

Just like you said, but they are not even responding to others here.

@will13am wrote:

Looking forward to the next competitive response from Public Mobile...

@will13am Right but why can't it be SMS for a change!?

@RobertQc wrote:

PM has been jumping on the "competitive response" band wagon like its going out of style, yet they do nothing comparable to the low price options of other cell phone providers regarding unlimited sms base plans.

This competitive response schtick is really annoying.  It's like we can't do anything on our own, so let's just follow others' lead.  You've probably seen my past posts about antiquated SMS.  Perhaps the marketing department thinks like me that it's not an important area to target.  Give me the first gig for $10 or less and I would be all over it even if it comes without a single SMS.  You see how hard it is to please the entire fickle market?  

@mimmo wrote:

@RobertQc  as @will13am often says be loyal to / vote with your wallet. 

If PM does not provide the service you want at a price you want and there are other viable plans out there that meet your needs then one needs to decide what to do.   

I truely dont know what the market is for unlimited sms and limited talk, If it was large enough I am sure PM would step up.  $25 unlimited talk and text is a good/fair price 

Also I am not sure how valid your comparisons are as they do not compare apples to apples.  Please state addon costs/validity length and/ or amount of talk in each. 

+1.  Anyone pushing for overall lower pricing always gets my vote.  To micro analyze plan by plan, feature by feature is untenable.  It's not possible for every brand to completely copy other brands.  The marketing departments would screw themselves into the ground running around chasing their own tail so to speak.   In an ideal world, pricing for all features should mirror cost of delivery.  SMS uses almost no data and is cheap, cheap to deliver.  A limited usage plan is highway robbery, but what defies logic is the lack of an add-on to effect the crime.  This has been a topic of discussion, but there seems to be no appetite to sell a SMS add-on.  These discussions can turn into PhD thesis without resolution.  Add on top a monopoly market place where collusion distorts the market and the only logical and simple solution is to do a quick grumble and let a nimble wallet do all the talking.  I remain fiercely loyal to all my service providers when the symbiotic relationship makes sense.  In other words, extracting all the good there is in each.  

Happy new year to all.  Don't start breaking any resolutions until at least next week!

PM has been jumping on the "competitive response" band wagon like its going out of style, yet they do nothing comparable to the low price options of other cell phone providers regarding unlimited sms base plans.

@mimmo

I can't sell someone on an unlimited text plan for $20 that disables any chance of making a cellular call. I don't want to leave PM. I just think its silly there is this huge gap right at the $15/SMS-addon/Unlimited text world.

Unlimited text for a comparible price without making it impossible to use your phone for voice calls as PM does with the $20 texting plan. It can be 0 minutes at PM but allow you to purchase add-on minutes. Even if they remove the LD add-on talk requirement, then even the $20 plan starts to enter the competitive market.

All the other providers include or charge per minute PAYG or allow add-on minutes to be purchased in advance when there is no talk included in the lower priced unlimited text plan.

SMS add-on 50 texts for $X, 100 extra texts for $X, unlimited text for X, etc. any option that allows us to have more than 50 texts and use your cell, as a device that can use the cellular network to make calls for under $25 base plan.

mimmo

@RobertQc  as @will13am often says be loyal to / vote with your wallet. 

If PM does not provide the service you want at a price you want and there are other viable plans out there that meet your needs then one needs to decide what to do.   

I truely dont know what the market is for unlimited sms and limited talk, If it was large enough I am sure PM would step up.  $25 unlimited talk and text is a good/fair price 

Also I am not sure how valid your comparisons are as they do not compare apples to apples.  Please state addon costs/validity length and/ or amount of talk in each. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@RobertQc  is that text only no voice and no data?  if so PM starts at $20.  I assume most of the plans you mentioned include some voice, while PM does include unlimited provincial calling for $25.

Don't forget to add all the rewards. and the great community forum, and the intangible number of quirks and bugs, that is worth paying a little extra 🙂  

Happy New Year

I know the $15 Koodo is NO voice. Just texting.

@AnonymousBut you can buy it if you wanted with it "Talk add-ons available".  With PM its impossible. And those koodo add-ons last until used.

"Any unused minutes, text or data will be carried over when you renew your base plan. So it's best to pick the biggest Booster add-ons to enjoy our best per-minute or per-megabyte rate."

@mimmo wrote:

Don't forget to add all the rewards. and the great community forum, and the intangible number of quirks and bugs, that is worth paying a little extra 🙂  

@mimmo I do like being here and there are perks, its just lot extra money, $25 minus rewards if you want to have more than 50 texts and be able to ever, even once have a voice call at PM... when the other providers are not only cheaper, but also have perks and some would say better perks like 24/7 live call support.

@will13am wrote:

@RobertQc, happy new year.  I bravoed your post out of agreement for greater competition.  However, you must agree that not all brands are built the same way and no one brand is for everyone. 

@will13amI stopped listening after you said "I bravoed your post". Just kidding. Happy new year to you too. I do understand and get it. Take it for what it is, not what you want, things are different here. Speaking strictly from a price on offers how the $10 to $20 to $25 to $30 plans work there is this gap right at the $15 mark that would perfectly match the gap of unlimited text+limited talk. If I had never seen public mobile I would think its a glitch for not showing up.

@mimmoHappy new years 🙂 You are right, the BYOP $20, I added that to the OP, which is sad as its impossible to add voice even with an add on since you need talk to use talk addon, but its true you can do it but still, not at a competitive price and is more like public mobile punishing you for not paying $25, you are not allowed to buy minutes to add since "Long Distance Add-Ons require a monthly talk feature on the rate plan."

All of the other providers either include talk at that price or allow you to purchase talk for an extra price

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@RobertQc  is that text only no voice and no data?  if so PM starts at $20.  I assume most of the plans you mentioned include some voice, while PM does include unlimited provincial calling for $25.

Happy New Year

I know the $15 Koodo is NO voice. Just texting.

mimmo

Happy New Year

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@RobertQc, happy new year.  I bravoed your post out of agreement for greater competition.  However, you must agree that not all brands are built the same way and no one brand is for everyone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.