cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Please create emergency data plans for Coronavirus

Hi @toronto12323 

Early renew would be switching to a plan immediately, but switching to your own plan.

Unfortunately you cannot do it from your selfserve, but you must contact moderators. Then you would keep going 30 days from that date.

You can also buy internet temporarily. Many parts of Toronto have WiFi service, so you don't need modem or line in

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@kselmak 

I said YMMV.  

It does not hurt to ask.  What if PM gives @toronto12323 a free renewal.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@toronto12323 

A better option would be home internet from distributel starting at $9.95 and then $14.95 per month after 4 months for up to 60gb per month. 1 year would be about $160. Do you have any roommates or neighbours that you can split the bill with?

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious answer would be an example of WiFi. Its basically buying home internet and using it on your laptop, or on you phone by using your WiFi password. Some companies have you sign up for a certain term. Ie 12 months. And others, no term.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma  Indeed @toronto12323 would have to sign up for one year but since he's paying $50 per month to make up for not having home internet and willing to pay an extra $50 to renew early by downgrading to the $40 5gb plan he would saving $120 per year and the extra renewal charge. This would basically pay for his home internet for the year and gain 55gb  of wifi data a month.

Highlighted

👍👍 @darlicious it's actually a better deal than mine right now. I agree with you.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@toronto12323 Hi, what you need is just a temporary solution. There is a plan provided by Speakout (using Rogers' network) of $25. You have 3 GB of data (up to May 5, 2020). 

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promotions/ 

You can buy $35 voucher from 7-Eleven store; (you will have a free SIM under their promotion). You can set up a new account and not to use any plan until you need to use more data during your exam (of course, you have to set it up before May 5). It is a prepaid phone, if you don't have enough money to be charged in your account, you just don't have the service provided under the plan. You can change from a monthly plan to be charged by usage. 

You just pay $35+applicable taxes up front if you have a Dual-SIM phone. Hope that it helps you situation. Good luck to your exam!

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't know if this will help you, but Shaw is opening its hotspots to everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/shaw-wifi-free-1.5498349

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I agree.   I just returned to Canada from EU and following the self isolation policies.  I am in country with no internet access relying on cellular data.    I never cancelled my plan since out of country since January.  Put SIM card back in phone Mar 18.   Since then I’ve  used up my regular 40 plan.  Added data add on, then changed plan to $50 to get more gb.      

not planning to renew when used up.    The large service providers have opened up unlimited data during this time and I would have expected Public, part of Telus, to offer same

Highlighted

The only cellphone company to give any data away as of today is Freedom Mobile.  See the article in this link https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Freedom-Mobile-giving-2G-data-during-Co...

All the other companies have done is open up mobile hotspots and remove internet caps.