cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policy for seasonal break when not using phone sim in winter months, if any?

housewife
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Last few winters, when I went down to Mexico for the winter months, I switched to the $10. per month plan, because I was not using the Public Mobile sim while in Mexico. I see this year, this plan is no longer there. Telus, the right arm of Public Mobile do have a seasonal break plan to accommodate all snowbirds and folks heading south. Does Public Mobile have any plan, or discount for people like us who cannot take the cold harsh winters here in Canada?

6 REPLIES 6

The bigger question is... you’re going to Mexico this winter? I myself know of two people who didn't make it back from Mexico alive earlier this year so maybe I am letting that affect my thoughts of wintering out of the country this year.

JMHO

AE_Collector

@housewife 

Another option is before you leave change your voicemail to the extended absence greeting. You can choose whether you allow callers to leave a message or not but you can give them your "winter" number to contact you or any other method that you wish. Then just before you leave or your plan renews suspend your service via lost/stolen. This allows you to keep your credit card on file for when you need to pay $15 on day 85 to renew your service. Just report phone found (resume) after topping up your balance. But keep your sim card in Canada or out of your phone or in airplane mode.

The added bonus is you can still recieve voicemail, check it, change your settings or greeting etc....while it is suspended. Just check your voicemail when using the text now app

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@housewife 

Policu hasn't changed

You can do the same with 15 plan and if you don't mind living in every 115 days or so you can letting it expire and renew

If you have access to an old spent office or if your phone has cdma b0 and b1 while in usa you could get TextNow sim for $10, they give you unlimited calls and texts to Canada USA also free calls to landlines in uk au Sweden and more.

It's all free with their sim and they also offer very affordable data.

I would suggest to get your TextNow Canadian number before you leave and forwarded all your calls from your cell to your new number. Even if you don't get there sim u can still receive the calls and retrieve voicemail on WiFi/local data either on smartphone or web browser. On 15 plan the forwards are not counted against your allowance

@housewife wrote:

Last few winters, when I went down to Mexico for the winter months, I switched to the $10. per month plan, because I was not using the Public Mobile sim while in Mexico. I see this year, this plan is no longer there. Telus, the right arm of Public Mobile do have a seasonal break plan to accommodate all snowbirds and folks heading south. Does Public Mobile have any plan, or discount for people like us who cannot take the cold harsh winters here in Canada?

This isn't something that Public Mobile offers. 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@housewife wrote:

You have 90 days from your renewal date to make a payment to keep your account. If after 90 days your account will be closed. It is always better to add funds on the 85th day in case something goes wrong and you have a few days to fix.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@housewife wrote:

@housewife hi you can just remove cc and let your account suspend you then have 90 days to reactivate before you lose it you can then pay for 1 cycle and then let it suspend again if you need more time 

Need Help? Let's chat.