cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting away from PM, want to keep account.

gottspeed
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm porting my primary number to a voip provider so I can set up filter rules for nuisance calls, but I'd like to keep my PM account since it has a lot of loyalty bucks.

Will I be able to assign a new number to my account on PM once the port takes place?

10 REPLIES 10

I just don't answer calls or respond to texts from unrecognized numbers.

If it's important then they'll always leave me a message and a way to contact them. If it's important to them but not important to me then I'll call them back at my convenience or not at all, lol.

If it's spam, sales, survey, telemarketing, etc then they can't even tell if they've targeted a live number, they shift their unwanted attentions elsewhere after enough failed attempts.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

And yes there is no guarantees your new number won't get spammed even more than your old one. Those seem to be random (for one) and the previous owner of three number could have signed up for every sweepstake on the planet with it. If that's the case you will have to wait for another 30 days and change again

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Don't initiated the port

Talk to moderators to see if you can catch your old number once you release it with new temporary account that you can port our from without regret

Port will close your account and all the loyalties goes down the drain.

I guess you would have to open a new account and have it ready to get your old number. Then when agree with the mods just pick new number for you good old account. Yeah talk to them first if even possible

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Porting “to” a VoIP number can take days. I know that from porting from Telus home to VoIP.ms. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gottspeed , it's a long shot.  I don't know where your number is from and whether a number change will retain the number with Public Mobile.  If this number doesn't belong to the competition, you could ask the moderators to pull the number out of hibernation if you do a number change and give it back to you in a second account that you could sacrifice for porting.  This will preserve your existing account with a new number. 

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gottspeed wrote:

I'm porting my primary number to a voip provider so I can set up filter rules for nuisance calls, but I'd like to keep my PM account since it has a lot of loyalty bucks.

Will I be able to assign a new number to my account on PM once the port takes place?

1.  What makes you think a new PM number won’t have nuisance calls?

2. I guess you could ask a mod if you  can do. 

3, Don’t do it until you drain your account for $s, but what about referral rewards that you will loose??

4. Start a new PM account. Don’t tell any one your number and have all your VoIP calls forwarded to your PM account. But still no guarantee that the new PM number won’t be spammed. I don’t think your bandaid approach will work. 

5. Or learn to manage nuisance and spam calls by having an up to date contacts list and be harsh on call blocking. One must be diligent to manage to minimize spam calls. 

Bottom line...don’t like nuisance....manage your blocking as in #5. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gottspeed 

Here is some call blocker app to try them in your phone

https://www.lifewire.com/top-call-blocking-app-for-smartphones-4050085

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@gottspeed  Not a good idea because you will end up losing your rewards/credits once you port out.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gottspeed wrote:

No.  It is not possible because your account will be cancel as soon as your number is ported out.  The loyalty reward cannot be transferred to a new account.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@gottspeed No, porting will close your account.

@gottspeed wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.