cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number

Brandonlelievre
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I plan on switching to public Mobil. I’m just waiting on the SIM card. I’d like to keep my current phone number but I also want to keep my previous provider active for a month while I make sure that I want public Mobil to be my service provider. Is that possible or once I port my number my previous provider will be cancelled? 

7 REPLIES 7

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Brandonlelievre

...and to expand on what @mimmo is saying, for best practices to ensure you have a smooth port-in have a read of the following thread if you haven't already.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Start-Guide-Setup-Activation-Port-Dat...

In advance, welcome to PM!

@Brandonlelievre, if you wish to keep the Telus open for a month you could always create a new number with PM and use it.  Have all calls forwarded from your current phone number to the new one.  But like others have said some have had issues with the activation.  I have personally not had any issues with activations or payments.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It is always reccomended to get a temporary number assigned by PM first during activation just incase you run into an activation falure.  you can  try it out a couple days, then loginto self serve then initiate the port. The port is what will cancel your telus account.

When porting remmeber use account number and account name as found on telus bill.

Brandonlelievre
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks it is Telus I would be switching from. It’s not a big deal if the account gets cancelled by porting the number. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Confirmed, when you port out your plan is cancelled.  If you want to do something different you will need to work it out with that provider, but I'm not sure what , if anything, they'd be willing to do for you.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Who is the current provider?  What are the possible concerns with Public Mobile that requires an abundance of caution?  Public Mobile runs on the Telus network.  So, reception should not be a concern.  As for pricing, what you are is what you get, no surprises.  The only weak point in the service is the extremely buggy self serve portal.  Everybody has to make it past that hurdle just to set up an account.  

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I believe your plan will be cancelled when you port. You would likely still have an account for awhile but your active plan will be gone.

Need Help? Let's chat.