cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number into PM and porting PM number to another plan

selvynna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
So I basically want to port two number simultaneously, and not lose the public mobile plan or any of my number. Let me explain in detail.

I currently have a 711 speakout number which I want to port into my existing public mobile plan. My current public mobile number I want to port into a telus plan (paid for by work).

So how should I do this? If I do the speakout - public mobile port first, will my current number be unregistered?

If I port my public mobile number to telus first, will I lose my public mobile plan?

How should I do this?
35 REPLIES 35

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Thao10 wrote:
how do i choose the number i want it in the available number pool?

@Thao10

Just to be clear, the numbers offered through the number pool will be random and completely unrelated to the phone number you had with Rogers.  To get a number from PM's number pool, choose "Select a new phone number", then select the province/city.  The selector will only show you 5 random phone numbers at a time based on your city.  If you don't like any of these, you can refresh the choices by selecting a different city, then going back to the city you want.  When you find one you like, highlight it and click submit.  If you are picky about your phone number, it is admittedly a time-consuming process with limited choices, unfortunately.  Be sure you really want that number, because you can only change your phone number once every 30 days with PM.

Thao10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
how do i choose the number i want it in the available number pool?

Thao10
I did concact the moderator already. Thanks for your help.

Thao10
The situation is. I did transfer from Rogers to MP. However, somehow I got different number. Now i want to change it to my old number.

SD08

@Thao10 wrote:
No, its not the case.
I current have a number with MP and i want to change to another one with MP also.

@Thao10

If you are simply trying to switch to a new number from PM's available number pool, then in the Change Number page, you would choose "Select a new phone number", not "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider".  The second option is where you are getting the Check Eligibility test, and is unnecessary if you are getting an entirely new number.

srlawren

@Thao10 you want a brand new phone number on a single PM account?  Or you have two PM accounts and want to swap the phone numbers between the two?

If the first option, then don't choose "Select a new phone number" when you get to the Change Phone Number page, insead of clicking on "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider".  

If the second option, you'll definitely have to reach out to the moderators via private message for assistance, but I believe it is not possible.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thao10
No, its not the case.
I current have a number with MP and i want to change to another one with MP also.

srlawren

@Thao10 wrote:
How to send you a private message?

@Thao10 click on this link to send a private message to the moderator team.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thao10
How to send you a private message?

srlawren

@Thao10 sorry I think I get what you're trying to do now.

Currently you have:

Phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX at Public Mobile on acount # AAAAAA

Phone number YYY-YYY-YYYY at Some Othter Carrier 

You want to:

1) Activate a new line at Public Moible, account #BBBBBB

2) Port phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX from AAAAAA to BBBBBB

3) Port phone number YYY-YYY-YYYY from Some Other Carrier into account AAAAAA at PM

Is that right?  If so, this CANNOT be done.

The reason you're getting an error is first of all, it's not possible to port a number from one Public Mobile account to another.  You can only port a number INTO PM from elsewhere, or OUT OF PM to elsewhere.  

Also, porting automatically closes the account you are porting from.  So even if the above restriction wasn't in place, you could not achieve what you are trying to do because:

- if you port XXX-XXX-XXXX from AAAAAA to BBBBBB, account AAAAAA is automatically closed and you lost whatever plan was on it permanently.  

- if you port YYY-YYY-YYYY from Some Other Carrier into AAAAAA, you'll lose phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX in the process.

You can see how this makes your request impossible.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi Thao10,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

In order to assist you, please can you send us a Private Message?

Cheers

Abdoulaye

Thao10
I tried to change my number, but when i click the eligibility number box. There was an error message pop up say "we have difficulty to porecess your request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance."
I'm currently with PM plan

srlawren

@Thao10 we can try--what's the problem?  Please don't post any phone numbers or account numbers or other personal info here, but could you describe the problem you're experiencing a bit more so we can try?

Thao10
I have a problem changing number. Can you help?

