cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile's Koodo Offer

d4w_public
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone know what the "Conditions Apply" refers to?

a) Can I bring my spouse's account to koodo and apply this promo OR will it only apply for the publicmobile account that received the text?

b) Does koodo have a monthly system access fee?

c) Does koodo have a one time activation fee?

d) Is Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) included?

Offer:

Bring your own phone & switch to a monthly plan with our sister-brand, Koodo to receive:

* 100 Canada-wide minutes and

* UNLIMITED International text for ONLY $15 per month AND

* a $30 bill credit

Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://Koo.do/choosekoodo

Validation code is your phone number

Offer ends June 30, 2018

Conditions apply.

43 REPLIES 43

PovertyPanda

@Dunkman

Thanks for the info, have a good one.

@PovertyPanda

Sorry to hear that.  You can try to contact moderator via Private message, but probably nothing the moderator can do for you either.  There is no "retention" department in Public Mobile.  

With your referral credits/discounts/autopay, not sure whether you will find a better deal outside Public Mobile, but good luck.  If you leave, there is absolute no chance you will get Koodo offers in the future.  From the RFD thread, there are quite a few people migrating over to PM to try to get future Koodo migration deals.  You might qualify in the future, but who knows....

PovertyPanda

I have tried my number and the numbers of all the people that I brought to public mobile. In total 5... none work. 

I am looking to cancel now.

@PovertyPanda

Sorry to hear about your inability to get the deal.  You did not get the text, but have you tried activating the promotion anyways on the Koodo website with your public mobile number?  some people were able to get deal even without the text.  On the Koodo site, put in the generic promo code with your public mobile number. 

Not sure we understand who actually got the recent promo and the reasons why.  It looks like most people had the $40 per month with data plan.  If you have a cheaper plan, you may not qualify.  These deals come often and hopefully, you will get one in the near future if the above advice doesn't work.  

Check out the massive RFD thread

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-35-5gb-40-8gb-public-mobile-migration-plus-180-bill-credit-221...

PovertyPanda

What I want to know is why I do not have an offer for the 40$ 8 gig switch.

I brought a number of people to public mobile, but I don't get an offer that will save me money?

I am thinking of just cancelling all together. I am actually pretty upset over this.

Konadian87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Koodo has $30dollar actiavation instore however you can get refer credit of 50dollar if ur friend is with koodo and also online has no activation fee

floflocat

May I use this migration promo to add a new phone account for my husband, so that he will have a new Koodo phone account and I still keep my PM phone account? Thanks in advance!

floflocat

@JL9 wrote:

@floflocat wrote:

Hi, I received this offer and would like to let my husband take this offer. I'm planning to do the migration online. Will my PM number be automatically ported to Koodo?

TIA!

You would have to do online setup/activation and request the port for that number.

@JL9 thank you for the answer!

floflocat

@Anonymous wrote:

@floflocat, Offers received via text message are only available to the person (phone number) who received the message.  They are not transferable.  Thus if you are interested in the offer, your number would be the one transferred.

@Anonymous very clear! thank you!

@floflocat wrote:

Hi, I received this offer and would like to let my husband take this offer. I'm planning to do the migration online. Will my PM number be automatically ported to Koodo?

TIA!

You would have to do online setup/activation and request the port for that number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@floflocat, Offers received via text message are only available to the person (phone number) who received the message.  They are not transferable.  Thus if you are interested in the offer, your number would be the one transferred.

floflocat

TIA!

hocuspocus

Up to Legal to decide since we do not know the scope of this. It is best practice to NOT use sensitive data as an identifier.

Changes are coming to federal privacy laws in Canada to align with GDPR.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hocuspocus wrote:

GDPR still applies if you do business with anyone from the EU, including tourists on vacation or employees traveling to Canada on business that decide to sign up with Public Mobile. Or perhaps partnerships from roaming agreements with EU carriers.

@hocuspocus the latter is not an issue since PM has no roaming agreements with any carriers other than AT&T and T-Mobile in the USA.  For tourists and visitors, the likelihood of them sending referrals to other people seems low.  I still think this is a stretch.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hocuspocus

The thing is, I don't even know for certain if it is from a referral or obtain through other means.  There are ways to obtain a phone number and it does not take much effort to guess until you get a valid one if you know where to look.

