cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port number out sim but reuse SIM, or reuse old expired SIM

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

The most current info I can find is almost a year old and just want to double check if any thing has changed. So my 2 questions are:

1. Is it possible to port a number out of PM but still re-use the SIM for another number, as long as the account has not been completed deactivated?
  2. Is it possible to re-activate a SIM that had been deactivated, either by porting out or by expiring beyond the 90 days?

4 REPLIES 4

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Folks to keep the response plain and simple, it is no and no to the two questions.  If we start delving into the theoretical, it is going to cause confusion. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

2) In theory yes, but they do not allow it. Sim is 1 time use only. 

I'm not sure there are ANY providers that allow re-use of a defunct SIM. But of course I could be wrong.

@AnonymousAgreed, I know of none that allow this after a certain period. I assume its so they can make another $10-15 fee for sim. But in theory regardless of age and how long it has been deactivated they could still override the system (software probably does not allow it) but force the sim card number in. Deactivating a sim card does not change the network technology. If you could bypass the customer service portal and go straight to the customer database and change the field to the "deactivated" sim #, I see no reason why it would not work. But of course I have no idea and just going by the theory of programming.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

I'm not sure there are ANY providers that allow re-use of a defunct SIM. But of course I could be wrong.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

The most current info I can find is almost a year old and just want to double check if any thing has changed. So my 2 questions are:

1. Is it possible to port a number out of PM but still re-use the SIM for another number, as long as the account has not been completed deactivated?
  2. Is it possible to re-activate a SIM that had been deactivated, either by porting out or by expiring beyond the 90 days?

@pm-smayer97

1) No. The account is completely deactivated when you port out, and the sim is dead.

Need Help? Let's chat.