cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promo plan activation is fault.

FlaGship
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, recently I received an email from Public Mobile with offer to get an extra 2Gb of data with activation of new account with plan over $35, before August 13.

So I activated new $35 plan account and sim card in Walmart but in time of registration I put a promo code and it was not accepted.

For present time in my new account the extra 2Gb doesn't appear.

Could you please advise me - should I wait or I need to ask you to correct my account before August 13?

Thank you for help!

19 REPLIES 19

@FlaGship 

Did pm or the CSA offer any kind of credit or anything or do you just have two accounts atm? I have laid out the scenario for keeping the two accounts. If you don't want or need the account still schedule the plan change and suspend it and in December as described you can reactivate load any freebies and give the sim card as an xmas present to a relative or friend. Just change over the info in the account and help the new owner to get in touch with the CSA's to change the email and account pin #. Of you can donate the SIM card to a local women's shelter or homeless organization and work with the director or a worker to change the email and pin # before donation.

Edit: If you donate I can give you a card # for autopay so the recipient can get the $2 reward but pay by voucher. Private message me if thats the case.

@FlaGship FREE covid summer or Covid-free summer??   Enjoy!!

FlaGship

Thanks so much to everybody who participated this conversation!

So, as it was my "fault" I purchased a new sim card and did activation as *Asterix said - I've got bonus 2Gb of data.

It was fun example about free meat on the street. But that story needs to be corrected - PM offered me free meat in to my face and after that PM turn around to the wall and started whispering about 3 hours of presentation. It was quiet "fine print" whispering, I am old man so I didn't hear well... Sorry about this.

Thank you very much to everybody! Enjoy free COVID summer!

@FlaGship 

This is the one term of the conditions that I haven't argued because it's very firm and reasonably so for the very fact that pm pays a commission on retail activations. Hopefully you haven't ported in a phone number then I would suggest you order a $4.99 SIM card from CCS. It will arrive in 5 business days or less depending on your location's distance from Toronto.

Now how lucky do you feel? This promo does say it ends on August 13th but it's had expiry dates  before that have come and gone....maybe an Oracle can tell us if that is a firm date? If this promo gets extended til the end of August I would try and wait til the beginning of the last day ( Just after midnight est) and activate then....referring yourself. Then you schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan for the account you just activated.

On the night of your renewal at about 5 minutes after midnight eastern you log in to your self serve account and check to see if your rewards ($2 autopay+$1 referral=$3) have been applied to your available funds and reflected in your payment history. Which should show .....

$10 bonus referral credit+$2 autopay=$12+$3 rewards($2 autopay+$1 referral)=$15

Once your rewards are applied you suspend your service via lost/stolen. You keep this account suspended until early December (day 88/89) around December 6th or 7th? Once you resume your plan will automatically renew because you have the exact amount needed to pay for your new plan $15.

Hopefully pm continues its " more the merrier" campaign of free data add ons and international calling minutes. You load those on both of your accounts. Then if you like and due to the holidays you know you will be on WiFi a lot suspend the $35 plan while you use your 30 days of service on the $15 plan.

Just instead suspend it via lost/stolen before midnight est of your renewal. This will keep your voicemail intact and active. You can leave a message directing callers to your other phone number or you can just check your messages and return calls or text them to call you back on the alternate number. Once your 30 day cycle is up suspend keeping your voicemail intact and reactivate the $35 plan for the next 90 days. Repeat.

With the autopay reward and the referral credit other than your initial $35 plan payment it will only cost you $26 to keep the account active for nearly a year with possibly 2gb of data and free minutes at xmas and if these random reactivation gifts continue you may also get the $5/500 min add on or a data add on to boot....a few days after reactivating your service.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no trap. The asterisk leads you to the answers to your questions.

Sure it is a trap! Tell this to @FlaGship as all they could see is “Offer available to new customers who activate online.” If it would be clear for them, we wouldn’t have this discussion now!

