cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile in Mexico

oildrips
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Will my PM phone work if I go to Mexico? Anything special I need to do to make it work?

10 REPLIES 10

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Best solution is actually just get a local sim.  I paid 100pesos 5$ and got 1gb data free north american calling and free Facebook WhatsApp and Twitter I think.  It was moviestar network.

Any reason a thread from 2016 is being discussed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonathanbaylis, why the need to put the phone in airplane mode?  There are no roaming charges possible.  Only advantage would be to save battery power by shutting of the cell antenna.

jonathanbaylis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

While PM has great packages for roaming in the US, it doesn't in Mexico.  I suggest putting your phones in airplane mode and turning on wifi upon arrival in Mexico.  Then you can use VOIP services like Viber, Skype and Facetime from hotels with wifi.  I find that works well.

@thebestnicknar  International LD addon is different than roaming.  

It would be good to have more roaming countries.

Take a look at this idea. 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Add-more-roaming-countries-it-is-a-good-sta...

@thebestnicknar wrote:

If you have the Internation add-on, wouldn't you be able to make calls from Mexico?

Sorry, but there are no international roaming add-ons other than for the United States.

thebestnicknar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you have the Internation add-on, wouldn't you be able to make calls from Mexico?

oildrips

Good recommendation. I'll look into this for sure. 

If you have an unlocked phone, you will need to purchase a local SIM or perhaps iroam.

You could also use an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi, or cellular data. They have international calling for fee as well. While you ae away you could call your Public Mobile number from Fongo to retrieve messages.

Have fun.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

oildrips

Rats.  Not like anyone can call me at the moment anyhow 🙂  Hopefully that will get fixed today.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
No it won't. It'll only roam in the US at the moment.
Need Help? Let's chat.