cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile $10 Plan - Response to Covid-19

atan2003
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

During these difficult times, it would be great for those in need for TELUS to bring back the the Public Mobile $10 Plan. Maybe throw in a one-time 1 GB data promo so that everyone can stay connected during social distancing.

26 REPLIES 26

@mimmo wrote:

The 15$ plan does offer much better value unlimited incoming calls and 250mg of data.  I believe that this is the better option.

NOT for everyone.

@Melinda_H  How about bringing this back?

@ryanrudolf wrote:

I would definitely jump in when they offer back the 10$ plan. For now I am OK with the 15$ plan. Not really a heavy user, still have 93mins left and have ~2weeks to go before renewal!

$15

-$2 for autopay = 250mb of Data 

-$1 for 1 year loyalty 

-$3 for referrals 

================== 

= $9 per 30 days 

I thought similar when I had Talk 100 with Telus Loyalty $100 a year 

I never thought I would ever want Data. But it is handy and have not used over 80mb

Hands down. Public Mobile $15 plan for the light user is FANTASTIC!

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would definitely jump in when they offer back the 10$ plan. For now I am OK with the 15$ plan. Not really a heavy user, still have 93mins left and have ~2weeks to go before renewal!

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I thought it became illegal to charge for incoming texts, for that very reason you have no control... Thought I had heard that years ago

There's no law against that. It's just that carrier received backlash for charging for something that can't be rejected. 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I thought it became illegal to charge for incoming texts, for that very reason you have no control... Thought I had heard that years ago

@LurganIeUk wrote:

D6BD5944-8C3D-4042-8843-BCE93F95CF08.jpeg

@LurganIeUk   I can see how telus gets you with $0.50 per *incoming texts as well when you go over the plans included 50. Unless you block your texting after 50 they could really add up since you have no real control over incoming texts.

** I can't tag you unless your name appears in the box?!

@dabr wrote:

@LurganIeUk  wrote:

My MIL has that plan and for months has had no activity. Uses for an emergency phone while walking in New Westminster.

@LurganIeUk  If you MIL is committed to staying with Telus on the $10 plan and doesn't think paying an extra $3 (autopay discount) at PM for $15 plan to give her more minutes etc., then paying $100/year might be a tad cheaper, albeit with less minutes obviously than the $10 plan?

She is 92. We are at the stage if it ain’t broken we don’t fix!

I set up her smart TV. Logged it on to wifi, created a Samsung account, installed the Netflix app, signed it on. And some how due to very poor sight, hearing, and always over presses remote keys has totally screwed it up. I gave her written instructions with pics too. Spent 1/2 hour on FaceTime to try to fix......no go. She is in semi lock down so the 20 minute fix won’t happen for awhile. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I used to be on a Telus $8.33 prepaid plan 

Wife and I could call each other free, but only in the confines of our calling area. 

Any others local calls 10 cents a minute

60 cents a minute LD 

probably another 50 cents a minute more USA. 

Texts 50 cents each. 

PM provides more for less $. 

Yep, we've had the $10 plan from Telus in the past.  It was more to use up the credit in the account left over from being originally on the $100/yr plan for one of the lines.  It served it's purpose at the time, but as soon as PM offered the $10 plan along with some sign up bonus $25 for both referrer/referred about a year and half ago, it was a no brainer to switch 🙂

I used to be on a Telus $8.33 prepaid plan 

Wife and I could call each other free, but only in the confines of our calling area. 

Any others local calls 10 cents a minute

60 cents a minute LD 

probably another 50 cents a minute more USA. 

Texts 50 cents each. 

PM provides more for less $. 

@LurganIeUk  wrote:

My MIL has that plan and for months has had no activity. Uses for an emergency phone while walking in New Westminster.

@LurganIeUk  If you MIL is committed to staying with Telus on the $10 plan and doesn't think paying an extra $3 (autopay discount) at PM for $15 plan to give her more minutes etc., then paying $100/year might be a tad cheaper, albeit with less minutes obviously than the $10 plan?

