cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Global Text

ShahzadGQ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi, I was wondering with the new PM update to do Globel Text instead of Canada Wide, what countries are included in Global Text?? Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

Jules1795
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the quick response - I guess my only option will be to use whatsapp to keep in touch.  Good to know before I head off!

@Jules1795 

Only if in the USA, you can buy a 10 day US roaming package.  Unfortunately, PM does not have other international roaming packages. 

Jules1795

I'm glad I read this post - I misunderstood and thought that I could text back home to Canada while in Europe - but you said that you can only text from Canada to other countries.  Does PM have an add-on (for a month) that will let me text from abroad?

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I guess you joined before global was the only option.

srlawren

@manypips okay I'm sorry but I still don't understand.  Depending when you signed up, yes there may have been a choice of either Canada-wide texting or what was at the time called international texting (now called global texting).  

So, do you need any assistance?  Do you have any questions?  All I've seen so far are some ambiguous statements.  Please try to express the issue if you are indeed having one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

manypips

I looked at my account detail is canada only, not global txt when I joined.

srlawren

@manypips I'm struggling to understand the issue.  First of all, your plan can't change on its own.  Secondly, as of about mid-summer, PM no longer even offers any plans that include Canada-wide texting only--they only offer either global texting or no texting, it's all or nothing.

The only thing I can think of is that you misunderstood what "global" texting meant, and thought it meant you could send and receive text messages *from* anywhere on the globe.  That is, you could travel to USA, France, Europe, China, Australia, India, etc., and be able to send and receive texts?  If that sense, the global texting could be considered "only Canada" because it allows you to text with people around the globe but only while you are physically in Canada.  Is this what you're talking about?

If not, could you please provide some more details of your situation?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
I would try a few more numbers

Rockdaddy22
All countries are included, it shouldn't be a problem. Please tell me more.

Rockdaddy22
What country are you trying to text?

manypips

I'm signed up 90 days plan with global txt, but now only Canada txt.

srlawren

@manypips I share @Rockdaddy22's question:  what do you mean?  And did you have a question or was that a statement?  

Rockdaddy22
What do you mean?

manypips

I have global text, but now canada only

srlawren

@manichauhan my pleasure.  

I didn't want to overload you with info, but there are data-based ways you can sort of work around the problem of not being reachable on your regular (public mobile) phone number.  If you're curious for more details and planning to buy service overseas that includes mobile data, let me know.

manichauhan

@srlawren - Thank you for the information and tips. This is greatly appreciated.

srlawren

Hi @manichauhan,

The short answer is no, that will not work, and you will get no services at all (including text) from PM while outside of Canada.

The longer answer is that PM has no roaming agreements internationally, so as soon as you leave Canada, your phone will lose service.  If you need services in your destination country(s), you will need to use a global roaming service such as iRoam (I beleive they work in the UK but have never tried), or purchase a pre-paid SIM from a local provider once you land in your destination country and use their services while away.

The Global texting option in the PM plans is to send and receive texts to international phone numbers but only while you are physically whtihing Canada.

EDIT: just realized I neglected to say: welcome to the Public Mobile community!  Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.  And for quickest answers, it's usally better to start a new thread than to reply to other existing threads whenever possible.  Cheers!

manichauhan

With Global Text (which is an included service with PM) is it possible for someone to be able to send/receive text messages while in a different country other than Canada? If so would there be any additional costs applied? For simplicity if was out of Canada would I be able to text back into Canada from UK or from UK to any other country?

It's not that much, and to be sure, if you compare to the competition, PM is relatively cheaper, and still as reliable. PM can only do what makes sense, and what would be more easier to manage.

Example, some PPL on the Now Gone Canada-Wide Txt tried to use CERTAIN Short Codes, though Canadian, encountered the message, Sorry, But your Short Code Message will not work on Canada-Wide Txt.

The Global solved those issues, and to have a separate Canada-Wide would be pointless.

socialcocoon
How is it for the better when there's now no cheaper option than global? I will likely never use global text yet I'm still paying for it.

More options = more flexibility = more choice. Yes, that also means more overhead and more confusion for those who want to keep things simple.

That I would agree with. Txt is Txt, and one that gave all the best without issues is A#1

srlawren

Hi @ShahzadGQ, hopefully @Shazia_K has answered your question.  

One small point of clarification also:  international texting didn't just get introduced at Public Mobile, it just used to be an option in the previous plans--you used to be able to pick no texting, Canada-wide texting, or international texting.  Now it's all or nothing--no texting, or global texting.  The choices were simplified, for the better IMHO.

True

FYI All means everywhere "allowed"; unfortunately some countries block, or have incompatible systems. Smiley Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Shazia_K, thanks for the clarification

@ShahzadGQ, your question has been answered. All Countries covered

ShahzadGQ
Thank You for clearing that up!😃

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @ShahzadGQ

Global text = anywhere around the globe with no restrictions 🙂

Cheers, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

ShahzadGQ
Is there a list of some sort telling us which ones are and which ones aren't?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I'd assume all of them, but could be wrong, but hoping all

Need Help? Let's chat.