Nothing new about this problem, I have seen this mentioned for the entire time I have been here (starting to get close to three years now).

I have seen response like “it WAS activated online! I watched the guy at Walmart activate it on his computer”!

Using the term “Online” causes endless confusion. It needs to be “Do it Yourself Activation” versus “Dealer Activation”.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LEGO : Guy sidles up to you on the street ...Hello good sir may I interest you in this free side of beef. You say sure. He says but you will need to come in and sit through my condo sales presentation for 3 hours. Ah. No thanks. Or of course you figure you can say no and leave with the side of beef.

There's no trap. The asterisk leads you to the answers to your questions.

I really think  the fact that PM needs to pay for the instore activation is the reason.   That's why  most promos are trying to stay with online only.

LEGO

@computergeek541 & @hTideGnow ,

You don't have to convince me as I know the rules, but how would a new customer (or the one that never participated in the Community) know this and avoid the trap? 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FlaGship : Always investigate the * 🙂 If you did not transfer over a number (you picked a new one) then you could do that - get a new SIM and activate a new account. But you won't get the money you just spent back.

If you did transfer over a number then that's all a whole lot trickier and expensive.

@FlaGship it always the fine print that hurts

But, the post on the Community Announcement clearly stated that it is online only

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-2GB-of-monthly-bonus-data-fo...

You can try to open a ticket with PM but  I am not sure they will honour it, but not hurt to try

Also, you need to put in the code "2GBBONUS" for the promo.  I don't think the instore portal allows this code to be entered anyway

LEGO

@FlaGship 

I think you should bring this to Public Mobile attention and ask for resolution!
Click on the chat symbol in the lower right corner of the webpage and initiate a support ticket OR contact the Customer Support Agent (CSA) by opening a ticket here > link 
You may also send a private message to a Customer Support Agent (CSA). Here is the > link
In your message, please provide your name, Public Mobile cell number, and PIN. Do not post your private information here!
Good luck!

FlaGship

Thank you for your answer!

I found this text typed by small letters under the main text of email.

6D4AFB83-0946-4050-ACBA-5CB20B104641.jpeg

I think it's customer unfriendly way as main text has not words Online only activation - it's look like a trap.

B198C035-BC71-4DA6-88C0-EE389674A67D.jpeg

Have you ability to apply this bonus to my account or I should buy a new sim card?

Thank you!

@LEGO wrote:

@computergeek541 & @hTideGnow,

Technically a store activation should be considered as online activation as well since it is done online.

When Public Mobile says online activation, they mean an activation that isn't done at the store using the retail activation portal. I agree that the term isn't completely clear.

@LEGO   PM won't agree that.. PM have to pay store rep for Activation fee.  

Some promo will specify in-store and online both work.  This one did mention online activation only.

LEGO

@computergeek541 & @hTideGnow,

Technically a store activation should be considered as online activation as well since it is done online.

BlueB

@FlaGship 

That's a sticky situation - sometimes the Terms & Conditions are hard to navigate.  No guarantees here, but you can try contacting a CS Agent (staff) to see if they have any ideas or potentially help via the SIMon chatbot (chat bubble, lower-right corner) or here.

Walmart is known for pressuring people to activate on-the-spot, but hopefully you were able to use a referral code from a friend/family member to get a $10 credit?  We're all users helping users here with our own codes but best to help out a friend/family member as they get $1/mo off.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@FlaGship    The promo is for online activation only.  

@FlaGship wrote:

Hello, recently I received an email from Public Mobile with offer to get an extra 2Gb of data with activation of new account with plan over $35, before August 13.

So I activated new $35 plan account and sim card in Walmart but in time of registration I put a promo code and it was not accepted.

For present time in my new account the extra 2Gb doesn't appear.

Could you please advise me - should I wait or I need to ask you to correct my account before August 13?

Sorry, but this promo for the recurring 2GB bonus is only for online activations.

Need Help? Let's chat.