@dabr wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@LurganIeUk   That's a very poor plan as it only has 50 local calls (in/out) and 50 texts.  PM's discontinued $10 plan offered 50 Canada wide calls, plus 50 outgoing texts/unlimited incoming texts, plus with autopay it was only $8.  However, I don't believe PM will bring it back anytime soon, plus the $15 (really $13) is really inexpensive option especially when adding the $5/500 mins add-on option to it. 

Yes I know!!! I was only answering @AE_Collector 

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Triguy wrote:

You could signup for the $15 plan and with a few referrals lower your costs to $10.

Agreed. $15 dollar plan with Autopay = $13. Add community activity of $1 = $12. Add two referrals and you're at $10 already. Or add $1 loyalty and one referral and you're there as well.  

If $10 plan is introduced, it will be just a barebones plan and not really much different from competitors so no gain for PM.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@LurganIeUk   That's a very poor plan as it only has 50 local calls (in/out) and 50 texts.  PM's discontinued $10 plan offered 50 Canada wide calls, plus 50 outgoing texts/unlimited incoming texts, plus with autopay it was only $8.  However, I don't believe PM will bring it back anytime soon, plus the $15 (really $13) is really inexpensive option especially when adding the $5/500 mins add-on option to it. 

Are there still $10 voice only plans out there? I though that PM deleted their $10 plan because others had done the same. With all the extra rewards at PM it isn't really fair to just compare advertised price and if that becomes a significant problem for PM I would hate to see them lower the perks to lower the price further. Hopefully everyone is carefully comparing the real cost at PM.

AE_Collector

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Honestly, as a recent koodo switch, the prices here are great. My "covid plan" here is 12 dollars cheaper than I was paying there for the same things. 

Also don't forget others plans recently went UP (how during a world wide income crisis I'd love to know, but they did...)! I'd say we're not doing too badly at all... I'm all for saving money but here? We already are... 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@atan2003 That would be a great idea. Some of my friends lost their jobs unfortunately and have to switch providers. However, even $15 for them is expensive now, so they consider $10 alternatives from other providers.

They are paying ME to be on the $15 plan currently. 

AE_Collector

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could signup for the $15 plan and with a few referrals lower your costs to $10.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The social distancing is putting everyone, every company at a standstill.  I don't expect a whole lot more than what has already been offered.  I am sure that business is way down at the carriers due to mass closure of retail locations.  Somebody has to pay for a promo and there is no payee here.  

13 plan is definitely better, but 8 plan will also wins all those who need only pay as you go. And if their needs do change it's literally click away to upgrade.

That was a great bate too. I won once a referral after I showed the loyalty and that eventually it will go down to $3. Well she eventually upgraded and still happy as that upgrade on speakout would have been more expressive

I think they are very unlikely to do anything with pricing of existing plans or new low end plans as a Covid-19 response because that stirs up the competitors to match or one up PM. More likely to see small offers related to add-ons I would say. Publuc Mobile is already at tge best end of the pricing scale, the easiest to adjust plans up or down as needed and customers are able to suspend payments for 90 days and keep their plans alive with just a $15 payment one month out of four.

But, never say never, all it would take to bring the $10 plan back would be one of the other  guys bringing their $10 plan back,

AE_Collector

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The 15$ plan does offer much better value unlimited incoming calls and 250mg of data.  I believe that this is the better option.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@atan2003  how about making the $15 plan the $10 one, lower the $25 plan to $20 and the $35 to $30, with 2 gigs + the 500 mb for autopay. That to me, makes more sense than bringing back the 50/ 50 plan.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@atan2003 

That would be great, however, I will take what we get now 🙂 The plans are super cheap right now anyways 13$ with autopay.
PM does have the  1 GB data on promo right now at 50percent off
1gb data=15$ currently for limited time 🙂

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I like the idea

Since people have hard time paying their bills, it would be better to go down to very affordable 10 (and have it for emergency only add most ppl are at home save have access to different lines) then to go suspended.

Need Help? Let's chat.