cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province-wide Calling from Moosonee

KoolADE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was in Moosonee over the weekend, but couldn't make any calls to Ontario numbers because they were considered long distance, even though I have province-wide calling. I had to use voip with my data connection (thankfully there was LTE)

Is this a known issue, or is there some list of places that are exempted from province-wide calling?

10 REPLIES 10

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@arkw wrote:
Moosonee has one Bell tower (700MHz, 800MHz), St-Rupert, QC across the border also has a Bell tower (700MHz, 1900Mhz), though they at least 100km away from each other. Eastmain, QC is then another 150km northeast has a Bell tower (700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz).

What phone do you have? It might be connecting to the 1900Mhz signal across the border.

Those ranges seem a little high to be picking up a signal from though?

arkw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Moosonee has one Bell tower (700MHz, 800MHz), St-Rupert, QC across the border also has a Bell tower (700MHz, 1900Mhz), though they at least 100km away from each other. Eastmain, QC is then another 150km northeast has a Bell tower (700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz).

What phone do you have? It might be connecting to the 1900Mhz signal across the border.

Not going to lie, I had to Google Maps that area lol

I'm skeptical it was a Quebec tower due to distance though

Well now @srlawren , I agree that is likely the cause of the problem. The current resolution is provisioning @KoolADE's account with Canada wide calling for no charge. This can only be done by the moderators.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite it might not be a phone # exchange issue.  Looking at Moosonee on a map, it looks pretty close to the Quebec border.  I'm betting it was picking up a tower on the other side of the border.

@KoolADE this is a well known issue, and commonly affects people around Ottawa/Hull/Gatineau areas.  Here's a recent example, but it has come up many times:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Long-distance-minutes-wasted-because-of-...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@KoolADE Calling Ontario from Moosonee should not be long distance. Send any moderator a private message ( @Mary_M for example) with your phone number and a list of the problematic phone numbers. Coverage is currently: Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oh man that sucks.  There's probably no way to override to a closer tower either. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@KoolADE, I don't know the geography of the area but as stated above could you possibly have connected to a Quebec tower as I have read that there has been issues with province border towns where they will connect to an out of province tower and therefore creating an issue with your home province calling, and thinking it is long distance.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

ahhhh double post

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

THere shouldnt be an exemption, province wide is province wide.  BUt is it possible you were picking up a quebec cell tower?

Need Help? Let's chat.