To be honest, I don't care if someone uses my phone number for a deal.  I wasn't going to take the Koodo deal but I do care that I *could* be disqualified on any future offers presented.

And yes, I completely agree that Public Mobile needs to rework their verification method.  GDPR still applies if you do business with anyone from the EU, including tourists on vacation or employees traveling to Canada on business that decide to sign up with Public Mobile. Or perhaps partnerships from roaming agreements with EU carriers.

srlawren

@hocuspocus while I sympathize with your situation, GDPR does not apply here at all since, well, PM has nothing to do with Europe.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@hocuspocus wrote:

Someone obtained my phone number through a referral inquiry and used it to apply for a Koodo promotional offer.  I found out that I am no longer eligible for the offers that are currently active.  Will this impact my eligibility to get offers in the future? I would like a response from @CS_Agent or anyone that is an official representative of Public Mobile to confirm.

I checked this website (by adding a sim card and entering a promo code which then prompted for my phone number to check for eligiblity).  I am no longer eligible.

https://www.koodomobile.com/bring-your-own-phone

Will you be modifying the referral program to use a different ID instead of a customer's phone number for distribution?  I believe you may be in violation of GDPR.

https://eugdprcompliant.com/personal-data/

Thank you.

This is unfortunate, but I will say that anyone who already knows you shouldn't have to ask for your phone number.  I'm not criticising you, but In addition to thinking twice about giving your phone nunber out, I wouldn't openly admit trying to get referals by getting strangers to say that they were refered by you.  Surely, that isn't how Public Mobile intended the referal system to work, and I'm almost certain that they have a clause to disqualify anyone they see fit.

Saying that, an acquaintance, not-so-close friend, in-law, or coworker could do something like this without your knowledge.  I agree that the migration offer eligibility verification method is flawed.

hocuspocus

Someone obtained my phone number through a referral inquiry and used it to apply for a Koodo promotional offer.  I found out that I am no longer eligible for the offers that are currently active.  Will this impact my eligibility to get offers in the future? I would like a response from @CS_Agent or anyone that is an official representative of Public Mobile to confirm.

I checked this website (by adding a sim card and entering a promo code which then prompted for my phone number to check for eligiblity).  I am no longer eligible.

https://www.koodomobile.com/bring-your-own-phone

Will you be modifying the referral program to use a different ID instead of a customer's phone number for distribution?  I believe you may be in violation of GDPR.

https://eugdprcompliant.com/personal-data/

Thank you.

yucango

It will take time to figure out the pros and cons.  the competition profits all of us consumers.

Penndroid

Well considering it's supposed to be Canada wide under you own post seems to suggest it's more an advantage to be in other provinces other than those in the Maritimes. And also being that Public Mobile only offers up a handful of plans ...just what would Telus be offering or "targeting" as you put it to plans to upgrade ? I'm rolling with the top plan PM offers plus ...so are you suggesting just to be clear it's based advantage wise on Province and targeted Plan ? Seems like a disadvantage to alot of Canadians on PM if it's only regulated to certian Provinces and or plans choice Telus targets ...(please correct me if I'm misunderstood in your posting )

srlawren

@Penndroid wrote:

Spoke to a Koodoo rep after waiting 22 mins on the phone (recording said 4 to 12 min wait!! uggg!) Anyway one has to recieve a text from Public Mobile first than has to go in store show text or go to Koo.do/choosekoodo . After that a "credit check" than pick a phone or sim or both and than plan which has to be a month to month obligation/verbal agreement or 2 yr agreement/contract. And that's only if you get picked for a Text...to me this isn't a "PROMO" it's a gee I hope I get Willy Wonka golden ticket !! And even with the ticket have to jump through hoops and barrels for credit checks and plans /obligations ....one wonders this could be done by merely joining Koodoo ..one doesn't have to be a Public Mobile customer to get a plan like this or promo for being a new customer..which makes this moot ...it's no favor other than think your special merely if you get picked /sent a promo pin/code 

@Penndroid depending on your province, this "promo" plan may or may not be a great deal, but barring a few "lucky" provinces (Quebec, Manitoba, and I think still Sask), this is probably still a better plan than you could get from Koodo just walking in without the migration offer.

