cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile should add 3G data addons

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile currently offers data addons. However, at the current rates of $10/200MB or $30/1GB, it’s expensive and appears to be billed at the LTE rates, as the $30 1GB data only plan is also LTE.

Considering that Public Mobile recently added the $5 500 Canada-wide calling addon for customers to use when they are over the allowance, having some 3G data addons to supplement usage for customers who go over their allowance would be very helpful as well.  

At a cheaper rate than the LTE addons, everyone might just end up spending more money because it’s cheaper by the gigabyte!

What do you think?  I think it would be very helpful for customers who like the 3G speeds and it’s rates and would like to be able to exceed their allowance at a reasonable rate.

10 REPLIES 10

The addons available for plan data are both LTE and Throttled Speed LTE.  Whatever plan you're on, the data is added at that speed.  In this case, you're paying for the amount of data, rather than the speed you can use it.

SomeFriend

Well I’m hoping at least they’ll match Chatr and Lucky.  Chatr charges $5 for 500MB.  Lucky also charges $5 for 500MB and also has choices of $10 for 1GB and $15 for 2GB.  These are way better rates than the $30/1GB that Public has.

@stonechucker wrote:

Overage charges at all the big 3 carriers are $8/100 mb, or $80 a GB.

if you consider that $30 for 1 GB or data at the either speed is still cheaper than the big guys.

I believe some of the other carriers do offer cheaper data add-ons but the catch is they don't roll over like PM's.  So from that perspective PM's price is pretty good, but still a bit on the expensive side.  We can hope that one day they might get a little cheaper though:)

Overage charges at all the big 3 carriers are $8/100 mb, or more, or $80 a GB.

if you consider that $30 for 1 GB or data at the either speed is still cheaper than the big guys.

@SomeFriend wrote:

@dabr Well, I’d like to bring it up again, with the newer limited plans (the $10 and $15 plans), they don’t come with a lot of usage included.  Talk is now being supplemented cheaply with the $5 500 Canada-wide minute addon, but where’s the data (and text)?

I've actually asked for this myself, maybe a couple of months ago, and I know I've read other posts suggesting the same.  So I'll second your motion for sure:)

SomeFriend

@dabr Well, I’d like to bring it up again, with the newer limited plans (the $10 and $15 plans), they don’t come with a lot of usage included.  Talk is now being supplemented cheaply with the $5 500 Canada-wide minute addon, but where’s the data (and text)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SomeFriend wrote:

@Anonymous Yes, I’m aware of that.  I’m personally a bit confused why they will bill LTE rates and still provision the data as 3G.

I was just adding to the confusion. I agree with your suggestion. Good luck with that though 🙂

SomeFriend

@Anonymous Yes, I’m aware of that.  I’m personally a bit confused why they will bill LTE rates and still provision the data as 3G.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@SomeFriend wrote:

Public Mobile currently offers data addons. However, at the current rates of $10/200MB or $30/1GB, it’s expensive and appears to be billed at the LTE rates, as the $30 1GB data only plan is also LTE.

Considering that Public Mobile recently added the $5 500 Canada-wide calling addon for customers to use when they are over the allowance, having some 3G data addons to supplement usage for customers who go over their allowance would be very helpful as well.  

At a cheaper rate than the LTE addons, everyone might just end up spending more money because it’s cheaper by the gigabyte!

What do you think?  I think it would be very helpful for customers who like the 3G speeds and it’s rates and would like to be able to exceed their allowance at a reasonable rate.

I believe that's been suggested many times around here.  Add-on data is quite expensive but at least it doesn't expire.  We can hope though:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SomeFriend 

To add to the confusion...the data add-ons will come up as LTE if your base plan has LTE OR no data component. The add-ons will come up as "3G" if you have a "3G" data component in your base plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.