cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

Reading the SIM card number on the back of my card will not tell me the SIM card number that’s apparently on file. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

@Piero1I think that's the point.. it is a pressure point.. if you want better service move up to higher tiered Telus branches like Koodo (which you came from) or Telus. Honestly any half decent book keeper can turn your phone expenses into a business expense at tax return time.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

@Piero1Sounds like you got SIM jacked. and maybe it turns out someone is trying to get into your bank accounts or "out to get you" after all.

 


@Piero1 wrote:

Reading the SIM card number on the back of my card will not tell me the SIM card number that’s apparently on file. 




Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

It’s been 17 hours. Six hours of business hours. I have back ups but my house internet is down.... I had to take my daughter’s cell phone today... no phone company has THESE issues. Number lost in cuber space for 5 days. Can’t fix the problem. Billing me three times for initial set up and refusing to refund my money when they were not authorized to take out three payments. I left for a reason. I thought maybe they had fixed some of their issues. I was with them for two years. Left for a year and now that I’m back it’s aparently worse then ever. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?


@Piero1 wrote:

I can not find my SIM card number on the account to check that. Where would I find that? It doesn’t say there is any usage what use would my number be to anyone. I run a small business no ones out to get me... if I had a big business I wouldn’t be trying to save $20/month...


Log into your account and on the first page under the "my profile" box you will find a line that says "change Sim card.  It will bring up a new page that shows the last 4 digets of the card that is supposed to be in your phone.  It MUST match the number on the back ot your actual SIM card

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

@Piero1for that 17 hours.. sounds like someone has been pillaging your identity.. good luck.

 


@Piero1 wrote:

It’s been 17 hours. Six hours of business hours. I have back ups but my house internet is down.... I had to take my daughter’s cell phone today... no phone company has THESE issues. Number lost in cuber space for 5 days. Can’t fix the problem. Billing me three times for initial set up and refusing to refund my money when they were not authorized to take out three payments. I left for a reason. I thought maybe they had fixed some of their issues. I was with them for two years. Left for a year and now that I’m back it’s aparently worse then ever. 


 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

So I save 30% of the total bill? Yeah I know how that works. It’s not a free phone line! Everybody thinks that because I can “write it off” it’s free. I still pay for that service!

Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile down?


@Piero1 wrote:

So I save 30% of the total bill? Yeah I know how that works. It’s not a free phone line! Everybody thinks that because I can “write it off” it’s free. I still pay for that service!


Yes. But you count it against your income which lowers your income tax bill. And you get to flow through the GST (or even HST if you have that) ie. net those taxes against what you collect in that you basically don't pay the GST either. You might be getting a little stipend for collecting provincial taxes too.

Not a lot of sympathy here. I DO have sympathy for your service problems and what *might* be happening to you.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile down?


@pjmac177 wrote:

@Piero1 wrote:

I can not find my SIM card number on the account to check that. Where would I find that? It doesn’t say there is any usage what use would my number be to anyone. I run a small business no ones out to get me... if I had a big business I wouldn’t be trying to save $20/month...


Log into your account and on the first page under the "my profile" box you will find a line that says "change Sim card.  It will bring up a new page that shows the last 4 digets of the card that is supposed to be in your phone.  It MUST match the number on the back ot your actual SIM card


Unfortunately, as you say, it only shows the last 4 digits. I think it should show all digits.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile down?

So...do the 4 digits match???.  If so, I'd be looking elsewhere for solution