The "hoops" you describe (other than waiting for a migration offer text) are all the same if you walk in off the street to sign up for a post-paid plan--they always need to do a credit check for these, with or without a phone purchase on tab.  And as for getting a migration offer, they seem to be coming fast and furious the last few months.  It's not a "luck" thing per se or random, Telus are targetting certain PM plan holders and offering them specific migration plans at Koodo; it's likely only a matter of time until whatever plan you're currently on comes up in their scope.

Penndroid

Spoke to a Koodoo rep after waiting 22 mins on the phone (recording said 4 to 12 min wait!! uggg!) Anyway one has to recieve a text from Public Mobile first than has to go in store show text or go to Koo.do/choosekoodo . After that a "credit check" than pick a phone or sim or both and than plan which has to be a month to month obligation/verbal agreement or 2 yr agreement/contract. And that's only if you get picked for a Text...to me this isn't a "PROMO" it's a gee I hope I get Willy Wonka golden ticket !! And even with the ticket have to jump through hoops and barrels for credit checks and plans /obligations ....one wonders this could be done by merely joining Koodoo ..one doesn't have to be a Public Mobile customer to get a plan like this or promo for being a new customer..which makes this moot ...it's no favor other than think your special merely if you get picked /sent a promo pin/code 

@Dunkman wrote:

@NiallR wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get the switch to koodo 6GB for $40? 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/07/17/public-mobile-offering-40-6gb-switch-koodo-mobile/ 

Would switch tomorrow if I had a promo code

thanks! 

Unfortunately, this offer is by Invite only.  YMMV.  The customer gets a text message offering this deal.  Only the texted person can access this deal.  Hopefully, you wil get this text sometime soon.  It is difficult to predict which customers get this promo text.  

Here is the RFD forum thread about this deal.  Might offer more details that may help you.  

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-koodo-40-6gb-ymmv-2208379/

@NiallR wrote:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/07/17/public-mobile-offering-40-6gb-switch-koodo-mobile/ 

thanks! 

Unfortunately, this offer is by Invite only.  YMMV.  The customer gets a text message offering this deal.  Only the texted person can access this deal.  Hopefully, you wil get this text sometime soon.  It is difficult to predict which customers get this promo text.  

NiallR

thanks! 

@torontokris wrote:

@ricksanchez wrote:

Koodo does indeed offer the better plan, 50 minutes from PM seem to include incoming calls...

Why is PM not doing anything about it?

Are you sure the PM plan includes incoming calls? I didnt think so but I dont have the plan

You are correct.  That plan does not include unlimited incoming calls.  To my knowledge, Public Mobile has never offer a plant hat includes unlimited incoming calls, with the exception of plans that include both unlimited incoming and outgoing calls. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ricksanchez wrote:

Koodo does indeed offer the better plan, 50 minutes from PM seem to include incoming calls...

Why is PM not doing anything about it?

Are you sure the PM plan includes incoming calls? I didnt think so but I dont have the plan

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I am very surprised to read that they have a targeted migration offer for the $10 talk and text plan. It hasn't even been around for that long lol

Agreed but more money is more money = more arpu

Get people in the door with a cheap plan and see if you can get them to spend more.

srlawren

@MoreYummy wrote:

So this is for those has $10 plan ?   

What's detail plan if move to koodo?

@MoreYummy please note that this info was included by @d4w_public in the original post:

@d4w_public wrote:

Offer:

Bring your own phone & switch to a monthly plan with our sister-brand, Koodo to receive:

* 100 Canada-wide minutes and

* UNLIMITED International text for ONLY $15 per month AND

* a $30 bill credit

Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://Koo.do/choosekoodo

Validation code is your phone number

Offer ends June 30, 2018

Conditions apply.

So this is for those has $10 plan ?   

What's detail plan if move to koodo?

Need Help? Let's chat.