SD08

@srlawren wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

**Sneaking in quietly, and subscribing**..

@SD08 wrote:

I'm curious too.  (Subscribed for replies.)  Cat Surprised

@SD08@zhadj030 hopefully you guys know that you don't have to reply in order to subscribe to a thread?  If you scroll to the top of the thread, there's a grey Topic Options button.  Clicking it bring up a menu of options, including "Subscribe".  The results are the same as when you subscribe by replying, but without requiring a reply.

There's nothing wrong with your replies or letting us know you're interesting in watching further replies, but just in case you did it becuase you didn't know about the option, I mentioned it.

@srlawren

Thanks. I actually tried that feature before, but the subscription was a bit inconsistent, occasionally neglecting to notify me of some responses. At least, when I last used it a whille ago.  Maybe it's better now.  On the other hand, when I subscribe by replying, I almost never miss any notifications.

@srlawren yes I know, it is a very useful option. 😉

srlawren

@zhadj030 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

@SD08@zhadj030 hopefully you guys know that you don't have to reply in order to subscribe to a thread?  If you scroll to the top of the thread, there's a grey Topic Options button.  Clicking it bring up a menu of options, including "Subscribe".  The results are the same as when you subscribe by replying, but without requiring a reply.

There's nothing wrong with your replies or letting us know you're interesting in watching further replies, but just in case you did it becuase you didn't know about the option, I mentioned it.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

This has to be one of the most frequently asked questions.  The response should be stickied. 

@will13am indeed.  @MarieHelene_L any chance of getting a knowledge base article perhaps?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This has to be one of the most frequently asked questions.  The response should be stickied. 

mimmo
Check out zoomer. 2gb promo for 40.50 /month ends 31st and includes a phone. Some zoomer retention plans after 6 months can get you 4gb/month

selvynna
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Thanks everyone for your replies. I definitely do not want to lose my PM number, so looks like I'll be shopping around for a new phone plan for my secondary number.

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@SD08

Exactly Cat Wink 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

SD08

@MarieHelene_L wrote:

@SD08

Gregory misunderstood the OP's request! He thought OP wanted to port their number. I clarified it with him 🙂 

I think it might be possible for us to manually retrieve and assign the lost number to the new Telus account. I'm not 100% sure if that's possible, but I'm positive there's probably a way to work around that 🙂 

Marie

@MarieHelene_L

Okay, thanks for the clarifications, Marie.  Smiley Happy

I guess, due to the complications and uncertainty of success, you'd still want us to continue advising customers the same as we have before, that this is generally not an option, right? 

MarieHelene_L

@SD08

Gregory misunderstood the OP's request! He thought OP wanted to port their number. I clarified it with him 🙂 

I think it might be possible for us to manually retrieve and assign the lost number to the new Telus account. I'm not 100% sure if that's possible, but I'm positive there's probably a way to work around that 🙂 

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

mimmo

@MarieHelene_L  thanks for the reply and clarification.  

That was the common assumption in the community.  The original Moderator reply by asking for a private message with account details instead of stating/ confirming that the request was not possible, made it seem like the request was actualy possible.

SD08

@MarieHelene_L wrote:

Hey everyone, 

You are all correct! Porting out your PM number will automatically close and deactivate your PM account. 

Porting in a number to your PM account will free the number linked to your account and put it back into the pool of available numbers for everyone to choose from. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions 🙂 

Marie

@MarieHelene_L

So in the case of the OP's original question here, are you saying if the customer ported the Speakout 7-11 number into the PM plan, that would release the PM number so that a Telus or PM employee can possibly retrieve it for the same customer's Telus plan?  Would that be why moderator Gregory was private messaging the OP with a request for personal information?  Just wondering why else there would be a request from a mod for details.

Thank you Marie for clarifying. 

MarieHelene_L

Hey everyone, 

You are all correct! Porting out your PM number will automatically close and deactivate your PM account. 

Porting in a number to your PM account will free the number linked to your account and put it back into the pool of available numbers for everyone to choose from. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions 🙂 

Marie

SD08

Need Help? Let's chat.